Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Skidding – Good or bad?
  • Chalkyslide
    Free Member

Okay, we all may skid occasionally but should ITV allow images of skidding mtb's eroding the trails all over the Tour de France coverage?

imo it's not setting a good example nor is it good for the image of mtb.

I've complained. Should you too? Or am I wrong? Is this the way to ride?

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/about/

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/aaaaaagh-halfords-mtb-ads-on-tdf-coverage

Id complain to Halfords, not the ASA, if you feel strongly enough.

The ASA wont give a ****

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sometimes, the only thing that will do is a hoofing great big long skid, sideways at the end with some opposite lock. It can be very satisfying.

😀

tinsy
    Free Member

Anyone got link to the french blokes on the DH run backing it into every corner? He has the skid just about right.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont think I've ever found a situation where a skid was helpful other than a seriously tight switchback in the alps, and even then I'd say I did that because I didnt ahve the skill to attack it properly.

Whether I'd complain – not so sure, most trail users I see dont skid pointlessly and I cant see anyone other than 14 year old boys being influenced?

proteus
    Free Member

I've complained. Should you too? Or am I wrong? Is this the way to ride?
    http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/about/

PMSL. i'm sure the ASA love it when a nutter gets in touch.

singletracksurfer

skidz r 4 kidz

IanMunro
    Free Member

Skids are great! The corners in that halfords ad are definitely there to be skidded round imo.

Chalkyslide
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    Skids are great! The corners in that halfords ad are definitely there to be skidded round imo.

🙄

geoffj

Dont think I've ever found a situation where a skid was helpful

Vicky Banton thought it was very cool! (about 25 years ago 😆 )

tinsy
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

WGAS?

If you people really have nothing better to do than complain to ASA about someone skidding on a 5 second advert I worry! You're as bad as the people who complained about Russell Brand/Jonathan Ross weeks after the event having not even heard the broadcast!

vinnyeh

Sometimes, the only thing that will do is a hoofing great big long skid, sideways at the end with some opposite lock.

Too bloody right…

tinsy
    Free Member

vinnyeh where is that? I used to race cycle speedway in the early 80's

Though not much skidding with no brakes!!!

hora
    Free Member

On groomed trail centre trails- skids are bad. Bridleways like in the Lakes- why not? Their make up changes as a bigstorm comes in etc so why not? It helps you understand when a bike lets go etc?

Skids are for kids? also for big kids looking to have a big grin!

I do disagree with the big banners from these guys: http://povertyover.christianaid.org.uk/

Its impossible to eradicate poverty sadly.

uplink
    Free Member

Turning the bike with the back wheel is definitely the fastest way around some bends – not that I'm competent at this particular method mind 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Bottom of Walna Scar on a big patch of grass I grabbed the back brake thinking it would be a lame wibble and I spun 180degrees facing the way I'd come down. I couldnt stop giggling!!!

Speshpaul

Skidding is very helpful, in that it alllows you to spot people with very limited riding skills.

Even on this thread we have people who don't know the differance between skidding and drifting!

Have you taken the stablizers off yet?

goog
    Free Member

skids rule !!!

they make one look awesome on T trails and piss off the trail builders :mrgreen:

vinnyeh

Even on this thread we have people who don't know the differance between skidding and drifting!

Pedant!

tinsy, in Oz.

Futureboy
    Free Member

Bridleways like in the Lakes- why not? Their make up changes as a bigstorm comes in etc so why not? It helps you understand when a bike lets go etc?

My Mother likes rambling/walking etc- has seen inconsiderate idiots on bikes on bridleways let alone footpaths. No. Please let walkers enjoy walking without the fear of someone riding down at any speed.

IMO Skidding on a Bridleway would suggest you are inconsiderate and not exactly endearing yourself to walkers??? No???

zangolin
    Free Member

When I was a kid back in the 70's we used to spend hours having skidding competitions. Consited of fast as you can slam on rear brake + skid. Location was a local cinder road (so no damage to the environment). The local bike shop used to sell lots of rear tyres.

Let's bring back organised skidding comps along the lines of car drifting. Of course it would have to take place on a purpose built track etc. The bike industry would love it XC -bikes, AM-Bikes, DJ-bikes, FR-Bikes, SS-Bikes, Slope Style Bikes & the latest Skid Bikes 16" rear rotor, slick tyres etc. Clothing manufactures could even start making skid mark shorts.

Speshpaul

"Even on this thread we have people who don't know the differance between skidding and drifting!

Pedant!"

Thanks for giving evidence in favour of the "some people don't know the differance" case.

Maybe you could get one of those MTBing for beginners DVD's 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

Vinnyeh couple of bloke from my club used to ride in OZ in Britain V Oz matches.

glenp
    Free Member

Skidding – a thing so simple that 4 year olds can do it very easily.

Riding quickly, quietly, smoothly and leaving no marks – proper riding that actually takes some skill and finesse.

Everyone must go their own way I guess – I'm just surprised that anyone would ride with all the skill of a 4 year old in public, except actual 4 year olds. I for one will certainly ridicule anyone that I see skidding about the place.

CheesybeanZ

saw a sign at one of the 7stanes ..
    "skidds cost quids"

😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNC-bALBztc Bike drift-tastic.

I rode a section of the Tamarancho Trail behind Jacqui Phelan. She never skidded once on the whole descent, very flowy and smooth. I felt humbled every time my brakes locked up.

vinnyeh

speshpaul, funny, cos I thought skidding didn't require brakes- skidded on ice etc.

I could probably do with one of those beginners dvd's – I still seem to be riding the same sort of trails that I was thirty years ago, just with a mtb rather than a cruiser or road bike.

devs
    Free Member

I have been doing extreme stunts to the max since like forever. I once did a skid that lasted 2 weeks.

hora
    Free Member

I rode a section of the Tamarancho Trail behind Jacqui Phelan. She never skidded once on the whole descent, very flowy and smooth. I felt humbled every time my brakes locked up.

On Top Gear I watched the Caterham R500 go round the track and can honestly say it was one of the best (and exciting) laps that Ive seen on the Topgear track. Smooth and 'toight is soo bloody dull compared 😀

dasnut
    Free Member

"skidding" is good because you learn the limits of traction and also how to control the bike when it looses traction

grabbing your back brake and locking your rear wheel isn't any good, but a wet slick leaf strewn road and a bike with slicks is.

you don't need brakes (you might call that "drifting" then)

try riding switchbacks fast with the back end out, that is faster than the "other" line…..

if you are riding fast enough, your tyres WILL loose traction – FACT!

watch sam hills cornering technique for how its done

Houns

I hope those whom have complained are also going to complain to the correct bodies about the latest issue of Singletrack? Funny none of you have mentioned the rider on the cover pulling a skid. Double standards i see, let us know when you've done so Chalkyslide

Speshpaul

Just to help a few of you out

Skidding is where your rear wheel is not turning, due to the brake being applied.

Drifting/ backing in, is where a degree of traction is lost allowing the rear wheel to slide. But the wheel is still turning. You do this on a MTB by changing body position and unweighting the rear wheel.

The 1st is losing control, ie you've over braked to the point where you have lost traction and not corrected it by reducing pressure on the rear brake.

The 2nd is a method of cornering allowing to to take a tighter line. Requiring skill, and control.

Reamember, Leave no trace.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The 1st is losing control

Except it isn't if it's intentional.

glenp
    Free Member

If it is intentional you are a pillock.

jamesca
    Free Member

so a little bit of turf or soil gets flicked up it's hardly the biggest envionmental concern of the 21st century.

glenp
    Free Member

It definitely would be a big concern if everyone did it. Fortunately it is the moronic minority.

jamesca
    Free Member

all 6 billion people in a simultaneous skid, how could that fail to be cool.

hora
    Free Member

Skidding and drifting are the samething. One is a 70's term and the other is a 90's term linked with Fastandthefurious etc.

I'm with jamesca – agree.

glenp
    Free Member

The only thing more cool than that would be for everyone to start trolling simultaneously.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Skidding – Good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.