Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Short cage vs Long cage
  • stev0
    Free Member

After a quick internet/forum search not come up with anything particularly helpful, so here goes:

destroyed a mech hanger and mech for the first time on Saturday.

The bikes a 2010 Orange Crush, I run single ring up front, 34 tooth by memory and the standard 9 speed 11-32 cassette at the back….I think (correct me if I’m wrong)

Thinking about a replacement mech I’d like to keep to a Sram x9 for budget resons and pretty happy with the performance, but just wondered if there are any benefits to running a short cage mech over the stock medium cage? and will a short cage work with my gear setup?

thanks.

qtip

Short cage will work with a single ring, no problem. Main advantage is that the shorter cage is less likely to get bashed by rocks, plus it will weigh a bit less.

svalgis
    Free Member

Less chance of the same happening again is the main reason for short cage. No downsides really if you run a single chainring and plan on continue doing so.

stev0
    Free Member

brilliant, short cage it is.
    cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Short cage is definitely the way to go if you run a single ring setup.

Just a minor word of caution though, if you’re running anything bigger than a 30T rear cog it MUST be an MTB short cage mech. Modern roadie short cage mechs are ok up to a 30T, but not beyond (you need a medium/long for that), older roadie short cages only suitable up to 27/28T normally. But MTB short cage mechs will generally be fine with a 32 or even a 34T cog on the back, and even up to a 36T cog on a 10spd setup (with a 10spd specific rear mech of course).

skids
    Free Member

I wouldn’t run a short cage mech with a 36T cassette

KevinPP
    Free Member

I do. Been absolutely fine. Seems to help reduce chain slap too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Short cage vs Long cage’ is closed to new replies.