Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Silicon Sealant that doesn't go black??
  • 5lab

So, in my house the bath\shower tends to gather a little pool of water on the flat corner of the bath, where 2 walls of the bathroom have a corner. This in itself doesn’t cause any issues, but the sealant only lasts 3-6 months before its gone black and is peeling up (I always replace it before the ‘peeling up’ leads to a leak).

This only happens where the water pools. I think its pooling due to the fact that this corner of the bath is angled very slightly away from the bath, whereas the rest of the edge is angled towards the bath. To put things in perspective, the pool is under 1mm deep.

So – is there any sealant you can get which can cope with this warm water? We’ve got ‘anti mould’ stuff at the moment and it doesn’t work..

Cheers

H

seanodav
    Free Member

I used that above^^^^ still went black 👿

montylikesbeer

that stuff above and a rub of a bleachy rag every couple of months worked for me

willyboy
    Free Member

dow corning is quite good

toys19
    Free Member

I use a squeegee and wipe the water away, train the wife and kids to do the same.

Tom83

The mapei silicones are good I’ve found.

whyter

You can get some Dettol mould and mildew stuff in the supermarkets that does an excellent job of cleaning up sealant with a bit of mould on it.

spooky_b329

I’ve got the same issue, flat bath, pooled water against sealant, except mine doesn’t go black and its two years old 🙂 The grouting on the other hand…

Its the cheap bathroom sealant that is normally in the wire cages at the Screwfix counter. I think it mentions anti-mould.

Whilst we are on the subject, Lidl has some DIY stuff (either now or soon) and they have a silicone cutter/remover, you drag it backwards along the sealant and it slices both edges and cuts it out. I’m guessing its better than faffing about with a stanley knife trying not to scratch the bath 🙂

peasant
    Free Member

Dow corning, wouldn,t buy anything else

project
    Free Member

You need a sealant with an anti fungal additive or anti mould additive.

supremebean
    Free Member

yup dow corning 785, i wont use anything else. i have fitted hundreds of bathrooms and this stuff is best.

alanl
    Free Member

Screwfix No-Nonsense sanitary silicone. I use it all the time, and have never been called back to a house because it has gone black. It is good for smoothing out too, not too sloppy or stiff.
    Mould in the bathroom is nearly always a lack of ventilation. get a window open, and spray everything with bleach.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Mapei or dow 785

BUT you must get every last bit of the old stuff out with a stanley blade first, then use silicone eater, then scrub thoroughly with dettol mould and mildew, then dry it completely, then apply the new stuff, being right into the joint. Shape the silicone with a proper silicone tool and use wonder wipes to clean down any wet silicone. DO NOT USE YOUR FINGER ESPECIALLY ONE THAT YOU HAVE LICKED! This wlll just re-introduce bacteria to the silicone from the inside.

Even the best silicone will turn mouldy if you dont clean it regularly and wipe it

footflaps

I use Flash Bleach spray for the shower – cleans mould (well bleaches it) off grout and sealant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Silicon Sealant that doesn't go black??’ is closed to new replies.