Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Slowcookertrackworld. Lets have your recipes then?
  • binners

Right then, you discerning culinary lot

Its bloomin freezing out there. So by my reckoning its slow cooker season again. Who doesn’t love getting home from work to the smell of something delicious wafting from the kitchen? Mmmmmmmmm

I’m going to kick off with a beef goulash tomorrow. An old favourite, but I need some new recipes

So lets have your favourites then

fanks!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bubbling away just now is some diced lamb shoulder, sliced sweet potato(*), a fair amount of sliced and diced onion(**), a couple of quartered tomatoes, covered in chicken stock with some garlic, rosemary and thyme plus a skoosh of lemon
    * should be ordinary potatoes but I’m having to drop my blood glucose levels just now and and ordinary tatties are out
    ** well shallots actually because i didn’t have any onions and couldn’t be ar5ed going out to get some.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

What do you want? I have 1400 recipes.

A good one is beef stew, use shin, ~1kg sweet potatoes, 2 red onions, parsnips, squash, enough rosmary to make you think “thats a bit much”, salt, pepper, ~500ml beef stock, 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, 1tbsp of tom puree, leave for about 10 hours.

I have some fantastic curry ones, sweet and sour chicken, a chapter on chilli, breakfasts, coffees, jams etc.

Bacon jam is also a good favourite of mine even though it has only been done once, tastes lovely.

warton
    Free Member

beef skirt
    onions
    wine

cook for **** ages

spawnofyorkshire

how do you go about thickening up your gravies/sauces in the slow cooker? Mine always come out too thin for my tastes

ratherbeintobago

Cornflour.

Top tip for adapting recipes to the slow cooker seems to be just restricting the amount of fluid added, because unlike normal cooking what’s there already doesn’t boil off so much.

thomthumb
    Free Member

chilli with beef skirt. nom nom

ton

shin beef, or brisket
    onions
    bottle of hobgoblin or old peculiar

job done.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Ton makes a very good point, beer makes for an excellent stock.

beef, onions, carrots, potatoes, salt, Guiness.

the smell alone is worth the wait.

spawnofyorkshire

anyone done a risotto in the SC?
    Just been looking at recipes and it looks quite straightforward

ton
    annebr
    Free Member

Did a lump of gammon last weekend.

2 ingredients

Gammon
    Coke cola (full fat)

delicious

edit: chuck away coke after cooking serve with white sauce

warton
    Free Member

how do you go about thickening up your gravies/sauces in the slow cooker? Mine always come out too thin for my tastes

when I brown my beef I heavily dredge it in flour, and I’m not bothered if I chuck in a bit more flour before i put the veggies and liquid in.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ll sometimes add pinhead oatmeal to thicken a sauce when cooking in a pot. Not sure if it would work in a slow cooker or not

Bunnyhop

Lamb shank is always good.
    I’m going to try venison, marinaded in red wine for 12 hours beforehand.

binners

Cheers folks. Some good ones to go at. I’m liking the sound of gammon in coke. Think I’ll have to give that a go this week

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just doing a leg of lamb in red wine/stock with onion, celery and other bits and pieces.

bamboo
    Free Member

I also find that the sauce comes out too thin, I’ll try using less stock next time, and maybe some corn flour

Do you all brown the meat off before you put it in? I never bother as it is too much effort before work to be doing that, I just lob it all in and leave on low.

cb

If you’re doing the gammon in coke, take it out, smoother it in black treacle then in the oven for 30 mins…

robdixon
    Free Member

If you’re doing the gammon in coke, take it out, smoother it in black treacle then in the oven for 30 mins..

If you’re doing the gammon in coke, take it out, cut off most of the fatty rind, score what’s left into 1cm diamonds, smear it with colmans mustard, then smother it in black treacle, put cloves in on the join of every diamond then in the oven for 30 mins..

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never been that much of a fan of slow cooker meals actually. May try some of these though.

binners

Molster – If you put it on in the kitchen when you get into the office, that’s your lunch sorted! 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

Pulled pork

Onions, garlic, a little chilli.
    Then some ketchup, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and a bit of demerera sugar.
    big lump of pork.

Wait till it falls apart shove in some rolls with JD BBQ sauce… Mmmmm

binners

Bloody hell, that sounds good wiggles! That’s one for next week!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Have just had slow cooked scallop thai green curry. I tend to put in whatever I have to hand. I thicken by cooking it with lid off on high for 30-40 mins. A load of veg, tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of beans, ketchup/tom paste, herbs, spices. Takes five minutes, ready for after work. Though in the next few weeks I am going to be doing rabbit in it, using http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/rabbit-stew/ idea courtesy of a previous thread of mine 🙂

Slow cookers were invented by a genius, it’s true.

brokensoul
    Free Member

Thanks for the inspiration, folks.
    When I saw this, I popped down to Lidl. So now I’ve got cubed steak, potato, sweet potato, onions, garlic, chilli, tomato, mangetout, courgette and Brakspear bitter cooking. Hope I’ve not overdone the variety, though.
    That’s tomorrow’s evening feed sorted.

kevj
    Free Member

Wiggles, my wife is slow-cooking pulled pork using a very similar recipe for tomorrow nights fireworks. She has prepared the pork joints and they are in the fridge until the morning. Reading your post makes my mouth water. Hmmm. Pork…

chewkw
    Free Member

add some msg to improve the taste. trust me it will be good.

clubber
    Free Member

This is a timely thread – I’m just looking for a slow cooker. 🙂

Any suggestions on which models or features I should look for?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pork in cider….no, really.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ok I know that this is a carnivorefest, but I have a few veggie based options if anyone is interested?

clubber
    Free Member

I’m no veggie but I would be interested.

jimmy

Hugh F-W’s pinto bean chilli would be a cracker for the slow cook.

wiggles
    Free Member

Done the pulled pork loads of times, don’t really measure anything out just guess but works great. Had it tonight after putting it on about 10 last night so a good 20 hours cooking and it’s amazing.

annebr
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve done the pulled pork too. Used Apple juice and chilli with it.

annebr
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    This is a timely thread – I’m just looking for a slow cooker.

Any suggestions on which models or features I should look for?

We bought a cheap one from Morrisons. 3 settings, low, high, & keep warm.

I saw Tescos have one for £15, looked very similar to ours.

wiggles
    Free Member

I have Tesco one had a fiver one from Argos until a dropped it! The all work the same pretty much

Anna-B
    Free Member

Mine a Crockpot. When I dropped the lid earlier in the year, I rang the distributor and they sent me a new one for very little money. I started to give the guy on the phone the code for it, and he completed the number for me after the first few digits! I kind of like knowledge and service like that, so would buy again if I ever needed to.

grim168
    Free Member

Following this thread we are having gammon in coke for tea… http://daisydayz.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-cook-a-ham-Baked-Ham-in-Coke

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Slowcookertrackworld. Lets have your recipes then?’ is closed to new replies.