OK, have never skied / boarded before, but would like to give it a go this winter. But there's a confusing mass of information out there on t'interweb, and I don't know where to begin!
There seems to be a fair few folks on here who ski / snowboard, so any advice would be welcome. Got some initial questions, but feel free to add any other info you have:
- Ski or snowboard? Which is easiest / best for an absolute beginner?(think bambi on ice impressions ...)
- When to go? Christmas is appealling, as it would be a fun way to spend the festive period, but would January be better (quieter / cheaper / more likely to have snow)?
- Where to go? Good for beginners? Early snow if I go at christmas? Not really after the biggest party town as I'd rather focus on the skiing, but a nice bar or two would be good. Is Austria / Italy cheaper than France?
- What companies do 'learn to ski / beginner' weeks for solo guests? (Would be nice to share the holiday with a group of people who are also learning at the same time)
- Is it worth practicing the basics on a ski slope here (the one near me has a 'perma snow' slope and offers classes for beginners)? I know is apparently not the same as snow, but might it teach me the 'how to put you skis on / basic moves etc?
Over to you guys for your pearly words of wisdom ...