Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shoes or pedals first?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

At the moment I’m running Candys and Spesh Tahoe shoes, both from the MTB. Have been getting a bit of the ‘hot spot’ where the cleat is. Don’t get it offroad.

Want to upgrade to road shoes and pedals and got these in mind:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe

But can’t afford to do both at once so can I a)run crank bros cleats with the DHB shoes or b)Shimano road cleats with the Tahoes.

And which would be better/eliminate the hot spot?

TiRed

Neither I’m afraid. MTB shoes will not take a Look or Shimano SPD-SL cleat on account of the tread and bold pattern. You will need both shoes and pedals. Shimano pedals are excellent (and I ride Look).

For a cheaper solution, try moving your cleat forwards slightly.

EDIT: Sorry misread post, you can run Crank Brothers Cleats with road shoes. So if you have a spare set of cleats, get the stiffest road shoes you can find.

Lifer
    Free Member

Thanks mate shoes it is, in the meantime will try moving the cleat forward for tomorrow’s ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Specialized shoes are quite wide compared to shimano so make sure you try them on and they’re comfortable.

Shoes are one of those things (like saddles and helmets) where the ‘best’ (lightest, stiffest, most vented) is irelavent, you just need to find one that fits and after that worry about weight/stiffness/looks.

As for shoes Vs Pedals, you can get pedals for £20 (I’ve got outland copies of look keo) which will do the job better than mtb pedals.

atlaz
    Free Member

Some of the Polaris shoes have both cleat patterns so you can run SPD or 3-bolt road cleats. Pretty sure some others do too

Lifer
    Free Member

Just ordered my first set of disco slippers, some DHB 1s from wiggle, and found some Look Keo copies on amazon. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shoes or pedals first?’ is closed to new replies.