Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Slightly less fat (& Alfine weight)
  • druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been having second thoughts about the Alfine option on my 9zero7 so swapped it out today in favour of a 2×9 setup with XT mechs and cassette.

With the slightly lighter Husker Du tyres too, I’ve dropped a whole 2lbs off the all-up weight to just a smidgeon over 34lbs.

FWIW, I measured 1.65lbs of difference in the drivetrain/hub, and that’s with the spokes on the replacement wheel being plain gauge, not butted.

singlespeedstu

What you think of the husker du’s?

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll let you know when I’ve had a chance to ride them 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

You rebuilt the wheel or got a new one?

I thought alfine was barely heavier than derailleurs?

druidh
    Free Member

Extra wheel. That way I can switch around should I feel like it (although the Alfine may end up on a different bike now).

As for the weight difference – I can only report the results of my experiences…..

E-type front mech, medium cage rear mech, 11-34 cassette plus shifters (all XT), XT rear hub plus 2 cables vs Alfine hub and Alfine shifter plus 1 cable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh. I thought there’d been a MEGA-thread here where some geezer found they weighed nearly the same.

So Husker Du’s are around 0.175lb lighter i.e. 30gm a tyre?

druidh
    Free Member

One Husker Du weighed the same as my Endomorph. The other was slightly lighter and therefore lighter than my Larry. Overall, about 0.33lb saved in the tyres.

cozz
    Free Member

mmm interesting weight

my 907 is currently 30 lbs,, older frame than yours, same fork, drilled rims and heavy larrys, same bars

fitting husker du’s when they turn up prob weds so will see how they fair on friday

ton

and i thought my leccy bike was fugly……….. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

cozz – Member
    mmm interesting weight

my 907 is currently 30 lbs,, older frame than yours, same fork, drilled rims and heavy larrys, same bars

fitting husker du’s when they turn up prob weds so will see how they fair on fridayOf course, there could be some variation in the accuracy of the scales. I know that mine made my Blur XC 2lbs heavier than it was when I weighed it in the shop 🙂 Having said that, I also weighed my wifes suitcase last week and it was spot on according to the system at airport check-in.

druidh
    Free Member

ton –

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYWdU67668Y[/video]

mboy
    Free Member

Not scientific enough I’m afraid druidh… Stu McGoo off here took a 30spd SLX drivetrain off his 29er inbred, and installed an Alfine instead. Everything else on the bike was the same, no other components changed, just lost derailleurs, shifters, 2 chainrings and the rear hub, then put the Alfine and shifter on. He then weighed the bike again, and it was marginally lighter! Although it was now more rear end heavy than before. An XT setup is about 150-200 grams lighter than SLX, maybe a bit more as you’ve got 2×10, but you have not lost almost 2lb just by getting rid of the Alfine!

ton

fantastic……..nothing like a bit of home tinkering 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

mboy, he’s been doing well in his Big Hitter correspondence course, argue with him at your mercy.

druidh
    Free Member

mboy – feel free to turn up with the scales of your choice and I’ll let you weigh it, re-build it and weight it again. Oh – and it’s 2×9 (it says so in the OP).

from road.cc

The stated weight is now 1590g, which is 90g lighter than Shimano’s weight for an Alfine 8 and less than a Speedhub too. However, we’ve now received a second boxed hub to go with our built up one and straight out of the box it tips the scales at 1744g, a fair whack heavier than list

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry, 2×9… Which is about a whole 50 grammes lighter again.

Just saying like, this has been done scientifically before… And the proof was there. OK it was Alfine vs 3×10 SLX, and XT is certainly lighter than SLX and 2 rings will be lighter still, but not almost 2lb lighter. Not even 1lb lighter I’d warrant.

And as for the Alfine being heavier than claimed, yeah I’ll agree. When I had mine, weighed it out of the box, and was a smidge over 100g heavier than Shimano claimed. Didn’t make the bike any heavier than it would have been with a 3×10 setup though, although it did make it slightly more rear end heavy.

motorman
    Free Member

Bike looks good with new drivetrain & wheels fitted 8)

Lets not get too caught up in in weights…soon as it get properly dirty it will weight least 10lbs heavier with mud/sand/sh1te anyway 😉

druidh
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    Just saying like, this has been done scientifically before

Mr McGroo weighed his bike, changed the components and weighed it again. I have now repeated the experiment and we have two data points.

Unfortunately, he was using an 8-speed Alfine, heavier components (SLX rather than XT) and 3×10 rather than 2×9……

bullheart
    Free Member

On a different tangent, did you tinker with the lubricant in the Alfine to decrease resistance, and if so, what did you do? I’m about to fit an 8 to my 29er but have misgivings about the drag reported by others on here.

spooky_b329

Interested in the Alfine lubricating as well. I don’t notice any drag from my Alfine8, and thats going from a singlespeed set up. In fact, you can’t really tell it apart from the singlespeed, except for the extra weight and the fact the speed is not limited by my legs. It still feels like a singlespeed due to the absence of chain slap/mech clatter.

It is secondhand though so it may have been fettled already, though unlikely. I’ve heard comments about converting it to an oil bath like the 11, but surely grease seals would not be enough to keep the oil within the hub?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I had my alfine dipped in shimanos majic oil. Deffo runs smoother and less draggy but still more drag than a conventional setup I believe

spooky_b329

How is the hub regreased? Manually, or does the ‘majic’ oil dip re-coat the internals in some type of liquid grease?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Slightly less fat (& Alfine weight)’ is closed to new replies.