Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Skills course in Yorkshire
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m looking for a good 1 to 1 skills course, but living in Yorkshire would rather not have to travel down to Hertford to see Jedi, or scotland to see Dirt School.

Anyone been on any 1 to 1 courses in Yorkshire that they can (or can’t) recommend?

ricardo666
    Free Member
    Mackem

Great Rock are oop north somewhere I think. Never used them but the Beard must inspire some sort of confidence.

yoda
    Free Member

Get in touch with the Raffertys!!!
    Pro ride guides!

They do their coaching in Yorkshire at Stainburn mostly but also at Gisburn too.

Wether you’re a beginner or an expert they can teach you things that’ll improve your riding.

They come highly recommended.

And….if you’re a Singletraction member (those fantastic trail builders) you get a 10% discount!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Hmm, I am a singletraction member so might look into that.

I think I may be distracted by the beard of great rock!

RustySpanner

Dales bike centre in Swaledale are very good.

Can’t recommend any others as not tried them, but everyone I’ve spoken to says very nice things about Great Rock.
    I knocked on Ed’s door by mistake once, when looking for someone else.
    Only realised who the bloke with the beard was about an hour later.
    Lots of impressive face furniture in Hebden!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Rumour was that Tony Heap had specific training from the Pro Ride Guide Rafferty boys, turned up at the Stainburn Chainless Challenge last year and won it. Many of his mates left open mouthed.
    Report here
    http://singletrackworld.com/2011/10/singletraction-chainless-dh-race-report-video/

Only ever good reports about Ed Oxley as well

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuNQPm4TKYM[/video]

doug_basqueMTB.com

I do some stuff with Ed so am a bit biased but I first met Ed when I went on one of his skills courses. I thought it was very, very good and that is why I spoke to him about working together. If I’d thought it was anything other than excellent I wouldn’t have invited him to the Basque Country.

I like his approach to skills, he seems to focus a lot on pumping and how to flow and carry speed, it’s just a really nice way to ride a bike. He’s got a good manner for teaching, very calm and relaxed, and his demo’s are spot on because he’s got this really nice, clear technique that sort of emphasises what he’s saying. On the skills weekend I did every single person advanced a huge amount. I’ve seen the same thing on our skills weeks, everyone was riding so much better at the end of the week. I have to admit that on the skills weeks I’m listening in for tips and over this last year my cornering has got so much better with some of the tips I picked up from him. It’s something that a lot of my riding mates have commented on.

So, take it as you want. I’ve got a connection with Ed but that ^^^ is my honest opinion! I’ve not been with the others mentioned so can’t comment on them.

Xar
    Free Member

Had some training off Ed myself and i’ve got to echo what Doug said above. I’ve still got a half day left with him, saving up so i can make it a full day.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

I was on Doug’s skills week with Ed, and i have also done a one to one day with Joe. They have slightly different styles, i’d say the most obvious difference is maybe that Ed is more laid back in his approach. Everything that Doug said really. Joe’s got a nice way to him as well, maybe slightly more serious but on a one to one you need your money’s worth and it was still shit loads of fun, he certainly sped me up round stainburn.

You can’t really go wrong with either, i’d definitely go for more with either of them.

RayMazey
    Free Member
    dickie
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Skills course in Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.