Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano Yumea Chain – worth it?
  • BigJohn

It's time for a new chain. The current one hasn't stretched and I like to alternate 2 chains to keep the (XT) cassette and (Deore) rings alive for longer. Normally I use a SRAM 9 speed one but my LBS has got a Yumea for £25.

Very tempted. Anybody else had experience?

MtbCol
    Free Member

Mine looks nice.
    Other than that, I haven't really felt any difference between that and the SRAM chain I used to run.
    Apart from the fact it was part of the STW prize from a while back :mrgreen:

mtbfix

At cost price, what have you got to lose? Use a Sram link to join it though.

sofatester
    Free Member

Of course it's not worth it. That's not the point of Yumea kit 🙄

Alb
    Free Member

£25 is a bargain and cheaper than srp on an XTR chain. The upgrades of a Yumeya chain are:

– Hollow pins to reduce weight, 10 grams less than XTR

– Ti-Nitrate plated inner plates to reduce friction for better shifting and improved durability. The Ti-Nitrate coating is also porous and holds lube for longer

atlaz
    Free Member

Do they have a lot of them at £25 and if so, where are they? 🙂

BigJohn

They only had one, I've got it here now in its rather nice hard padded case.

I've come over all Gollum. I might not get round to fitting it, I might just leave it here on my desk.

Alb – Lube? You mean I've got to lube it?? Special Edition 3in1 for me then.

druidh
    Free Member

Yes. Because you're worth it.

BigJohn

I've just given it its first special lube.

njee20
    Free Member

Deore rings and a Yumeya chain? Strange set up that, I can understand eeking out an XTR transmission, but with Deore/XT I'd be more inclined to run it into the ground over a year then replace it all! New chains never work quite as nicely on even slightly worn rings/cassettes IMO!

To answer your original question, the Yumeya chains are decent, the most worthwhile part of the group.

BigJohn

I just find Deore rings are better than anything else. A touch heavier maybe but long lasting and slick. XT cassettes similarly, and at £25 all I was worried about was compatibility.

EDIT – I just remembered the shop actually sold me an STX/RC granny back in December, now that's gonna be a unique combo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Yumea Chain – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.