Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Show us your 650B bikes!
  • nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I'm doing a 650B front-wheel conversion on my bike and I want some inspiration … Post some pics of your 650B equipped machine! 8)

sheldona
    Free Member

There's not going to be many on here I feel!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Sorry, did say "reusing old standards to make a new trend"?

sheldona
    Free Member

Sorry, did say "reusing old standards to make a new trend"?

Reusing and old wheel diameter correct but with a wider mountainbike tyre solves the issues I have with both 29er and 26er wheels to make the best of both worlds.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'm genuinely baffled as to what issues anyone could have with a 26" wheel, other than it being perhaps a bit big for dirt jumping.

sheldona
    Free Member

Ime they are good at most things but once you ride a 29er, the 29ers roll much sweeter and smoother, so a 650B feels like a 29er but handles like a 26er. I've ridden mine almost every ride since building it in April and I can honestly say its fantastic and if the prices of rims and tyres fall into line I won't go back

Ben_Haworth

I've unconvinced by the 650B even after riding (and liking) the Spooky Horror Taxi (reviewed in the current issue of the mag btw). I'd rather just use large volume 26in tyres.

sheldona
    Free Member

I saw that Benji and have to disagree after riding mine so much it does feel totally different to any 26er I've ridden BUT I did have it custom made so that may be a factor. I do have some 26inch wheels I'm thinking of chucking in to see what it feels like.

rOcKeTdOg

the more i see it, the more i like the gate bike Sheldon

genghispod
    Free Member

Benji – very much like the way that people who write/work for the mag pop up on the forum every now and then. Chipps does it and, I think, Matt. Makes buying/reading the mag more personal and involving, I think. Not that anyone gives a f@@k what I think.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

That Indy Fab is beautiful!

What rims are those? I don't recognise them?

juan
    Free Member

Weird wheel size, non gears, weird frame, unusual handlebars, even more niche fork and front hub and to end it bling stuff on it…
    Now I can't help but wonder…

Mind you for something as dull as the Roc 😉 that will be fine

Gary_M
    Free Member

so a 650B feels like a 29er but handles like a 26er

I thought a 29er front rolled better and was smoother because it was bigger than a 26er. How can a wheel thats smaller than a 26er be smoother/better rolling?

Genuine question btw.

sheldona
    Free Member

smaller than a 26er

?? Its 27.5 inch

Juan, yawn 🙂

Rims are Velocity Blunts

juan
    Free Member

Sheldon my point exactly the race is so dull but if you are around this year again bring a real bike and I'll show you around some proper good stuff 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

Do you run the forks for a 29'r wheel or stock?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I very much wanted a Karate Monkey when they first came out, but never got round to owning one. I've always rather weighed the performance advantages (which I'm happy to believe are real) against the difficulty of getting spares and concluded that I'm better off in a herd.

Agreed that the IF is gorgeous though. 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is Sheldon the only one with a 650b bike?

sheldona
    Free Member

Juan, not going this year as I'm off to Scotland with the SS! I do like the Roc though no matter what you say about it, its a nice 58km of dry rocky riding that I can ride with my mate to finish off a years riding.

There are some 26er forks that will take 650B wheels and some that won't. I run the Maverick SC32's which have been tweeked to stop the wheel topping out on the crown and to reduce the height down so the overall front end is the same height as my geared IF.

Andy M I must be living up to my new forum name 🙂 I know there's more than mine around over on these shores, not many granted but some none the less.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Isn't the IF gorgeous 'cause it's an IF though, rather than 'cause it's a 650B?

Although personally I think it'd look even better without the clown wheels and extra top tube and with decent bars on it.

ton

rolfharris – Member
    I'm genuinely baffled as to what issues anyone could have with a 26" wheel, other than it being perhaps a bit big for dirt jumping.

😆 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Isn't the IF gorgeous 'cause it's an IF though, rather than 'cause it's a 650B?

Of course. 😀

nicko74

Show us your 650B bikes!

No, they're weird and I'm scared… 😥

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Show us your 650B bikes!’ is closed to new replies.