Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ski Sunday?! Why?
  • stumpy01

Every now & again there's talk on here of why isn't mountain biking, particularly downhill televised.
    Normally it comes down to the fact that while there are quite a few mountain bikers out there, in the scheme of things it's a trifling amount and not really a 'mainstream' interest.

Now Ski Sunday has been on for as long as I can remember and I enjoy watching it. But surely there are other sports that are more accessible/popular to a lot of the poulation than skiing?
    Lots of people perhaps go on annual skiing trips, but in the UK it's hardly a sport that most people can do year round.

I have always liked Ski Sunday, but I just don't understand why it's on in the UK/how it's kept going for so long.

PS – It's on BBC2 now, until 14:50.

juiced
    Free Member

loads in indoor and outdoor ski slopes in the UK that are always busy. Loads of people go skiing boarding every year on hols.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Without doing a search I imagine its the most popular non-team sport that people say they "Do"

Drac

It's a hundred mile round trip for me to the nearest dry ski slope, so not that accessible.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Without doing a search I imagine its the most popular non-team sport that people say they "Do"

Without doing a search, I can tell you it doesn't even come close to being the most popular.

How about this for a theory. The BBC is run by the middle class, who like skiing.

dab

as a skier / boarder i was so hacked off with BBC coverage i ended up going Sky years back for Eurosport 1/2

the only good bit of ski sunday was high altitude

silly munters @ the bbc only went and dropped the best bit !!

thecrackfox
    Free Member

And you can't have Downhill Mountain Biking on the TV without Rob Warner commentary and the BBC would never go for that much political incorrectness, that's reserved for Clarkson on Top Gear.

juiced
    Free Member

lol at thecrackfox.

mboy
    Free Member

Nope

Fishing is the most popular sport in the UK apparently, team or not (to take part at least, football would win the spectator stakes).

Skiing is and always has been more popular than mountain biking (though mountain biking is beginning to become more mainstream as it gets ever more popular year in year out), hence its increased coverage. It's also significantly more interesting to watch, no matter whether you're into it or not. Downhill skiers reach speeds well in excess of 100km/h which makes it an interesting spectacle. Even on the fastest DH tracks in the world, DH MTBers probably barely break 50km/h at their peaks. Sure, on old school races like the Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze they'd be topping 100km/h at their peak, but that was a wide open fireroad race with no technical elements really.

DH skiing is just more of a spectacle really! When was the last time you saw televised fishing after all? 😉

jimmy

Chemmy Alcott…. hmmmmmmmmm

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Anything that is an Olympic sport gets a higher priority on the BBC so hence the skiing and I guess its quite cheap to buy in. I'm not sure how snooker and darts fit into that logic though 😉

nockmeister
    Free Member

yeah a shame she was barfing her guts up!!

years ago the beeb used to show cyclo cross quite regulary

JulianA
    Free Member

And they moved it to an earlier slot and we missed it! Gonna have to wait for it to appear on iPlayer now.

Haven't skied for years but still love watching it (and wishing I could go again!)

drumon

maybe its not an accessible sport for many, but it sure is great to watch! I think skiing is great.

Maybe Ski Sunday should have a Summer alternative, ie. cycling.

jonb
    Free Member

Well bbc2 currently have showjumping one, obviously because that appeals to a huge audience. Probably less than skiing.

I never find mtbing very exciting to watch. Quite hard to film well because you only get short shots before the rider disappears round a corner or behind a tree.

daveagiles
    Free Member

People might find this interesting!

Since when has fishing been a sport?

Sports England

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Ski sunday why???!!!

Because Ed leigh is a snowboarding god from the forest of dean!

donald
    Free Member

You seem to be saying that the sports that should be televised are the sports that people participate in. But televised sport is about what people want to watch, not what people want to do.

daveagiles
    Free Member

…they televise golf, darts and snooker…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ski Sunday?! Why?’ is closed to new replies.