• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SLX brake hose shortening and bleeding
  • keppoch

Hello,

My brother has a set of Shimano SLX brakes. The hoses are too long and need shortening. I know this can be done without needing a bleed but it probably makes sense to get one in case it goes wrong and also in general for the future.

Whilst I am sure bleeding can be done with minimal equipment as someone who is not that confident it will probably be good to go for a kit of some sort. From experience would people recommend the Shimano one:

Shimano kit with funnel

or the Epic solutions one:

Epic solutions one

rocketman
    Free Member

Someone will be along in just a moment to say they can bleed them on a night ride using a straw and a crisp packet but personally I take them to the lbs give them £15 and let them sort it out.

Hydraulics are my kryptonite 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

The kit you linked to from Merlin is £22 without any fluid, which seems a bit steep. I linked to the bits I use, in this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-the-best-bleed-kit-for-shimano-brakes

Although, for convenience, it might be easier to get the Epic bleed one. Good tutorials on their site as well.

Don’t forget to have the appropriate amount of olives and inserts.

faustus

Shimano kit is good, easy, cheap and does what you need.

sazter

If you remove the inner bit from a syringe you have a funnel… of sorts… thats the basis of the epic one.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

tbh I bought a pair of SLX’s and cut them and re-installed without bleeding.

Just follow the instructions.

Glad I bought this though:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/hydraulic-hose-cutter.htm

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Looks a nice tool that. Mixed reviews though.

We offer something similar with no complaints as yet.

Hydraulic Brake Hose Cutter

ticsmon

I spilt a bit of fluid when I cut my hoses and needed to bleed them so be very careful. Another pair of hands would be useful. Especially when cutting the hoses

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Agreed. Make sure you have a bleed kit on hand just in case.

br
    Free Member

I spilt a bit of fluid when I cut my hoses and needed to bleed them so be very careful. Another pair of hands would be useful. Especially when cutting the hoses

Masking tape is useful, for keeping hoses ‘pointed up’.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SLX brake hose shortening and bleeding’ is closed to new replies.