• This topic has 80 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by K.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Seven hundred lumen Joystick
  • trout
    Free Member

Small improvement on the classic joystick

not yet got it back together totally but have got it working nicely

its too foul to venture out into the woods so my back garden will have to do .

standard Joystick fresh off the charger

MXLed joystick with old battery

OK so its not a fair fight as the xmled joystick will eat the battery in 1 hour on max so I have a bit of testing to do to find the sweet spot or lumens versus runtime .

bigjim

holy moly, having killed my joystick driver I would love a bash at this. watching this space! Would love to buy the parts off you if poss. I’m guessing the bugger must be the hole in the original driver board for the charge port? oh and the switch?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Joystick @ 700lumen + piggyback = win!

trout
    Free Member

Bigjim

the switch I have not yet worked out the solution

Driver goes in the other end now got some finetuning to do but its looking OK at the moment.

P20

Loving your work troutie. I’ll have to sort out sending you my Hopes

stevious

That is quite frankly ridiculous.

Want.

Bez

Seeing as I have a Joystick and triple cell piggyback, I await pricification of this with interest 🙂

bigjim

I’m not sure if piggyback would be usable, as I can’t use them on my old Joystick version, which might mean it is something to do with the driver board that was added in later versions, so might not be there on the lflex driver if thats what troutie is using. Just hypothethithing though.

Bez

Mine’s an ’08 version (pre-Smart Port), works ok on that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Want. Now.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Want. Now.

+1

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Troutie, please stop.

Loving my new Darkness Dominator.

My Joystick is fine. At least thought it was!

Mines maybe 3 years old, pre smart port I think.

Watching with interest and wallet in a safe place.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Watching with interest and wallet in a safe place.

Hand?

singlespeedstu

Mmmm.
    My Mk1 Joystick could do with this upgrade.
    Any rough idea on cost?

theupsetter
    Free Member

smart man!

bigjim

Mine’s an ’08 version (pre-Smart Port), works ok on that.

Hmm interesting, but my god how much for an 18650 in a box?! I reckon a DIY bodge would be simples…

Crell
    Free Member

Brilliant!

amsterdan
    Free Member

nice cant wait to see what you can do with a maxx d 😆

jedi

i’m starting to develop a light fetish…………………….

valleydaddy
    Free Member

wow I have a Mk1 Joysick that would love a makeover 😀

details please Troutie if and when you work it out 🙂

smudge
    Free Member

Waits for another early morning email asking for another battery to have a play with! 😆

trout
    Free Member

Yes please smudge send me some singles in as high a capacity as you can the one inside is a 2350 mah

here are the choices as I see them

max 2 amps setting lumens 686 runtime 1.5 hours
    medium 1 amp lumens 392 rumtime 2.5 hours
    low .5 amp lumens 207 runtime 5 hours

or
    max 1.5 amps lumens 530 runtime 1.75 hours
    medium .75 amp lumens 300 runtime 3 hours
    low .35 amp lumens 150 runtime 6 hours

or
    max 1 amp lumens 390 runtime 2.6 hours
    medium .5 amp lumens 207 runtime 5 hours
    low .25 amp lumens 150 runtime 10 hours

got it thermal sensing so dims if too warm 50c at the moment

also flashes the light 5 times when half depleted

still looking at the switch want a small membrane mom switch to glue in the cap .

flashes
    Free Member

Love it………..nice things Joysticks. I used to use one as a helmet light, until I borrowed the Spidereyes……………

Chris…………charger (subtle eh?)

I vote middle setting………

camerone
    Free Member

jeepers, is that my Joystick Trout?? please say yes! those pictures are crazy.
    i vote for the highest setting, i’ll use it on high for descents, and only get to nip out for 1.5 hour local rides in dark anyway!
    look forward to battery change news!
    great work, will be interested to learn your thoughts on piggy back battery use, i have a single cell already

trout
    Free Member

Camerone no its mine now ( possession ) 👿

I have sorted the switching 😀

all progress now stopped waiting to see if Smudge can supply some single protected cells so reached a stalemate with it

its a little bugger to wire up my fat hands are not suited to keyhole surgery .

I have asked Taskled about the piggyback and waiting for an answer.
    but think it will work OK .

Paul I have sent a charger out last week but if it doesnot materialise
    soon will have to send another 😥

camerone
    Free Member

Ha Ha – I know where you live 😈
    lets see how the battery pans out, the one in there is shot.
    Cheers for your efforts so far

flashes
    Free Member

Chris if you sent it to Paul, that’s where it’s all going wrong. I’m Pete…………..I’ll keep an eye out for it and let you know when it arrives…

trout
    Free Member

Same first letter 😕

OK will send another one wont be able to get to the PO today so will have to be fri

Clong
    Free Member

Is this an upgrade service that you can offer for other joysticks? If so, id be interested, as im sure many others would be.

Del

have to say you do great work Trout, but with this one, beyond ‘because i can’, why?
    you can pick up an xml torch from the bastids that have similar output, including 2 cells and a charger for 40 quid or less. they slot straight into a joystick mount if you want, and you can change the cell out half way through a ride if you get short on runtime.
    not having a go, but it just seems like a lot of effort really, for not much gain?

shaxi
    Free Member

not having a go, but it just seems like a lot of effort really, for not much gain?

sometimes even you work hard ,you won’t get a good ending ! 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Well that was a thread killer

flashes
    Free Member

I have a Joystick Chris and would be happy to blind squirrels with that…………mmmmmmmmmm, sorry was imagining Spidereyes on hat, adapted stick on bars. How my mate’s would laugh. Weird thing is when I had your loaned Cutie and Spidereyes I kept being asked to lead rides….can’t think why…..

camerone
    Free Member

Trout – I have no interest in XML torches, keep bashing away!

RustyMac

I’d rather have a trout modified exposure than one of the cheap Chinese jobs, pretty much for the same reason I just bought an exposure over one of them. Build quality is better on the exposures, I would be constantly worried about the charging of the cells on the other types especially with the look of the chargers you get with them. A somewhat greater degree of thought will have gone into the optics/reflectors in these lights providing a more trail friendly and usable light for biking.
    Keep up the good work trout.

Del

fair enough. be a boring world if we all thought the same. i’m very pleased with my led converted lumicycle hid unit, used in conjunction with my cheapy chinese torch on my lid. 😀
    each to their own.
    sorry if i killed your thread trout. really do admire your willingness to explore, ask questions, and develop.

yetialex
    Free Member

max 2 amps setting lumens 686 runtime 1.5 hours
    medium 1 amp lumens 392 rumtime 2.5 hours
    low .5 amp lumens 207 runtime 5 hours

Would certainly be interested in something along these lines, hope you carry on with the good work.

trout
    Free Member

Cheers Del
    you do have some valid points there .

but consider the Joystick owner whose lamp is a bit tired this battery replacement and led driver swop brings it upto date and like a new un
    for the price of a cheap chinese light instead of it going in the landfill and I get a few beer tokens for the effort
    same with the hope led swops

Here is a laff for you Pete (flashes got the name right this time )

its a hybrid spidereyes

the other protos are at the machineshop so should be something coming after xmas

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I have a mk1 joystick & love it, for a while I was wondering about getting a diablo but Troutie did the upgrade on my hope visions so right now I use those on my helmet, I do have a hankering to update the joystick though, it is so convenient and no extra battery packs etc so am watching this thread with interest & definately plan on getting the joystick upgraded

Buzzard
    Free Member

Ive also got a Mk1 Joystick and this upgrade is EXACTLY what Ive been waiting for. keep bashing away Troutie and let us know

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Seven hundred lumen Joystick’ is closed to new replies.