Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What's the best Bleed 'Kit' for Shimano Brakes
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

I was looking at the instructions on shortening Deore hoses on the epicbleedsolutions website and was much impressed, so decided to buy a few bits and pieces from them in case I need to bleed the brakes.

But the checkout process was a farce, as far as I can see they wanted my Credit Card details over an insecure connection and when I clicked through to PayPal it had populated my billing address and delivery address with my delivery address from the previous screen. At which point I concluded that they have skills in delivering great videos and popping different size syringes into a bag but don’t inspire confidence in their web security and PCI compliance.

So I went to get it from somewhere with a decent website like CRC but their ‘kit’ seems to contain very little actual stuff, ie no syringes.

Which bits to I actually need to bleed Deaore, SLX and XT brakes and where’s best to buy them?

cheers

iainc

I use the epic one and its great. They post on here, so might be able to assist

Jamie
    Free Member

You need the bleed kit, and the funnel.

I, having no issues with the Epic Bleed website, used them for the syringe & fluid, got the funnel from Wiggle*, and some tubing from ebay.

…about £13 all in.

*Currently out of stock, but loads of other places sell it…like Halfords, CRC etc

chriswilk
    Free Member

the funnel, then just need a syringe and some tubing that can be got from ebay for a few pence. Oh – and some fluid

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Anyone bought from bigrideracing?

Jamie
    Free Member

reggiegasket
    Free Member

MityVac vacuum pump.

You’ll never bother with syringes again 😉

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

But the checkout process was a farce, as far as I can see they wanted my Credit Card details over an insecure connection and when I clicked through to PayPal it had populated my billing address and delivery address with my delivery address from the previous screen. At which point I concluded that they have skills in delivering great videos and popping different size syringes into a bag but don’t inspire confidence in their web security and PCI compliance.

The checkout process is provided by Foxycart who provide a 100% secure connection at all stages throughout the cart/checkout phases. I’m not quite sure what gave you the impression that the session was not secure but if you’d like to email me more details I’d be happy to assist further.

As for the streamlining when it comes to checking out with PayPal, this is being addressed in a forthcoming update from our shopping cart providers and hopefully it will be more efficient in the near future.

Let me finish by reminding everybody that our shopping cart is and always has been 100% secure and this can be confirmed by anyone using the website by clicking on the Digicert trust seal during the Shopping cart phase, or visiting the Foxycart website for further information.

backtothetop
    Free Member

i just went to bleed my slx rear brake with my made up kit consisting of one syringe and a length of tubing. due to tiredness i forgot to use the bleed block when pumping the lever and popped one piston out and the other went wonky and couldnt move it back! got in a strop a launched caliper somewhere, new one on the way from evans for £23, pissed off to say the least! dont rush, take your time and save yourself £23!

Have bled brakes plenty of times but sometimes things like to piss you off!

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

To address your original question though.. Our bleed kit contains everything needed to perform a full bleed or fluid replacement on any Shimano brake.

Our syringe and master cylinder bleed adaptor are designed to be used instead of the Shimano funnel and is a great alternative.

Also we now include locking syringes in our Shimano bleed kit which means our tubing will not disconnect from the syringe when applying pressure to the plunger – something which happens with even the genuine Shimano bleed kit.

Basically we aim to provide the most complete, secure and easy to use bleed kit available, and we’re actually looking to improve it further by including a device to better secure the tubing to the bleed nipple – watch this space.

GavinB

I don’t know if it’s the ‘best’ bleed kit, but I’ve now got two free ones, thanks to buying a couple of Reverbs over the last couple of years. The bleed kit which comes with them screws directly onto the top of the new Shimano brakes, so just use one syringe without a plunger as a reservoir, and plug a short length of pipe or pull the end off the other syringe for the caliper end. Works perfectly – and FREE (well, if you blank out the fact you’ve just paid c£150 for a seatpost)

core

I don’t know why you need more than just the funnel? Take cap off master cylinder, screw funnel in, put fluid in, tap lever until bubbles stop coming up, I don’t know how many brakes could be any better……

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yeah big up to epic. No problems with their site or kit.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I used the epic one, seems pretty comprehensive with their instructions – no need for the funnel – one of their syringes works in the same manner.

philfive
    Free Member

Use any syringe and pipe on the calliper and the reverb bleed kit fits the lever bleed port.

chrisellis211
    Free Member

I’m using the old AVID bleed kit for my juicy’s. The thread is the same on the syringe so it fits perfectly on top of the lever and then for the bottom I have just used a piece of tube from the nipple to the syringe. Works perfectly if you have one still lying around.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What's the best Bleed 'Kit' for Shimano Brakes’ is closed to new replies.