Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • show me your scandal
  • slowuphill
    Free Member

I am thinking of building up a light weight xc bike and thinking of the on one scandal 26". Any good? What build weights do you have? any pics??

29erKeith
    Free Member

29er Rigid SS as opposed to a 26 Geared HT but a Scandal as requested
    Can't remember the weight but it's pretty light even with the On One wheels
    no much to it though tbh

tinsy
    Free Member

ha ha, been waiting for this thread for a week… got impatient and had to post my own thread.. 26lb, but thats with all mountain kinda kit on it… (whatever all moutain is, too me its ferking big brakes :-))

alfabus
    Free Member

26lb, butthats with all mountain kinda kit on it…

Butt Hats?

tinsy
    Free Member

edited… but it did make me laugh..

khegs
    Free Member

Here you go. Don't know exactlyhow light it is, but it is pretty damn light.

z1ppy

can you stop bigging them up, I'm trying to locate a 26" frame on the cheap… well even cheaper than on-one sell em for, but without the sliding drop out

tinsy
    Free Member

Have you posted a wanted add? Got mine off here for £85 a bit scuffed.. but then had it powder coated..

belgianbob

Tins, if you don't mind me asking, how much was your powder coat?

z1ppy

jesus no, thought I'd have to save a bit more before I could afford one.. £85 is a steal.

khegs
    Free Member

Indeed, I could probably afford to get a spare frame, just in case, for that price 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

ja, sometimes you just get a bit of luck.

bob, it cost £70 but solid colours where £50 where I went, but mines got a metal flake finish to it that was another £20… he could have done gloss black for £40 as he had a run of other black stuff to do.

belgianbob

Hmmm… metal flake for £70. That'd suit my wallet much better than a new frame and, let's face it, a shiny bike – new or not – is always going to be lighter and faster, innit?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

let's face it, a shiny bike – new or not – is always going to be lighter and faster, innit?

Nope, that's why the scandal is anodised, to keep the weight down it's also why they changed from scandium to alu as the scandium mix wouldn't take the anodised finish very well and they didn't want the weight of the paint finish.

If you are going to buy a new scandal and fit it with big brakes and AM gear and spray it you are buying the wrong frame.

chunky_pott
    Free Member

Not a great pic but you get the idea.

tinsy
    Free Member

ha ha tuttut… I resemble that remark 😮 , or you could see it that to build all the bits off your all mountain susser cos you was sick of dragging the susser around an XC race since some fudge packer stole your Ti race bike it was an ideal way of saving 3lb and building up a FAST do it all hardtail for everyday riding, racing, commuting duties…

And of course shiny bikes are faster Bob.

Coating is only microns thick, and On one used to paint their Ti bikes!!
    (I had one, but obviously mine was stripped and polished, just cos it was bling 🙂 )

STATO
    Free Member

it's also why they changed from scandium to alu as the scandium mix wouldn't take the anodised finish very well and they didn't want the weight of the paint finish

Nope they changed as scandium was too expensive and this is cheaper and the tester didnt notice the difference in feel apparently, at least thats what brant said at the time.

STATO
    Free Member

also, they are painting scandals now anyway. First Pink, now british racing green.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

TBH, they came up with a couple of excuses at the time.

pinches
    Free Member

they've always done a painted scandal, a painted one was £30 cheaper than an anodised ones.

thats mine, at about 23lb built on a budget, i always wanted to put some SIDs on the front of mine, but got the Maguras for a steal and couldn't say no.

tinsy
    Free Member

You sure pinches? I got a similar build but with DT rev spokes, and maybe lighter forks, hope xc hubs, only heavy bit I have is the 4 pot brakes and mines 26lb

NO IT ISNT COS OF THE PAINT!!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

they've always done a painted scandal, a painted one was £30 cheaper than an anodised ones.

They have indeed, because the anodising went tits up on some of the frames.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It's unlikely that it's 23lb unless it's an XXS frame.

Mines a large, mainly XTR Hope proIII on DT 4.1s, 90g tubes, 460g tyres, 100mm Reba Team fork, 95g KCNC stem and and SDG I Fly saddle and I-Beam seat post weighs 370g all in.

It comes in at a smidge under 24lb.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

crazy question, but can it take a pannier rack and/or full mudguards?

thomthumb
    Free Member

now with rst m29s. i love it – as for a weight i think it was 24/25 lbs rigid.

it has the dropout mounts for a rack but not the seatstay mount – i have a seatclamp with mounts though for mine.

legend76
    Free Member

they're all very nice tinsy your's looks mint mate in white, can't weight to get my pics up(just need to get it back from my mate who finished off the build)

pinches
    Free Member

they have the threaded M5 hole in the rear dropout for the rack/muguards.

actually being precise in that guise, mine is a little over what i posted before, more like 23.6lb i think it is to be precise. I had it on a much cheaper build at around 26lb before i bought some decent wheels etc

tinsy
    Free Member

slowuphill, what none of this tells you is how fast they are, I had a Tinbred before but running lighter stuff and 1×9, the Scandal just IS a quicker bike, where the Tinbred had flex in the BB area, nothing is wasted on the Scandal any power you have makes it to the back wheel and they just seem to accelerate… you might have to change you name to FASTUPHILL…

Cheers Legend76

MarginWalker
    Free Member

My old ScandAL

Rode it for about 8 months but couldn't get used to the harshness of the ride. It shifted like sh**e off a shovel but was a back breaker on long spins and I couln't handle the scetchyness in tricky descents. Weighed in just under 21 lbs. Sold the frame and bought an EPIC SWORKs and feel mch more comfortable with the extra weight and full suss.

I have since bought and built up a Giant XTC at around 25lbs as a wee training bike and it is my favourite bike so far, get the odd back ache but nowhere near as sketchy as the ScandAL

jfeb
    Free Member

29er and pretty standard…

Great bike although the hubs on the standard On-One wheels need attention much sooner that I expected (play in them front & rear and I haven't yet worked out how to crack them open!)

If you want a cheap, light, fast and reasonable comfortable hard tail then look no further 🙂

placid_casual
    Free Member
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘show me your scandal’ is closed to new replies.