Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Slow cooker roasting joints
  • chvck
    Free Member

I want to try roasting a beef joint in my slow cooker. Anyone got any advice on how to do it? Is it just throw it in with a bit of stock and leave it for 8 hours or so? I presume that once some juices are out I can also throw a load of veg in to cook with it? A 1 pot roast would be rather cool!

honeybadgerx

Put it in a large bowl with some garlic, herbs, bay leaves and all the veg then cover with red wine and leave to marinade overnight. Take out next day and drain, reserving the wine, and fry offbeef to seal it along with veg, then tip it all into the slow cooker, add wine back in and leave for ~6 hours (will depend on size of joint, how hot your slow cooker is etc.).

jon1973
    Free Member

that sounds bloomin gorgeous.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Personally I think you need to boil the alcohol out of the wine before adding to slow cooker or it leaves a funny taste.

You can of course just put the joint in the slow cooker with nothing else and it will still end up perfectly moist and suculent.

honeybadgerx

Yeah, it’s a struggle to leave leftovers sometimes! Works well just throwing it all in a normal casserole dish and cooking it in a normal oven too, key is to soaking it overnight in the wine. To be fair I think most things taste great if you soak them overnight in red wine before cooking them!

chvck
    Free Member

That it does!

m6dwn
    Free Member

For easy and cheap with very good result just seal meat (I use brisket) in an oven proof dish (or slow cooker) then add onions carrots herbs and couple of crushed garlic cloves, maybe a bit of worcestershire sauce if you have it, cover with stock and put in oven for 3 hours. Sieve and use the remaining liquid to make gravy.

Serve with mash and cabbage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Slow cooker roasting joints’ is closed to new replies.