Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • Should I move out of the parents' house?
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

Lots of what ifs that dont change the maths for all we know they are still working.
    Its seems a bit of a leap to assume they would be living the dream but for the OP’s presence

If he is 30 they are likely to be in their 50’s. Is it such a leap to think that maybe they would be hoping to embark upon, or at least plan for the third phase of their lives?

I am sure his folks are very pleased to be able to help their son. I think it could all work out very nicely as long as the son is prepared to extend the same degree of care and subsidy to his parents as they age and is prepared to have them living under his roof when they become dependent and require caring for.

Otherwise it seems a little unfair.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Having read a lot of the posts, I’m starting to feel sorry for the OP.

On the other hand, all I can say is MTFU Princess. I left home at 18 (uni) where my parents did help a little. I haven’t ever been home though (besides holidays) and couldn’t.

It’s worth being broke with your self-respect!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I rent a flat with my Mrs., I am broke and have no self respect, where does this leave me?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I must admit, I havent lived at home since I left for uni at 18.

I moved into a shared house with a few other freshers, and it didn’t take me long to realise that it wasn’t going to work. They were living like animals, the kitchen was a complete state, there was a traffic cone in the hallway, used sheaths in the bathroom, and the living room wall was stacked high with empty beer cans. Unfortunately I wasn’t sure about how to go about asking them to live like normal people. I think living with my parents for eighteen years had rendered me socially inept. I resorted to writing notes and sticking them on the fridge door – this didn’t work.

But thankfully my parents own a second home in Durham, so I moved there, where I stayed for the course of my degree and whilst I worked my first job.

I now live on my own in my house in Spennymoor. My situation sounds similar to yours except I am lonelier, it costs more and I have to do all of the house chores.

So don’t go rushing into things OP, house shares are not for the faint hearted. And a house on your own isnt a great place to be. I’d see if you can crash on a friends sofa for a few days over a weekend to see what you make of living/sharing a space and interacting with other people.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

ransos – Member

I lived in house shares for about 5 years after I left uni, and it was a right laugh. And I met the woman who is now Mrs Ransos…

…and that’s where the fun ended. 😆

BurnBob
    Free Member

I’m lost for words, I really am. Someone else mentioned it earlier about almost looking for an excuse not to move out. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this is the fact that the OP has never mentioned his gender once however everyone has assumed he is male?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it such a leap to think that maybe they would be hoping to embark upon, or at least plan for the third phase of their lives?

Its a leap as to how big who knows- granted is not outlandishly implausible.
    Perhaps they should do this and rent it to him 😉

the most interesting thing about this is the fact that the OP has never mentioned his gender once however everyone has assumed he is male?

Given how male dominated this site is that will be correct for about 99.9% of posts I would imagine including yours

Mike-E

I was beginning to doubt this forum, and then a thread like this comes along 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

Regarding the OP: does he/she even know how to ride a bike?!

ransos
    Free Member

…and that’s where the fun ended.
    How very dare you!

Bazz

i don’t have the time to read all this now, but my two pence worth

Should I move out of the parents’ house?

..at the age of 30

YES
    YES
    YES
    YES
    YES!!!

hora
    Free Member

I’m not surprised some people support the OP. After all STW is home to the socially-awkward middle-aged 29’er evangalist.

_tom_
    Free Member

I would move out if I were you and if you can afford it, living at home is crap when you’re used to your independance. I had to move back in after uni as I couldn’t afford my own place. Now at 24 I’m only just in a financial position where I could rent if I wanted to, however I’m staying at home and saving for a house deposit rather than “wasting” it on rent. Cant wait to move into my own place! Saying that, its not so bad living at home now as its just me and my dad, and hes always away for work or away at the weekends I have off work, so its almost like having the place to myself anyway.

Also house shares can be crap and I doubt I’d want to move into one just for the sake of it. Depends who you’d be living with though – mates would be fine but after living with randomers for 2 years at uni I doubt I’d want to do it again. Its disgusting how filthy some people are!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve done it the other way. It’s fairly normal in my wife’s culture for the grandparents to support the mother when the kids are young, so granny or grandad have been with us in the flat for plenty of the last couple of years. Great in some respects, not so in others.

If I was the OP, I’d want to have plans to do something different after a decade at home as an adult. As plenty have said though, deposit in hand by now?

I’d also say that my family emigrated when I was 23 and I stayed here. Always regret not staying at home for a bit longer, since I’d moved out 3 years previously. Time spent with family is extremely valuable, assuming they’re not a shower of bastards 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

Made me think of this song:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDOkYkVs7M[/video]

That didn’t help the OP, but meh.

hora
    Free Member

How do you hide the cheeky handshandies from your mum OP?

‘Oh deary, got a cold again’?

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

How do you hide the cheeky handshandies from your mum OP?

‘Oh deary, got a cold again’?

well hopefully hes got his own bed in his own room(with posters on the wall an’ evryfink) 8)

daveky
    Free Member

As a regular jockey pretty much the only one’s I know that have bought in the last 5 years have had financial support from family members. The way I see it going forwards if you haven’t got that option you’re going to have to rent off somebody who has.

If you can’t give your kids a head start don’t have ’em cos they’ll only slave for the kids who’s parents have. How many 30 year old directors are there out there who aren’t in the family firm?

Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Should I move out of the parents' house?’ is closed to new replies.