Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • show us your………2009 Proflex 768's
  • fotorat
    Free Member

and tell us what its like after you have chopped the clydsdale wheelset and brakes……………or not

fotorat
    Free Member

this is the one I'm liking for Julys treat

£750 for the whole bike – bargain – considering a Blur LT2 with Pikes on costs £3250!

and before anyone says it – I can tell you that VPP doesn't prevent pedal induced bob – my Lt2 bobs like a proflex beast

fotorat
    Free Member

ordered it today should arrive friday – got the xm 819's ready to fit on!

any offers on the brakes?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timber

what are the brakes?

paule
    Free Member

Looks like a bargain…. even at the original 950 it's a decent spec.

fotorat
    Free Member

I ended up paying £900 for it – brakes are 2009 Deore and I can throw in the discs too.

The brakes are 2008 Shimano BRM 485 Hydraulic 180/160 Roter

RRP is £150 front and £150 rear ie £300!!! but CRC are doing them at £75 each ie £150. I will take £100 posted!

bigyinn
    Free Member

How things have changed since the original proflexes!

finbar
    Free Member

Proflex are back!? How the b0ll00x did i miss that?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    How things have changed since the original proflexes!

Agreed. That's not a REAL Proflex!

These are fine examples…

😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

CF, I must agree with you (I still want them).

fotorat
    Free Member

Right-o-then Proflex fans/curious/returnees….They are back sort off – I have not any of them tested in STW/WMB and the manuala first language is Spanish then English then French! Proflex seem to sponsor Spanish riders too! I tell you what though to spaniards must be bloody fit -its a right tank!

It arrived today box fresh from Wheelies Direct – I think they have a few more left!

When I lifted it out of the box I nearly gave myself a double hernia – I had forgotten what 32lbs felt like. either that or my body has wasted away pushing a biro at a desk all day long? any way onto the scales it goes and yes 32lbs dead!

Anyhoo I quickly started to firk through my spare odds and ends thinking that I must have some lighter kit to fit on, than it came with?

This is what got swapped out:

50mm riser bar for 21mm FSA 282
    No brand 120mm stem for Cannondale 110mm
    Seat post for Thomson 410 (its a 27.2 BTW)
    Rear wheel for 819/Pro2/M580 cassette/ nobby nic UST
    LX mech for XT rapido rise.

Plus I fitted time atacs

Net result = 32lbs !!!!argh !!! All that I ended up saving was the weight of the pedals!

I think the front wheel and brakes will be next to go, the whole bike feels lighter at the back than the front now- which is wrong!!

As for the rear suspension – what a revelation – no matter how hard I stomped or bounced on the pedals there was no squat or bobbing – I think it is just as good if not better than VPP! there is no lockout on the shock – but I dont think I need it! the only down size is that it is no lightweight, I reckon with a decent front wheel and mid range brakes it should scrape 30lb

[img]http://www.pbase.com/fotorat/image/115327999/large.jpg[/img][img]http://www.pbase.com/fotorat/image/115328001/large.jpg[/img][img]http://www.pbase.com/fotorat/image/115328003/large.jpg[/img][img]http://www.pbase.com/fotorat/image/115328005/large.jpg[/img]

the-muffin-man

My mate imports those – think I'll have to tap him up for mates rates!!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Put a 70mm stem on it that should drop it to about 31lbs 😉

Cant understand why they would put such a long stem on that sort of bike anyway.

IA

"Cant understand why they would put such a long stem on that sort of bike anyway."

Because they're European?

martyntr
    Free Member

Mud clearance for that back tyre looks a bit "californian" for my liking…. nice to see tham bak on the UK scene though…

fotorat
    Free Member

yeah rear mud clearance is crap but ok for summer fire trails – when I have built a 819/pro2 front wheel I will stick the Nobby 2.2 on the front and wack a bonty mud X 2.0 on the rear – that should sort it out

fotorat
    Free Member

32lb mystery slowly uncovering:

Rear wheel complete 2800g, replacement complete is 2300g (with nobby nic and cheapo HG50-9 450g cassette)this will drop by 600g with mud X and XT M770 11-32, Making it one of my lightest rear wheels.

Front wheel complete (WTB Laserdisc/WTB Weirwolf 2.1/ plain gauge spokes/proflex hub)is 2150g (more than most of my rears!)

the WTB tires are 750g

the Cheng shin 19.-2.1 tubes are a whopping 175g

the deore brakes are 300g for a lever/caliper each

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looks kinda liek it's "borrowing" a few ideas from other frame makers, like the swoopy braces on the rear triangle?

Mud clearance is no worse than on my Helius CC, a 2.35" tyre has about 5mm each side on the chain stays, a 2.1" has plenty.

The forks are going to weigh in at 5lbs+ so you could drop a bit there.

Rickos
    Free Member

Looks like the same frames that Superstar sell.

proflexforever
    Free Member

hows the proflex??i got mine 5 days ago from pauls cycles
    not the best start
    arrived with a big scratch
    gear cables needed replacing
    and the brakes are laaaaaame…even with new pads.
    getting some hope minis on it
    race face evolve stem and bars
    tyres are tubless too
    didnt realise that
    only paid £760 for it

taking it to coed y brenin in wales for a dam good thrashing..
    review to follow

mumblemiler
    Free Member

What size did you get? I'm 6'3"-ish, so guessing the large would be the right size but can't find any geometry charts anywhere.

Help!

proflexforever
    Free Member

i got a large
    im 6ft2
    fits fine
    got some carbon shims for the head set too
    took it to wales this weekend had a blast found i could a lot fast than when i went on a hardtail
    hitting jumps and stuff
    was a lot off fun altough i did notice the xtra weight on some mega hard fire road climbs
    still good for the money i reckon
    jc

r3trodisco
    Free Member

i have had my 768 for about 6 months and hate it.

The flex of the whole thing is off putting.

I got fed up with having to tighten the bottom suspention mounts every five mins as they kept coming loose (even with half a tube of thred lock on it)so i changed for normal bolts and nuts to lock (this helped alot)

platform is ok but rear movement of the chain in the suspention cycle can be a major pain in slow tech single track

i have got the it down to apx 12.9kg by changing the rubbish and creakie fsa gammer drive to a slx with no bash gard and a mrp x1 and putting pike airs

i got mine throw wheelies direct and am a bit upset that they said it would replace my norco fluid as this does not come close so i now am going back to a hard tail (on one 456) because i hate the 768

has anybody found the frame as flexy and off putting as well as the short top tube and long chainstays calsing it to be unstable at times

tinsy
    Free Member

yup as r3trodisco says got to be 1lb in that crankset, worth burning it out during winter though as 1lb isnt a saving worth spending loads for and outing something that works..

fotorat
    Free Member

medium term update.

Very impressed, infact so impressed with the frames ability I have treated mine to a further diet

XTR chainset, sram gold sl chain, 819/hope front wheel, XTR levers/brakes, XT RMech. K-force bars.

yes the standard chainset is very heavy, it makes the XT feel feather weight.

even after all this, it is still 29.2lbs (with home made mud gaurd), but some how this weight feels just right, it feels supercharged and effortless on long climbs, goes in and out of ruts like a Range Rover. and is rock steady and predictable on fast technical decents.

I think the frame and forks are heavy, but with that comes the rock solid handling

my only gripe is that if you are slightly off with rear mech indexing, then rear suspension will causing gear shifts, which is a nightmare, but if indexing is ok, then no problemo

chainslapp
    Free Member

Nice bike,the brand takes me back to when I had my first full sus. 😛

showerman
    Free Member

Remember its your new toy so enjoy
    ok the bike is cheap (no bad thing) but by the time you take all the cheap heavey not so good parts of and start throwing on good old tried and trusted lighter parts then the price is possibly not so good. Still not a proflex the K2 now that was a proflex

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Chainslap – lovin the animal!
    My mate had that, another had the 856 with girvin forks, same basically. I had the 856 frame with flexible manitou 4's then replaced with judy's.
    Was it 2.5 or 3" travel?

juiced
    Free Member

i am really glad that not only are proflex back, they are producing decent bikes!

r3trodisco
    Free Member

Not very good, after sales is crap

after 3 months of easyish riding i cracked the top tube between the words pro and flex where the cable mount is under the top tube apx 2 inches long abound the tube.
    got in contact with suplyer and after 3 MONTHS!!! got a replacement from proflex that looked like it came from a skip, it had piss poor paint work and the welds looked like a monkey had been let loose on it,
    got back in contact and sent it back, proflex offered me the 2010 model but i would have to wait 4 months for it (told them to shove it)
    in the end i settled at £350 trade on anouther brand and the shop came up with a commencal meta 55 frame brand new for that price for me.

if you are thinking of buying DONT BOTHER and if you got one HOWS THE FELXY FRAME the rear end has so much flex side to side at the rear wheel is like riding jelly, its far to hevey and breaks easy,the paintwork is rubbish along with the kids graphics, the whole thing is cheep and poorley made.

NOT A GOOD COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

singletrackmind

I could point you in the direction of my mate Neil. His third commencal frame in less than a year should be arriving shortly. His first one cracked. His second one cracked. Both Meta's.
    Cheep ( Cheap ) and Poorley (poorly) made, maybe . Could be a friday afternoon version. I think i will stick to my '99 proflex tho .

proflexforever
    Free Member

have same problem…its an "all mountain bike" so i was usuing it in wales and my frames cracked too.
    waiting to hear from pauls cycles as to what to do next…..frames got a life time guarantee apparently though…fingers crossedcrack
    crack

wish me luck

proflexforever
    Free Member

got a new frame sent to me today…took two weeks all in all…plus pauls cycles sent me a proflex 778 frame not the 768…. its exactly the same frame just different colour.they put my monarch 2.1 shock on it, not the 3.3 it should come with…not too sure why they sent me that fame…but at least i can get back out on the trails…fingers crossed this wont FAIL….POW!!!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘show us your………2009 Proflex 768's’ is closed to new replies.