Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sky install … what a joke !!!
  • mightymarmite
    Free Member

Wait three weeks to get multi room setup.

Bloke arrives looking like he’s been dragged through a hedge backwards, and walks through the house with his boots caked in mud.

Has a look around, existing dish is on back of house below roof hipline (double storey). Cue much sucking of breath and “health and safeties you know”.

Cant run cable around eaves as more than 8 bends and the signal gets to degraded, isn’t allowed to run cable over roof as thats a two man team job. Cant put new dish up as isn’t allowed to work above height of gutters (more health and safeties you know).

After much insistence on my behalf, and “we’ll have to rebook it” from him he spends 10 minutes with new dish against front eve pointing it around the neighbourhood and no where near where the existing dish nor the neighbours are pointing “Cant get lock on signal … no beep” machine beeps “yea that was just it turning off”.

Cue rebooking the job for a double man team …. in two weeks.

So what can these blokes actually do apart from spent 40 minutes drinking coffee and flicking fag ends all over the place ?

Rant over …

King-ocelot
    Free Member

They can turn up and tell you the sky+ thier collegues sold you won’t work properly as you need a second feed and apartments sometimes only have one. They can also let your ‘house cats’ onto a balcony and look at you with a gazed over expression as you explain not to let them out.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So what can these blokes actually do apart from spent 40 minutes drinking coffee and flicking fag ends all over the place ?

A friend of mine had a good experience with them, they turned up, squeezed out of a roof window about 1.5ftx1ft onto a roof at about 40 degrees from horizontal 6 floors up, scooted across to an existing dish, fitted cable, popped down through window again and charged him bugger all for it.

The heights alone made my toes curl.

project
    Free Member

Did you provide a facility for him to wipe his boots on,

“Bloke arrives”, i think youll find he is called a satelite tv instalation technician.

Health and safety laws are there to protect companies from claims and sometimes used to protect staff from falling or other injuries.

Liftman

Most of them are subbies and will not be getting much for the installs, pay penauts get monkeys, just sky trying to save a buck

Joe

Had exactly the same shit with sky. Can’t do this, can’t do that, just wanted to do the easiest ugliest thing possible.

Idiots.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

CK … Have you got their number ???

I can reach a foot above where the dish needed to go by standing on the foot wide concrete balustrade around the edge of the deck above the garage.

Apparently he needs a two person team to go that high.

Note … im not knocking ‘elth and safety here, just the cant be arsed attitude of this particular bloke, and his hopeless charade of not being able to get a signal !

Lummox

After the same sort of reasons as the op I eventually found out the fitters supply/pay for the cable from dish to box, and as such it isn’t in their interest to fit it where the customer wants more where the shortest run of cable can be made. So I now have a dish just above head height at the back of the house.

Still I do like sky 🙂

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Project.

facilities to wipe his boots on ? No … i took my shoes off in front of him as I came into the house, and short of hosing him down with a pressure washer and some bleach nothing would have improved the “satelite tv instalation technicians” state of cleanliness.

By comparison when we recently had our boiler serviced, the first thing the Boiler installation Technician did on entering the house was whip out his plastic boot covers, and put them over his workboots.

coffeeking
    Free Member

CK … Have you got their number ???

I could get it, but they’re glasgow based so probably not much help!

By comparison when we recently had our boiler serviced, the first thing the Boiler installation Technician

Name and errmmm what’s the opposite of shame? Nice to hear people doing the right things.

totalshell

wait while the box freezes and they want 65 quid to tell you its frozen and 3 quid for a new box or 6 months free if you upgrade.. take deep breath go online find a forum and find solution in 1 minute that only takes 3 minutes to do.. tell em to ****

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Boiler technician … British Gas Homecare plan, cant speak highly enough of their service staff we’ve seen to date. We had a recurring problem over winter where the boiler wouldn’t ignite in the mornings especially over the snowy period. The technician went so far as to come out at 7 in the morning so he could check it over when it wasn’t lighting rather than fixing it and doing a wait and see again.

Flaperon

I would never expect someone to remove their shoes when entering my house unless they were wellies or walking boots or something.

Many employees who go into houses aren’t permitted to remove their shoes anyway, in case they tread on something sharp.

midwales
    Free Member

‘Bloke arrives looking like he’s been dragged through a hedge backwards, and walks through the house with his boots caked in mud’ – you could have been his 5/6th customer today. hence a slightly dirty look.

‘Cant run cable around eaves as more than 8 bends and the signal gets to degraded, isn’t allowed to run cable over roof as thats a two man team job’.
    – sky policy is to run straight down from the dish with any cables and then fix at low level around the house. this is save practice. however, all ‘engineers’ are trained to the same standard and pretty much the same kit. two man teams really do not exist anymore. if the guy was a subbie or working for a business partner he will be getting £10-£16 quid for the job. why should he bother doing a job which sounds difficult and very time consuming.

Cue rebooking the job for a double man team …. in two weeks. – i bet you do not get a two man team.

if you want the job done properly go to a independent and pay decent money to get a decent job done. 😆

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sky were better than NTL. Must be about 12 years ago I was living at my parents still, 2 guys turn up to add a phone line, one sits in the cab ‘too stoned to do bother’ the other puts a shovel through the existing phone line.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Funny, but I paid £60 to sky, on top of the subscription fee so fail to understand why I should have to pay again because they want to undercut their subbies, and given there is no option to not have it installed by their installation “engineers” as they have to verify the phone lines on a multiroom set up etc hence going to an independent doesn’t sound like great advice ?

And given that the instal was to add multiroom to an existing system, all that had to be done was to run the cable along the same path along the eaves to an adjacent room … 3 metres past the existing entry point and on the same second level with no additional bends.

There was a even an existing hole drilled through the masonry from where BT had fitted their phone line, with a one man team without any issue a week ago ready for the Sky.

And as it was 10am this morning I doubt it was 5th or 6th job of the day, and still doesn’t give a service person any excuse to trash someones carpet traipsing backwards and forwards through the house without due care.

Nor does it excuse someone smoking while they are working, and chucking their butts over our courtyard. And this was beyond slighty dirty … hence looking like he’d been dragged through a hedge.

Funnily enough our car mechanic doesn’t stick his greasy backside on the seats because I don’t provide him with a seat cover and as previously illustrated good service providers address the issue very easily by giving their subbies overshoes.

I guess I just have old school values, about taking pride in your appearance, reflects on how much pride you take in your work … which I guess is well illustrated by his charade of not being able to obtain a signal.

My money is on that whoever completes the job, has no issue installing the dish in the same location he couldn’t get a signal from / or running the cable from the existing location.

Hence my initial rant … about the service Sky Installation provide …

dogbert
    Free Member

I used to work for Sky, as always there are always two sides to the story, and what you think might be fine for the installer to do may be like an assault course……..while I’m sure it was a simple job, and I don’t deny what you’re saying for a minute,I’ve heard all the excuses under the sun from customers and installers alike, after a while you become a bit jaded with it all.

Look on the bright side, we got a call from a customer one night, bawling her eyes out. She came home one day and there was a Sky van parked outside. She had booked an install. No work seemed to be commencing. She walked in the house to find the installer balls deep in her son……..hell of a way to find out your son is gay 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

You don’t see that on the ads.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Mine (years ago) after 3 weeks of missing bookings and re-arranging with me booking time off work drilled through a gas pipe…… nerly blew my house up the emergeny gas bloke then cut off my gas condemed my pipes (sunday) till they could be re-done so no gas heating, no gas fire no cooker and….. no sky…..

They then offered me….. wait for it……..

………..one free months movies

I argued the point….. for weeks….. and got 6 months full package free and all the damages (they had to cut a hole in my living room wall and recorate)

CountZero

and given there is no option to not have it installed by their installation “engineers” as they have to verify the phone lines on a multiroom set up etc hence going to an independent doesn’t sound like great advice ?

We had Sky installed many years ago when it first became Sky, and the guy who installed it was excellent. He later left and set up as an independent aerial installer. I still use his services, he installed the multiroom, and installed my HD box and swapped my Sky+ box for the shonky old one. He also took down a crappy old antenna and put up a much better one with a feed to two rooms for Freeview for occasions when I’m recording two progs and want to watch a third. I’ll be contacting him tomorrow to see about a third terrestrial feed to the kitchen for a tv there. You do not need to go through Sky, just contact a quality independent installer.

uplink
    Free Member

Cant run cable around eaves as more than 8 bends and the signal gets to degraded,

😆

spooky_b329

When my installer turned up, I had already lifted some floor boards so the cable could be poke in through an air brick, 8 metres under the floor to the TV point. I’d done this as I knew there would be an issue getting the cables through the house…fireplaces and door ways meant running two coax’s neatly would be a nightmare. (I work for BT so I know how what seems a simple route to the customer can be near impossible in reality…I also end up covered in mud regularly from manholes but would never try and enter a house with muddy boots, I’d either clean them or use the blue shoe covers)

Anyway, the installer made merry hell about how much time he had, couldn’t go through the loft, couldn’t use my route. In the end I convinced him to put the dish up whilst I ran the cable, which took ten minutes. When I came outside the lazy git had put my dish about 6 inches above the rear door, even though the neighbours and every one elses is two foot higher so it doesn’t feel like you need to duck under it. Whilst he was out at the van I shoved about 5 metres of coax under the floor from his reel, so when I get round to it I can move the dish higher.

project
    Free Member

dogbert – Member
    Look on the bright side, we got a call from a customer one night, bawling her eyes out. She came home one day and there was a Sky van parked outside. She had booked an install. No work seemed to be commencing. She walked in the house to find the installer balls deep in her son……..hell of a way to find out your son is gay

Posted 26 minutes ago # Report-Post

Must have been a real pain in the bum for her and her son 😯

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sky install … what a joke !!!’ is closed to new replies.