Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • Show me your steel road bikes
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Beej..

Quick one for you mate.. that Guerciotti, would it take a stnadard stem if you shimmed the fork, or do you have to use a quill type like you have??

beej

You can get quill to standard adaptors.

Like this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-quill-stem-adapter/

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers Beej, appreciated.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I got this on Tuesday but it is already far from stock. Groupset is now glossy grey Ultegra, bar and stem are PRO PLT carbon and the seatpost is a PRO Vibe carbon with a San Marco Aspide (with my name on it) stuck on top. Waiting on tyres and the time to recable it before I can swing a leg over it.

It does mean I have the stock bits looking for a new home if anyone has an Equilibrium or CdF frame they want to build up 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve obtained all the parts I need to complete the rebuild, except white cables and tub cement. Well chuffed, sold all my old ‘retro’ bits for just over £300 and that’s covered the purchase of the frame all the bits I need and a respray at Bob Jacksons.
    Just trying to visualize this old bit of tat in new Pepermint paint, all polished alloy parts, new tubs, white leather saddle, non aero cables etc.
    Hope to have it back from BJ by the end of April, and intend to race it at our club day.

damitamit
    Free Member

My new audax/touring bike…

geetee1972
    Free Member

MisterP given that you already changed groupsets what thought did you give to just buying a frame? I bought a Genesis frame and fork and built it up with parts sourced from here And there.

I am in the process of changing the frame now as it happens so I have a spare metallic red genesis that could go with your group set.

oldgit
    Free Member

damitamit is that a front dyno hub? That’s next on the agenda for my tourer/audax bike when this retro thing is all done.

damitamit
    Free Member

Yep, its a SP pv-8 on a Velocity A23 rim with Sapim Lasers.

oldgit
    Free Member

Very subtle, and the model I was looking at. Nice.

This is my happy 😀 thread.

specky4eyes
    Free Member

Waiting for a respray.

DSC05861 by NeilHerc, on Flickr

They’re coming out of the woodwork now!

oldgit
    Free Member

Phwooar.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

132 miles on it in the last 48 hours – its ace!

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Traitor Exile. There is a whole red and black thing going one with this one.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Just finished my Arthur Caygill

matthew_h
    Free Member

Finished building my steel road frame today. Needs some cosmetic tidying but that’s tomorrow’s job. Should be some pics by the weekend

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What did you go for matt – pipe wise?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Reynolds 953

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stainless?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Yup, 953 is stainless

rkk01
    Free Member

Columbus ELO
    Sublime ride

matthew_h
    Free Member

Here are a couple of pics of mine. It’s not entirely finished but had to be at Bespoked Bristol last weekend (where the pics were taken). I just need to fit the chainstay bridge and then paint the headtube and it’s done.

Frame is Reynolds 953 (with KVA Stainless chainstays) using stainless Llewellyn lugs. Geo is made to suit me based on a bike fit I had last year and built in a way that I can use it for everything from quicker days out to a good bit of touring.

Bazz

That is seriously lush :mrgreen:

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep. That’s exactly how I’d like my dream road bike to look!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Another 18 bikes, My new toy:

Mat’s is stunning in the flesh. I love the seatstays.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I know it’s not steel, but it’s still metal so hope you don’t mind me crashing the party.

Picked it up Monday and was out last night and rode it into work today. It’s crazy fast compared to the Genesis Equilibrium. You turn the pedals a few times and your brain expects you to be going at one speed and it turns out you’re going 15% quicker. It;s like being in a crowded car park and suddenly finding yourself in gear and traveling faster than you should be.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Stunning bike there matthew_h, really nice.

I’d be a proud owner of that.
    (would look even better with a little less post showing and the bars parallel to the deck) 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

My recently built Equilibrium with Ultegra 6700 groupset and PRO carbon bits. Yes I know the rules about saddle and bar tape matching but that saddle was free and it has my name embroidered on it 😳

I have a pair of DT Swiss 350 hubs coming in a couple of weeks to build up some nicer wheels for it too. I am a bit of an upgrade addict.

velomanic
    Free Member

My 80’s Reynolds 501 roadie, had this bike for 25 years!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Which Condor frame is that?

So much quality on this thread.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Which Condor frame is that?

It;s a Moda Ti. You hardly see them these days as anyone thinking about buying one would normally go for the Leggero carbon. I was particularly keen on Ti though for the comfort factor.

I have a pair of DT Swiss 350 hubs coming in a couple of weeks to build up some nicer wheels for it too.

Oooh, what are you thinking? Strada build fabulous wheels (I have two sets, the ones on the Condor and some very nice Enves on my mountain bike).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Second the idea for Strada! They built my CX wheels and I’m going back for another pair.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Just a set of DT Swiss RR465 double eyelet rims with DT Swiss Comp double butted spokes, all in black. Something fairly reliable for commuting and general riding. Plus I get DT stuff at a good price and will build them myself 😀

roady_tony
    Free Member

this thread is nicer than a croissant dunked in real hot chocolate.

this thread is getting me seriously thinking about a steel commuter – best place to buy a used steel frame. ebay seems limited…

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just a set of DT Swiss RR465 double eyelet rims with DT Swiss Comp double butted spokes

I am very much liking the H Plus Son rims with the Vittoria Open Paves; they are a wider rim giving the tyre a nice shape. The combination is super comfortable especially for commuting.

Strada is a great little company; they only build wheels out of an office unit down in Worthing and seem to take extra care and pride in their builds. The spoke tension is incredible and they have a free truing for life policy (which may only be of limited value unless you live close by!)

geetee1972
    Free Member

best place to buy a used steel frame

I am about to sell my metallic cherry red Genesis frame, fork and headset. It also has seat, pin, brakes and front mech on it. Size is 58cm; in truth it was a little large for me (I’m 1.78m/5ft 10″) but I rode it for 18 months and 1200 miles and in truth it is actually comfier than the Condor.

ajc
    Free Member

Geetee, sent you a pm about your genesis.

Sheriff_Fatman

My latest steel lovely:

The frameset was a ‘bargain’ that I just couldn’t resist, but having finally taken it out on its maiden ride last weekend, I’m very pleased I succumbed!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Size is 58cm; in truth it was a little large for me (I’m 1.78m/5ft 10″)

Crikey, I am about the same height as you and had a 56cm which felt a touch too long, I had to run a 90mm stem on it. My current Equilibrium is a 54cm with a 110mm and it feels much more controlled.

The cherry red is definitely the best colour though, I like my bronze but a bloke at work still has a red one and I look at it with lustful eyes.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think you’re right Mister P. I had the saddle all the way forward to get the reach right. My new condor is a 55cm (although condor do make their bikes a bit longer). The red is lovely. To be honest looking outside now at the shit storm weather that has just descended on central London I’m thinking I might keep the old girl and build her up as a winter bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Show me your steel road bikes’ is closed to new replies.