Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Singlespeed ratio for the Long Mynd?
  • el_boufador

So, I’m off to the Long Mynd on Friday but I have just discovered the geared squishy bike I was going to take is poorly:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-where-i-can-get-turner-5-spot-rocker-plates-at-short-notice?replies=11#post-3069762

…so I need a backup plan in case I can’t get the parts.

My other bike is a singlespeed, which it would be possible to gearify for the occasion.
    However, it’s only for a few days’ riding so I wonder whether I should just leave it as a SS and suffer a bit to avoid all the faffing changing to gears and back again.

Are there any local SSers on? What ratios do you use? I’d like to be able to make it up the major climbs without dying. Equally I don’t mind digging in & suffering a bit if it means not spinning like a pillock everywhere else.

BTW I run the usual 32×16 locally round Leeds, which has its steeper bits but they’re not that long.

Ringo
    Free Member

I’ve done it quite a lot on 2:1 but your probably better off with 32 / 18, some of the hills are quite steep and you normally end up climbing to the ridge at least twice

Ringo
    Free Member

32/18 won’t be too spinny either

james
    Free Member

ssjeff
    Free Member

I find just the one should be fine

RoterStern
    Free Member

2:1 will do you fine. They are steep climbs mostly but they are never that long (compared to the Alps) and even if you do have to push if you are with friends you will be so far ahead of them by the time you have to get off and push that you will get to the top first anyway. (IME at least)

el_boufador

Cheers all. Might treat mesen to a pair of 17t and 18t cogs and take them along, but stick with the 2:1 until proved otherwise (broken myself).

postierich
    Free Member
    walleater

I was the local road hill climb champion (Burway) back in the day (1854) but I think I’d rather kill myself than ride on the Mynd on a singlespeed, but I guess if you were to go up through Inwood, or the fireroad below the glider station the ups would be OK. Stuff like the Inwood / horse rings descent would totally suck. Respect if you can get up Cardingmill Valley on a singlespeed!

scruff
    Free Member

With SS easy enough to get up the hills (they are pretty big) youd be coastiggn on all the downs, many of which are pedally semi tech affairs.

votchy
    Free Member

I’d run 44:11 so I don’t spin out on the downs 😀

velocipede
    Free Member

Be a real man and carry a spare set of wheels with you so you can change the ratio as required.

Like this: http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2008/7/23/off-to-the-races.html

😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed ratio for the Long Mynd?’ is closed to new replies.