Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Should the Orange Order be Banned
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just read this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/15/unionists-orange-order-kerr-funeral

and got me thinking, should an organisation be arguing in favour of segregation, any organisation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cup of tea and a Garibaldi, anyone?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

( Pulls up chair )

Sorry, Coffe for me, feel free to have a hob nob though

iDave
    Free Member

they should be ashamed of themselves, and then banned.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No.

camo16
    Free Member

There’s a member (ex member?) on here who’d have all the answers. Gears something – I think he loved them.

Me? I’m just enjoying my jammy dodger and thinking about flying elephants.

BoardinBob

There’s a member (ex member?) on here who’d have all the answers. Gears something – I think he loved them.

Arent you confusing the Orange Order with the Freemasons?

camo16
    Free Member

Possibly.

Don’t distract me. This jammy dodger is so good it hurts.

wwaswas

Like the BNP/EDL etc I can’t help thinking that people just laughing and pointing at them every time they assemble for a march/demo would do more to harm their cause than being banned.

lapierrelady

It’s that old one about toleration, isn’t it? Our fairly liberal laws let us do what we want, until it starts to infringe on someone elses freedom to do what they want.

DaRC_L

Wouldn’t a jaffa cake be more appropriate for an orange thread….

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would not ban them as they have such lovely street parties and walks with those lovely bands that surley bring a smile to everyone faces- always seem so happy and inclsuive I am shocked that they are really like this

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maybe, Darc, but then we’re in to the whole cake/biscuit sectarian issue.

uplink
    Free Member

They look OK to me

geoffj

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Genius! 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Often happens. Wonder why.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No flashy, the cake/biscuit thing is an ecumenical matter. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

You’d definitely keep something moist like a Jaffa cake segregated from the likes of a Rich Tea wouldn’t you?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about a Bath Oliver?

SPLITTERS!

uplink
    Free Member

………….. and the Judean People’s Front

yunki
    Free Member

certainly until they build something a bit more refined than the Five..

GrahamS

Keep them (and EDL/BNP etc): I’d rather we can publicly identify the nutters so we can keep an eye on them!

I would not ban them as they have such lovely street parties and walks with those lovely bands…

MrsGrahamS, on seeing her first ever Orange march in Glasgow, was very much “Oh a big parade. Let’s go down and watch” till I explained what it was. Bless her.

yunki
    Free Member

There was a feature about a young (6yo) Belfast bandsmen on a cbeebies programme the other day..
    saying how nice it was to dress up and lead the band and that he loved marching season and hoped his baby brother would join one day too..

I don’t know if they were Orange Order but I still wondered if it was slightly poor taste.. 😕

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Like the BNP/EDL etc I can’t help thinking that people just laughing and pointing at them e

Edinburgh Defence League? Be along any minute totally prepared to be laughed and pointed at, I suspect

Northwind

As tempting as it is, it’s a bit of a first step on a slippery slope, once you’ve banned one bag of sh**es you’ll end up having to ban other s***ebags. And there’s so much s***ebaggery out there we’ll never get anything else done.

fisha
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I dont think its going to go away anytime soon on the basis of freedom of speech type argument.

I do think that they cause problems and are distruptive and the majority of the public look upon them with utter distain.

SST
    Free Member

it’s part of their heritage isn’t it? Doesn’t seem to matter if things are good or bad, if it’s someones heritage you can’t touch it.

Heard on the news this week that for the third time since June, a man (not the same man 3 times obviously!) has burned a female family member to death in order to “restore the family honour”. With people thinking like that, what chance is there ??

CHB

Bunch of sectarian nutters. Let em march and let the rest of us point and gesticulate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Often happens. Wonder why.

The only link between these two is that the RC church effectively banned it’s members from joining an organisation that it had no control over, that is why there are very few RC’s in the Freemasons. But don’t let historical facts get in the way of your views.

And whether you agree with them or not (Coming from the WoS, I’m used to it, but wish it would go away), they are entitled to their views as much as anyone else, and their right to march. Even though I was brought up here, as church of Scotland, I’d love to see the whole **** lot banned – both sides, but it’s just not practical, unless we opt for a totalitarian state.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But don’t let historical facts get in the way of your views.

That’s **** hilarious man.

ton

why should another man’s beliefs be banned?

mt
    Free Member

Ban them I say, being a liberal thinker it’s time that they and anyone else who does not agree with my liberal views was banned.

Freedom of speech includes hearing what you don’t like, even if it does mean that Jaffa Cakes are biscuits.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@ton:

I don’t think anyone is saying that their beliefs should be banned…certainly not me. Abhorrent as I find the Orange Order, I certainly wouldn’t have it banned – let them copy Freemasonry and it’s traditions, language, symbols etc. And dress in orange sashes and parade playing their flutes and the rest of it. They’re welcome to their traditions.

The only thing I had a major problem with for a long time was the triumphalist marches through “catholic/nationalist” areas. Thankfully, the parades commission put a stop to this nonsense.

We all “know” that there are major links between the Orange Order and loyalist paramilitaries and the RUC (as was) was pretty much Orange Order to the core…which was the reason that it frequently tipped off loyalist paramilitaries to the whereabouts of suspected PIRA militants. Again, thankfully, the RUC was disbanded.

edhornby

we should ask the queen, they march on her behalf….

mmm bourbon (not the american drink obv)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If we banned ordering oranges, after a long time there’d be a lost less 5’s strapped to Audi’s, at trail centres, eventually (There are long term and deep seated resons for single pivot bikes, thwy’re not going to go away overnight).

Might result in Scurvy though.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Dreary me……

No – we’d have to remove March from the calendar 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to matter if things are good or bad, if it’s someones heritage you can’t touch it…a man (not the same man 3 times obviously!) has burned a female family member to death in order to “restore the family honour”.

Err – but that is still murder in all forms of British law.

The only thing I had a major problem with for a long time was the triumphalist marches through “catholic/nationalist” areas. Thankfully, the parades commission put a stop to this nonsense

Why? If “freedom of speech includes hearing what you don’t like”, then why doesn’t freedom of association include watching people that you don’t like get together?

GrahamS

“freedom of speech includes hearing what you don’t like”

Except that it doesn’t where hate speech is involved.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Down with this sort of thing!

I’ve just realised, I’m riding a bright orange bike today. Damn.

Perhaps the best approach would be for the entire biking population of Ulster to each buy an Orange Five in that natty green frame colour? Job done.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I thought they were a special needs group with learning difficulties. some of those apprentices are probably over the required age

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Should the Orange Order be Banned’ is closed to new replies.