Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Shadow rear mech or not ?
  • knottie8
    Free Member

Mmmmm I need a new rear mech ,should I go for a shadow type or stick to the earlier type and why ?

Hairychested
    Free Member

The one you have in the spares box or can get cheaply.

knottie8
    Free Member

CRC have both in stock so either are just a click away.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

shadow are a faff.

wouldnt get one again and mine cracked on the main body. Wheel not as easy to get in and out on my frame.

A solution to a problem that doesnt exist

Hairychested
    Free Member

I still use an ancient XTR 9-sp. Shadow my scrotum 😉

alpin
    Free Member

the mechanics at work don’t seem to like the new shadow mechs. they say they are flimsier, break more easily and are a pain to set up.

i think they are a solution to problem that doesn’t occur all to often with a standard mech.

Freester

Not.

HTH

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The only time the Shadows are a pain to set up is when the nubbin that sits against the dropout is incorrectly positioned; otherwise they’re no different to the traditional design. I did initially miss the barrel adjuster on the derailleur when doing set-ups in the stand, but it’s only a small change in habit to have to use the shifter adjuster.

coatesy
    Free Member

Key factor to setting up a shadow is B-tension setting, makes far more difference than on a normal mech. That said, I still chose a normal type for mine as they seem to be a tad stronger, and it’s usually the cage not the body that gets caught on things anyway.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Knottie – I am sure the other guys on this thread know what they are talking about but I got one when I bust my last mech because it was on offer.

It fitted
    It works
    It hasn’t broke

What is the difference? None as far as I can see but the Shadow was cheaper when I bought it.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Barge pole etc, Knottie.
    I’ve seen too many snap instead of the mech hanger.

knottie8
    Free Member

If only my legs could pedal my single speed up big hills ! I would be buying a mech thats for sure. I think I’ll be getting a none shadow.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I like Shadow. It does away with enough of the last loop of cable outer to make a difference in long term set up – less sensitive to the ingress of sh!te. That and stronger spring than the standard mech keeps ’em working better for longer.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I believe the top pivot wears quicker because it is narrower. I always use the standard sort on my bikes.

shredder
    Free Member

Having just snapped the bottom carbon derailleur cage of my XTR M971 shadow on todays ride I would say not. Lightest of glances on a wooden step down.

Now what glue for carbon ? 😕

knottie8
    Free Member

shredder , which plate ? the outer ?

shredder
    Free Member

knottie yes the outer looks like this now

The mech still works as its left a sort of thin backing but I wonder if the rigidity is now compromised. Considering epxoy/aralditing it back on ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve got both variants of M770 (XT) rear mechs on my bikes, and I can honestly say I prefer the shadow. Mainly because it has a stronger spring on it which stops the chain slapping about. No noticeable difference in terms of shifting quality. Plus the shadow is a lot easier to get all the crud out of than a std mech.

bigyinn
    Free Member

shredder, how exactly is shadow part relevant to the damage you incurred?
    If I was you I’d be moaning about CF, not the rear mech layout!
    Bit of glue and that’ll be fine!

roblane65
    Free Member

slap some glue on it and well your’e at it clean them jockey wheels. 😆

shredder
    Free Member

bigyinn because in mind if id stuck with std XTR mech and not lusted after the one I have it may have survived the scrape. So im blaming the fact it’s a shadow.

Thanks rob will get them cleaned up and then bodge glue it 😀

andytherocketeer

It fitted
    It works
    It hasn’t broke

is my experience of XT Shadow Mech.

People complain about lack of barrel adjuster, but after initial setup, you’ll only adjust the thing by 1/8 or 1/4 turn anyway. So long as you do it right in the 1st place. No need for barrel adjusters at both ends.

I’ll choose Shadow Mech next time too.

druidh
    Free Member

I have both and they are equally simple to set up. I just can’t see any down-side to the Shadow version.

aracer
    Free Member

I did initially miss the barrel adjuster on the derailleur when doing set-ups in the stand, but it’s only a small change in habit to have to use the shifter adjuster.

Though that’s not an exclusive feature of shadow mechs – my M970 standard type doesn’t have one either, and is none the worse for it IMHO – why do you need one when you have an adjuster at the shifter?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Though that’s not an exclusive feature of shadow mechs – my M970 standard type doesn’t have one either, and is none the worse for it IMHO – why do you need one when you have an adjuster at the shifter?

You don’t. You seem to have misunderstood the point I was making, so I’ll put it a different way:

After years of tuning derailleurs – with the bike in a stand, as is the normal place in a workshop – by making adjustments of the derailleur barrel, I had to adjust my technique to use the shifter barrel, as I would do if making adjustments when riding (when it’s a bit tricky, and a bit pointless, to reach back and use the derailleur barrel*).

It’s not a complaint or a criticism, it’s just an observation of a minor point.

*sarcasm

Gary_C

Has anyone had the tension ‘let go’ (for want of a better description), in their shadow mech?

By that, I mean the spring tension that pulls the jockey cage back & therefore tensions the chain.

I had it happen to me on mid ride a couple of months ago, fitted my spare that I carry & once home stripped the offending mech down & repaired it. It’s something that’s never happened to me when using a ‘standard’ mech.

druidh
    Free Member

You carry a spare rear mech?

Gary_C

You carry a spare rear mech?

Yep. Did a ride couple of years ago, was halfway round a 30 miler on my f/s & ripped my mech off, so had to bodge a singlespeed which wasn’t that successful, did more ‘scootering’ & freewheeling than owt….sack that!! Carried a spare ever since! Converted my hardtail to s/s & thought I may as well find a use for the ‘redundant’ mech.

🙂

aracer
    Free Member

You seem to have misunderstood the point I was making

Sorry – I got your point, but felt the need to be picky and point out it wasn’t specifically a shadow issue, and then to elaborate far more than neccesary!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with standard XT mech. I have had shadow and just don’t get it. They look and feel like they cost less to make, which I always think is a bad thing. I will keep buying second hand mint XT mechs from bike tarts who upgrade to carbon fiber XTR and shadow rear mechs, to save a few grams of weight. Please keep buying shadows it means more used standard XT ones on ebay!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Shadow rear mech or not ?’ is closed to new replies.