Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Small Vans for bike transport
  • Fabdad
    Free Member

Had been thinking of buying a Berlingo MPV but wondering if a small van might be a better bet,so recommend me a small van and any pros and cons of running a van,ie insurance and tax,stuff i might not be aware of.Ta.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I've not got much by way of useful contribution but I can tell you that you can get 10 de-wheeled bikes in a Berlingo MPV without too much trouble.

Turns out Berlingos are the best things ever.

spooky_b329

Insurance be a tad more, most small vans restricted to 50mph on A roads, 60mph on duals, 70mph on m-ways. I believe as a light commercial, tax is fixed at £185 rather than based on emissions, this is definitely the case with larger Transit type vans.

spooky_b329

Doh, double post!

IA

(new style) Berlingos are ace. 3 bikes and 3 people without taking any wheels out or anything. See my (many) previous posts on the matter.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Car derived vans (ie Berlingo/Kangoo etc style) are NOT subject to restricted speed limits.

ART

Speed restrictions also relate to weight, not just car derivation – see the other 'Berlingo' and small van threads in the last few weeks and here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/speedmanagement/vanspeedlimits

Quite a few small car derived vans exceed the weight limit and hence have speed restrictions(mine does) worth checking first if this matters to you. 😉

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Well you learn something new everyday…..

bullheart
    Free Member

We've modified a Fiamma bikerack from a campervan to fit on this, which allows five bikes and riders (due to it being a crew cab). Rarer than hens' teeth with side windows though…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Small Vans for bike transport’ is closed to new replies.