Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Short Travel Forks
  • Tim
    Free Member

If you were keeping your eye out for some short travel forks, 1.1/8, 50-60mm travel, not too heavy and relatively modern (e.g. not old and ruined or old and megapounds)

What would you look at?

Cheers

🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id get some old marzocchi Z2’s, pretty sure they did a 60mm travel version. You could lower them yourself anyway I reckon.

wwaswas

50-60mm travel – you’d struggle to find anything made in the last 10 years, I think.

best bet is an old set of SIDS and then play around with the internal spacers, I’d guess.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tim
    Free Member

Was thinking SID – Z2’s are pretty heavy IIRC

want a disc as well 🙂

For an old bike (nostalgia) that was gonna get built as ‘period’, but i’m kinda thinking it would work just as well modernised.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont think Z2’s were particularly heavy, circa 4lbs, possibly a touch less.

z1ppy

m8 got some 80mm Marz Marathon’s(2006), he ‘was’ looking to replace but as they (well similar models) don’t sell for much on on ebay, so he’s gunna keep em instead now.

But with 80mm travel, reported 1450g weight, & marzocchi’s ‘bomber’ reliabilty, if I was you I’d be lookin out for a set or at least thinking about em

eg: one sold lately here

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I have a Z2 fork sitting in a cupboard somewhere, only kept for owning purposes. It’s circa 1998, (off a 1999 explosif), 60mm travel, red, hasn’t been on a bike since 2005, needs a service – seals were leaky when i took it off IIRC. No idea what state the internals might be in. Externally the stantions are perfect (protected by rubber boots). Lowers have a few scuffs. No disc mount though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pace RC38s..?

z1ppy

It’s also worth noting that it’s not the travel that matters, but the overall length of the fork. Your frame was probably designed for 395mm or something like that, the 80mm pace are usually around 455mm. The 80mm marzocchi of similar age will be similar (I can measure my m8’s but not till next wed) & that potentially will slacken your head angle by about 2.5 degress, which is a lot.

I seem to remember than it was mentioned that you can actually continue to add the “all travel” spacers to Rockshox (Reba) forks to take them lower than the supposed 80mm minimum. No idea how tall they would be, Axle to crown wise, though when converted.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I keep saying this but people keep putting me down, but Im pretty sure the old marzocchi’s were long for the amount of travel they had.

I remember the RockShox Dukes used to be quite low when at 80mm. Also as far as Im aware Reba’s are 80mm are also about 450mm so the idea above about lowering them sound like a good one.

Rickos
    Free Member

You’re right. Old ‘zocchis were long in the axle to crown compared to RS and Fox of the same travel. Not quite sure of the year they sorted it out and became comparable, but I suspect it was more recently than you expect.

kiwijohn

I’m running an 07 Fox F80 on my 95 DBR Axis TT. The difference between 60 & 80mm isn’t enough to worry about.
    The damping is worlds better than anything from the era.

soma_rich
    Free Member

RS Judy Race I have some I was toying with selling…
    RS Indy SL 2.9lbs

Hairychested
    Free Member

soma_rich, those Races sound nice, what’s your price?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Hairy Not sure there in very good nic and have been TF tuned. £50?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Short Travel Forks’ is closed to new replies.