Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • Should I move out of the parents' house?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Edric64 your medals in the post 🙂

scoob67
    Free Member

If independance is important to you, move out.
    If you can bear the sound of your rutting parents, desperately trying to rid theirselves of a lecherous hanger on, nightly, then £50 a lifetime seems reasonable.
    Man up and move out.
    How can you expect to raise children when you can barely wipe your own arse?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

You don’t necessarily need 2 wages to move out or get a mortgage. It sounds like your making excuses about the housing market to stay with your parents. Fine if it suits you but don’t kid yourself your staying due to the housing market.

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Not really sure why you’re asking random strangers where you should live?
    Maybe you should ask mummy? (sorry I couldn’t resist)

Ever wish you hadn’t bothered starting this? 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like most on here are just jealous of the fact you pay £50 per week and no doubt get your washing done for you and your tea cooked when you get home from work.

i would carry on living the dream, and spend your savings on Hope team green components for your bike and Pogs (or whatever else kids spend their money on).

If you’ve got to much spare time on your hands, you could ask your dad if you can build a pump track in your garden.

Living on your own is just a world of misery involving endless amounts of cooking, cleaning and ironing, all because you’re desperate to become an adult.

But make sure you move out before your parents are so old that you have to look after them!

solarpowered
    Free Member

Yes. Move out. You’ll realise why in about 5 years and think ….thank goodness I did when I did!

solarpowered
    Free Member

Edit: you’ll realise immediately! Not in 5 years time!….

5thElefant
    Free Member

30? Move out or kill them and claim their pensions.

philm
    Free Member

Having your own place is more than a financial decision. Think of the self esteem boost you’ll have from gaining independence. If you haven’t got enough for a deposit now consider renting your own place or a house share. Can you lodge with one of your mates or jointly rent to save money?

I moved out at 25 into a house share. Even then I felt it was long overdue. It felt great being independent but financially it wasn’t the best move as I’m now 31 and only now have enough money to buy my own place. If I’d stayed at home I would have been able to buy my own place at 27-28.

In my opinion 30 is too old to be living with your parents and you need to move out whether its renting or buying.

br
    Free Member

For a bit of balance many Greek and Italian guys I know lived at home till they got married in their 30’s and it was no biggie

This.

I worked in Naples for a while, and no way would a single guy/girl leave home for anything other than to move in with someone or to work away.

If you’re all happy, and the place has enough room – what’s the problem? And I’ve 3 sons’ – luckily we’ve also space (and planning permission) for an annex for children or parents.

And I bought my first place at 20 y/o, but then you could on even a poor wage – a bit different now, and tbh my working kids are barely earning much more than I was at their age (and that was 30 years ago).

DanW
    Free Member

Go find yourself a sugar-mama

Lots of problems solved in one hit 😀

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I moved out at 20, bought first house at 24, 2nd house at 28. Next week I turn 30 😀

I wouldn’t even be thinking twice about moving out / buying.

scotroutes

He may not be that way inclined….

njee20
    Free Member

Finished Uni in 2008, moved out 2009, got made redundant 2010, bought house this year. I couldn’t comprehend still living with my parents now.

If you can, go nuts, you come across as very juvenile from what you’ve said, and I’ve got friends who are very similar. No place of randomers on the interwebz to tell you what to do.

DanW
    Free Member

He may not be that way inclined….

Sugar daddy works just as effectively according to preference 😀

fizzicist
    Free Member

OP You actually feel the need to ask?!

No point in worrying about losing equity in a house – it’s not exactly liquid funds now is it?!

You also need to do a reality check – if you haven’t saved up oodles of cash whilst living with your folks, then you will have to accept that the first house you buy/rent will be a doer-upper/total shitter.

Mine was – We bought a ratty terraced house in an undesireable area for not a lot of money in 2003. At the time all the same noises were going on about ‘houses are over valued’, negative equity risk, interest rates (shockingly high at 5.5%), all those things. The house we bought was damp, draughty, dreadfully decorated and not where we wanted to be.

It was however, in our budget and more importantly, ours.

We redecorated on a tight budget, worked bloody hard and five years later had a nice house, which was very much our home. If we’d continued worrying, we would still be renting and complaining we’ll never be able to afford a deposit.

We couldn’t really afford a deposit then but we found a way and consequently got a foot on the ladder.

At the bottom, which is always a good place to start.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We couldn’t really afford a deposit then but we found a way and consequently got a foot on the ladder.

At the bottom, which is always a good place to start.

I could be wrong – but basically that’s what 97.5% folk one here are saying – in a nice way. And sorry about the Jesus thing.

Buy a flat / house to live in. It property values go tits up: walk away. Your first house is never an investment. Its somewhere to live.

Markie
    Free Member

For a bit of balance many Greek and Italian guys I know lived at home till they got married in their 30’s and it was no biggie

This.

I worked in Naples for a while, and no way would a single guy/girl leave home for anything other than to move in with someone or to work away.

Sure. But British societal norms are somewhat different to Greek or Italian ones in this regard, which means that living at home at 30 in the UK has different implications socially than doing so in Greece or Italy.

And yes, HPC is quite a place!

Conqueror
    Free Member

IMO (take with a bucket of salt or whatever) in the UK it seems:

-There’s a lot of people out there faced with a lifetime of renting.
    -A lot of people also have quite high expectations of what they should have and sometimes its not realistic.

I would of thought getting on the housing ladder by the age of 30 would be pretty good going in the UK?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Depends where you live I guess. In the principality that is London then owning a property at 30 would be good going I guess. Up here in the grim North it isn’t quite as remarkable.

I consider my house (which is my first) to be an investment-identical one opposite has just gone up for sale for 25k more than I paid this time last year.

McHamish
    Free Member

Yeah, you should move out.

Get one of these so you won’t miss bitty.

timc
    Free Member

Ive lived at home for all but 3 of my 31 years, managed to save a healthy deposit & be debt free, just bought my first house.

Im presuming you have a deposit or at least saving towards one?

chewkw
    Free Member

Save as much as you can while staying at your parents.

I am sure parents does not bring up children just to kick them out.

When the time is right you move out. i.e. when you start your own family or you have enough saving to risk it.

I would rather contribute to my parents’ expenses than paying rent.

The economy is going to be gloom and doom for sometime to come … you are talking about at least 10 – 20 years period from now. Burden yourself with debts during this time you will incur unnecessary stress for your future/future family.(UK national debts are four times that of bankrupted Greece and no way of reducing … UK also ranks 3rd in the world with debts)

Give it another 5 to 10 years the trend will be more people likely to stay their parents until they are ready to leave. Even if the house price decreases not many will be able to afford it or at least not want risk it because jobs will be Very difficult to come by and pay will be shite. You are competing with people from EU btw. Zero hour contract? See that coming …?

Why tie yourself down at this age while you can still continue to save up until you are ready?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Iesu Grist. what have you missed! i bet you have never even had a std? go and play in the world man it really is great fun. have you noticed how the people who had negative equity are still around, smiling, riding high end bikes. oh… and most of them have pretty nice houses. grow up, get off your xbox (im only 2 yrs older than you)

user-removed
    Free Member

lesu Grist – I worship you.

mooose
    Free Member

Should I move out of the parents’ house?

………Yes!!!

pipnet1
    Free Member

I moved out when I was 25. It took about a day to realise I should have done it years earlier! If you can’t afford to buy then rent, it’s not a dirty thing y’know 😉

crispo
    Free Member

As others have said, why not rent!?

There’s no shame in it you know! Owning your own house is great but not cheap!

piemonster

In the OPs position. Before moving out I’d be tempted to attempt setting up a small business.

Invest in a van and garden office workspace, and if it goes tits up. You’ve got a bike (maybe, depends how wrong it goes)van, and you’ve bought your folks a nice garden room. And gained some valuable (bitter) experience.

I know setting up a new business is a tough ask at the minute. But with the OPs concerns, and a micro scale venture I reckon it’d be worth a punt with minimal risk. It might also be a tough ask for your folks.

As for staying at home, what do your folks think. Some on here would gladly see the back of your wretched existence. My Folks are still asking me to move back in, and I’m 36. Different parents have different attitudes on the matter.

The girlfriends folks wanted us to join resources to buy a joint “estate” in Pembrokeshire just a few months back. They are still keen. I am still utterly horrified. I’m sure Pembrokeshire is nice, but not that nice. Even with separate living spaces / buildings.

You’ll almost certainly be happier in the short term for moving out. But worry less about social snobbery, and worry more about the long term implications. 9 times out of 10 long term it’s better to move out. But not always.

logical
    Free Member

I moved out at 18. It was hard going but I don’t regret it. My two Uncles still live at home. They’re 59 and 64 a little sad I don’t envy them. Both a little socially backwards really.

Oh and Curiousyellow. What are you doing outside of English Voodoo? Gamecat won’t be happy.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Get yourself a cougar, the always have their own sex dens houses so you could move in and pay with favours while still saving for a place of your own, although at 30 you may no longer be attractive prey for the best cougars and may have to settle for a turkey vulture!

Hope this helps

sleepless
    Free Member

Bitty- bitty I want bitty.

my kids are 9 and 11 and both know they have their own lives to live out in the big bad naughty world, and can not wait to be old enough to live anywhere they want around the world- our home is not on their list, it is on their places to keep visiting but not live, especially at 30! good grief!

momo

I moved out when I was 18, but moved back in with my parents last year. I would much rather live on my own again, but moving back home is allowing me to save a deposit so that I can buy my own place rather than renting.

If you’ve been sensible and saved a good deposit then neg equity shouldn’t be a problem. Buy the right house and you won’t need to move for a good few years anyway.

samuri
    Free Member

How apt.
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/people-who-dont-buy-a-house-will-never-be-happy-2013082178832

😉

Personally I’d say if you’re happy living with your parents and you don’t really feel any burning desire to move out then stay there. if you feel they’re restricting your freedom and enjoyment then move out. The rent/buy argument is purely academic. Plenty of people choose to rent nowadays even when they can afford to buy. Nowt wrong with it.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My brother is still at home. At 40 – something. Living off my parents generosity, claiming he is broke but constantly buying shite. As a consequence he commands no respect.

I can’t imagine why he/you/anyone would want to stay living in someone else’s pocket.

My kids are pretty keen to go, but I’d let them stay until 21 max. Then they’ll need to as I’ll be off sailing and probably living on a boat.

At 30 you’re rapidly turning into my brother. That is not a good thing.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@logical

Oh and Curiousyellow. What are you doing outside of English Voodoo?

Looking for my sister I think.

franksinatra

Given the OP has not replied since his first post, I’m now calling this one a Troll

DanW
    Free Member

This thread would definitely be enhanced by a reply from the OP otherwise it will very quickly go even more downhill 😀

Maybe he/ she is out cougar/ silver fox hunting and doesn’t have the time to reply? 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont think its a troll… lots of people that age (me included) worry about house values, negative equity, slipping deeper into financial crisis etc etc…. i know lots of people my age who still live at home with parents for exactly the reasons stated in the OP, and most of them dont pay any money towards bills etc (lucky sods)

i’m of a similar age, been saving for a deposit for years, have the same worries.. only difference is i’ve been renting for years so the savings have been accumulating a LOT slower than if i’d lived with parents

if i was the OP and reading the responses, i’d be reluctant to reply again, lots of micky taking mixed in with the advice.

badnewz
    Free Member

Stay where you are. You are really very lucky to have that option. And in terms of it being embarrassing – well, who cares?

Make plans to move out – whether saving up cash for a place (yeah I know…) or like me, buying a narrowboat to live on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Should I move out of the parents' house?’ is closed to new replies.