Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Sheffield bike theft. Again.
  • tlr

1am this morning we were woken by the sound of somebody wrenching the garage door open and the security lights ablaze. I looked out to see some scrotoid trying to get through the gap he’d made. I shouted, expecting him to bugger off, but he carried on, and by the time I got my pants on and went out he’d disappeared with a bike. Ecclesall Rd area.

A neighbour saw him drive off holding the bike out of the drivers window! But despite them getting the number plate, and the police arriving within a few minutes he was gone.

Worryingly, given his perseverence in the face of being discovered, and having set the house alarm and lights off we’re thinking he knew that there were bikes inside. Unfortunately he has now seen how many…

So anyway, just (another)heads up to be careful with your bikes, and if anyone comes across the bike below let me know.

Completely custom Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR kit, ZTR wheels, white SIDs, Avid Elixr Rs (the wrong way round). As per picture except Ritchey stem and FSA K Force flat bars.

Cheers

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Im up on Chessie road i’ll keep an eye out.

Superficial
    Free Member

Leave a giant mousetrap (use a bike instead of cheese) in the garage for when he comes back.

ton

your bike were not chained up inside the garage?

make sure they all are from now on.

oldboy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the theft of your bike. With quality kit like this it looks like someone followed you home one day!

Hornet600
    Free Member

Rig the garage door to the mains electric for when he comes back! Sorry to hear, theres just no need for it. When caught, they should lose a hand so that everybody knows!!

Sorry, rant over, just really annoys me.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

We’re in S17, so will keep an eye open for it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Little toerag! Talk about bare-faced cheek.

Hope you get a result with the car reg and that wasn’t nicked too.

float
    Free Member

Avid Elixr Rs (the wrong way round)

for the next few days keep a lookout for a scrote with severe road rash to his face. that’ll be your guy.

hora
    Free Member

We need to have a sticky saying if you like your bike dont leave it in a shed or garage.

It seems to happen too much/too frequently. sorry.

dobo
    Free Member

Sounds like a decent dlock or chain to a ground/wall anchor may have prevented him getting away with your bike.
    Also be careful theres only one scrote about, they will do anything to steal your bike and anything to get away. loacking him in the garage would of been the best bet whilst fumbling with your bike lock!

wafty
    Free Member

Leave a hungry Rotweiller inside .. .sorry for your loss dude…

boxfish
    Free Member

Sounds like a decent dlock or chain to a ground/wall anchor may have prevented him getting away with your bike.

If only that were true. It’s what I thought until last Thursday when I entered the garage to find the remains of my bike (pictured below) next to an intact chain and ground anchor.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Ah bugger. I have a horrible feeling that I recognise that bike and hence know who TLR is.

I hate reading this kind of thing and obviously we’ll keep our eyes open at the shop for any signs.

The other Matt at 18 Bikes

M6TTF
    Free Member

Mate had his nomad taken from his garage, it was chained to a wall anchor. They just chipped the whole brick out

crikey
    Free Member

I agree with hora; anyone who leaves £2-3-4000 of bike in a garage, chained up or not, is asking for it to be taken.

It’s wrong, but as long as there are easy pickings, this kind of thing will continue.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bikes live in the house with the dog.

boxfish
    Free Member

anyone who leaves £2-3-4000 of bike in a garage, chained up or not, is asking for it to be taken.

🙄

flow
    Free Member

Would you leave £3-4000 cash in your feching garage?

Not really any different.

I really don’t see why people do this, then are surprised they get nicked.

crikey
    Free Member

Would you like to add to those rolled eyes?

flow
    Free Member

Boxfish – you 🙄 but he is right.

boxfish
    Free Member

You know what? You’re so right. What a ‘feching’ genius you are. Bye trolls.

njee20
    Free Member

Is this really the time or the thread to get all high and mighty Crikey?

Many people don’t really have a choice of where to keep bikes…

downs523
    Free Member

Was there any lock on the bike?

chakaping
    Free Member

Right that’s it, my daughter’s sleeping in the garage tonight and the bikes are going in her room.

Now who’s going to explain to my wife?

flow
    Free Member

How about you put the bikes in your bedroom, I have 4 in mine.

Mrs doesn’t like it but she also has no choice,
    Edit: Sorry, bit harsh.

crikey
    Free Member

Is this really the time or the thread to get all high and mighty?

Unfortunately, yes, it is exactly the time. Every time one of these threads appear, someone will usually suggest this and get told off for daring to be so presumptuous as to make a sensible suggestion.

Mountain bikes are desirable objects, both in themselves and as things that can be sold on quickly, or broken into parts and moved on in other ways.
    Putting them in garages and sheds, however good the security may be is demonstrated, over and over and over again, to be a less than great idea.

Anyway, please go back and close that stable door, I’m sure it will help.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m sorry for your loss but do agree that the place for an expensive bike is in the house.

boxelder

I agree with hora; anyone who leaves £2-3-4000 of bike in a garage, chained up or not, is asking for it to be taken.

Would you leave £3-4000 cash in your feching garage?

Not really any different.

I really don’t see why people do this, then are surprised they get nicked.

I wondered what 🙄 meant –
    Am I allowed to leave bikes in my own garage if I have 6 locks to go along with the alarm and security lights?
    Do you cable tie yours to your scrotum while riding?

Gutted for you tlr – but at least it was half way to worn out after Kielder and the scrote might just end up use the chin brake on the tarmac when he grabs a handful of front brake by mistake?

Hornet600
    Free Member

I have to say, I think it is sad that you can’t keep what you want in your own garage without the risk of some thieving scum bag thinking that it could be theirs.
    I know many poeple who have £9k plus motorbikes in their garages, does that mean they have to keep them in the house?
    As there are no punishsments for the scum they will continue.

crikey
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Instead of being personal and acting like a child, maybe you could think about the number of ‘Went out to the garage/shed this morning and found my bike gone’ threads.

It’s a problem that will not be sent away by big locks or alarms; it’s about storing very expensive, very portable, virtually untraceable, highly desirable, highly valuable things in relatively easy to enter out buildings.

hels
    Free Member

I would keep the motorbike in the house if I could get it up the steps !!

Hornet600
    Free Member

LOL, couldn’t you build ramp?!?

I would keep mine in the house, but the wife went mad last time she come back from a night out and found my bike in the house!!

4ndyB
    Free Member

It does not matter where your safe place for your bikes is garage, shed, house… if they want it they will do their best to take it.

I know this only too well as I had a £3k Orange 5 stolen from inside my locked & alarmed house. The bike was in the front room with 3 other bikes

The Orange 5 was the only bike to be taken. They knew the bike was there & decided to take it, the house alarm wailing away did not deter them, they even closed the back door on their way out!

Wherever you leave your bikes do your best to make it as hard as possible for the scum to take them easily

They will go to extreme lengths to take high end bikes, chopping the frame is the quickest and easiest way to get a few £K of bike parts so we need to do whatever we can to keep what we paid for in our possession.

I have to lock my bikes up in my frigging house now, just in case they come back for the other bikes I own.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Makes me want to sit on sentry duty with my 3 shot semi-automatic shotgun just in case!! Obviously with rice in cartridge rather than lead shot!!

flow
    Free Member

It does not matter where your safe place for your bikes is garage, shed, house… if they want it they will do their best to take it.

Thats why I like dags.

I’m not sure they would do anything to be honest, but neither will the people who are breaking in.

If I was them, I would rather give it a miss.

singletrackmind

There must be a way to wrap live SWA around the bikes.
    Maybe with 30 amps pumping through them the oiks will be put off.
    Bury 1 end in the wall, and feed the other end to a socket inside a safe , with a slot for the cable. Double cable clamp to stop the oiks pulling wires out .
    You want your bike . 4 digit combination on safe , open door, unplug industrial 3 pin from socket , unlace bike to used on that occaision , replace socket in holder in safe , shut safe door .
    let them use bolt croppers on that bbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

leffeboy

I would suggest one of these in the garage but in the end it’s only going to slow them down a bit – bad luck 🙁

simonm
    Free Member

next people will be saying you can’t leave a £20k car on the drive without expecting some scrote to take it…..

flow
    Free Member

next people will be saying you can’t leave a £20k car on the drive without expecting some scrote to take it…..

You can’t really pick a car up, hang it out a car window, then drive off with it can you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield bike theft. Again.’ is closed to new replies.