• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sharm El Sheikh for £400 5* all inclusive – bargain or risky?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

With the current unrest in the Middle East there are some very cheap deals to Sharm El Sheikh. You can get a 5 star all inclusive resort for about £400 a week with flights.
    Normally I wouldn’t go anywhere near a resort type holiday, but it may keep the Mrs of my case, as long as it doesn’t kick off!
    Anyone been out there recently?
    Sharm is miles away from Cairo and I don’t think there was any trouble there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Avoid. Go to Thailand instead.

If you insist on going then no taxpayers bailout please which things kick off …

DT78
    Free Member

You will probably be ok. It is very different there to the rest of egypt (as it’s mainly made up of tourists and foreign workers…)

There were an awful lot of bored looking security guards with automatic weapons sat around not doing much (other than staring at my wife).

I wouldn’t though.

CHB

bargin…go! (i would)

JoeBones
    Free Member

You will end up in a pair of orange overalls getting you head chopped off on ogrish.com, dont bother!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Think I’d be more worreid about the shark that was on the loose that everyone has forgotten about 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What does the FCO say? Worth bearing in mind….

MrTall
    Free Member

I was unfortunate enough to go to Egypt once and you couldn’t pay me to go back there. It was the Pyramids/Sphinx and Cairo to be fair, not sharm but never again.

Horrible filthy place with people who’s sole purpose in life is to be rude and empty your wallet. I would imagine all the problems out there can’t have made it any more of a dump than it already was…..

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Neighbours went last week. No trouble at all. It was very quiet everywhere – as in the place was 30% full, some hotels ere closed.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have a friend that was out there the week that Mubarak stepped down.

She said there was very little concept that there was anything going on in the country. A couple of day trips got cancelled (Cairo I think) but other than that it was a perfectly normal holiday.

Enjoy.

hora
    Free Member

Go where you want and live your life. You can get stabbed/mugged in New York or Milan.

Go to Thailand? No thanks!

tron
    Free Member

Having been to Sharm el Sheikh, I’d not go again unless the holiday were free. £400 for all inc. doesn’t even sound very far away from the going rate.

There was a thread on here about Sharm a while ago by the way. It was fairly unanimous.

chewkw
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Go to Thailand? No thanks!

Why? There is no war, good food and sunshine throughout?

sadexpunk

tooooo right. im off to phuket in a few weeks 🙂

timc
    Free Member

for the sake of a few hundred quid… not worth the risk

gemma
    Free Member

My friend has just got back and she said it was very quiet.

hora
    Free Member

There are elements of Thailand that I do not agree with and make me feel uneasy. I would rather spend/visit better countries.

Flaperon

You’ll be fine in Sharm el Shark. As others have said, though, it’s very quiet down there at the moment.

bruk

The FCO says fine to go. Unlike other european countries the UK authorities will offer travel advice for different areas of countries thus why most other countries probably say don’t visit.

Sharm will be as safe as normal. It is a purpose built resort with 1 aim:- to encourage western tourists to spend their cash in Egypt. The people working their have little reason to upset their source of income.

If you will enjoy the place then go, if not then go somewhere else.

craa22uk

have been out there twice – try and go to dahab it’s much nicer, relaxed – try look for a deal in le meridian

you can dive, snorkel and kite surf up there and going out to the town for a meal is pretty relaxed – much more so than sharm, el finar, old sharm etc

re instability – egypt remains a sovereign arab country so bombs and that aside it should be safe

re sharks – go diving with uk dive schools off boats, the trouble was near middle gardens with snorkelers on the surface

have a safe and pleasant trip

cxi
    Free Member

The in-laws came back from the Movenpick resort at El Gouna (which is on the other side of the Red Sea from SES) a couple of weeks ago.

No problems at all and the hotel staff were delighted to have some guests. About 120 guests in a resort built for 1000+, mainly Brit’s as the FCO said the resorts were safe (unlike the Germans and Russians).

ianpinder
    Free Member

My mum spent a month out there whilst it was all going down, no trouble at all, all the egyptians were begging here to tell her friends that it’s safe, alot of the hotels are closed becaause there are not enough tourists.

I would go, i’m thinking of going over easter because it’s nice and cheap. Still can not go in the water though. However scuba diving is avaliable because apparently sharks only go for people snorkling

trailmonkey

i’ve just come back from the canaries and the hotel was packed with french people who had been sent to alternative destinations to avoid the situation in egypt and elsewhere.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

A friend has just come back from Luxor. no trouble at all, but it was quiet, which was a good thing.

I went to sharm two years ago, its great for swimming/snorkeling and scuba diving. Amazingly hot, beautiful sea. Lovely fish restaurant in old sharm. Naama bay is just a huge tourist rap with all the trappings of benidorm
    If you can get a hotel with its own beach its worth going, as it really is a nice place.

i would go tomorrow

Dibbs
    Free Member

We went out there for the week leading up to xmas, it was great to be somewhere warm when everyone back at home was snowed in. All I wanted was to lie around in the sun by the pool and drink, it was just the ticket. Getting back to Bristol on xmas eve and -8C was a bit of a shock though.
    I would quite happily go out there now.
    We did Cairo and the Nile cruise thing the year before last, completely different to Sharm.

hora
    Free Member

packed with french people who had been sent to alternative destinations to avoid

Always fleeing a fight I see.

konabunny
    Free Member

I was in Sharm when USUK started invading Iraq as it happens. I wouldn’t hesitate to go again from a security POV (although there were some pretty significant bombings in 2005 and 2006). But I would hesitate to go again because it was a complete hole with too many hawkers hanging around and not enough “stuff” apart from shitty resorts and crappy theme restaurants. Now with even fewer tourists, I’d imagine it’ll be even more of a nightmare to get rid of the hello misters. So long as you don’t go off the rez (there’s nothing to see in S-e-S anyway), I’m sure it’ll be about as good as a resort holiday gets.

But I’d go to Cairo etc for that price, for sure…

hora
    Free Member

Has everyone got a short memory?

Back in the late 90’s/early 00’s Islamists targeted Western Tourists including:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/17/newsid_2519000/2519581.stm

Whats happened now is nothing compared to the threat previously.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sharm El Sheikh for £400 5* all inclusive – bargain or risky?’ is closed to new replies.