• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Sending stuff you've sold through the work post system – theft or ok?
  • hora
    Free Member

Unless of course you own the company.

DezB
    Free Member

Depends on the company's policy.

wwaswas

depends on the company.

I always took the view – 'If I asked would they say no?'

And, if you're afraid to ask then the answer is you probably shouldn't do it…

tron
    Free Member

Stupid risk to take in my book. Could easily be a sackable offence.

Pook

As someone who owns the company, I'd say no. But I'd want some special favours from you for being nice

LeeW

I have in the past but only because I can't get to the PO, I always offer to pay and pretty much I always get told to forget about it.

It does cost me in midget gems though.

Drac

Fraud and theft.

theotherjonv

put it this way. If instead of a franking machine there was just a pile of stamps, would you consider it permissable to tear a few off every now and then and save them up for your christmas cards? They can soon add up.

whytetrash

Just ask nicely…perk of being stuck in an office I reckon!

hels
    Free Member

Sackable offence and the same as stealing. What if everybody did it ?

Most companies will have a policy about this kind of thing somewhere, probably called something arcane but essentially about not using their resources to subsidise your second job.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Just ask and if they say yes then do it, or offer to pay towards cost or press the fact that it's a one off- assuming it is.

Using the frankig machine to churn out postage for loads of parcels on a daily basis is theft.

FuzzyWuzzy

We just put the equivalent in petty cash if we use the franking machine for personal post

theflatboy
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Fraud and theft.

only fraud.

Drac

Why just fraud? You'll be taking something from them without consent.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Our company is perfectly happy to send and receive personal mail and parcels. But if you send, you pay postage into the petty cash.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I wouldn't do it myself – even if I was the company owner.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Why just fraud? You'll be taking something from them without consent.

sorry to be picky, but i'm revising for my law exams so this is good practice! it's fraud through abuse of position – s4 of the Fraud Act 2006 – you're creating a position of gain for yourself and loss for another.

it's not theft because theft requires you to actually take control of something and appropriate it from another. i suppose if you were using stamps it would be theft, not fraud. if using a franking machine or giving it to someone else to post that would be fraud as above.

Drac

Have they not also incured a loss even using frankin so would be essentially the same?

brooess
    Free Member

I post myself so I can get it recorded in case of any dispute with the buyer. If I sent it via work I guess I wouldn't get that proof of postage

wwaswas

"I post myself"

big box?

kevonakona
    Free Member

I'd assumed sit eto site internal mail, in which case OK but not to be overly abused. If using it as a site based post office to send stuff outside then no. Doesn't seem sensible. Are you using the company paper, envelopes etc? If so the cost will build up rapidly if everyone did the same.

Harry_the_Spider

Do it and pay for it.

tracknicko
    Free Member

used to do it loads, but pay work for it. in petty cash. easy. was like having a local branch of the PO.

good times. better than cueing with the crack heads and scummers!

Talkemada
    Free Member

I regularly steal stuff from the postie's little cart, and nick all the giros then spend the money on white cider and heroin.

It's ok though, because I'm encouraging the dole-scrounging wasters to sort themselves out and get jobs.

uplink
    Free Member

Have they not also incured a loss even using frankin so would be essentially the same?

it'd be one or the other though, rather than both
    like you wouldn't get done for murder & manslaughter for the same case

Woody
    Free Member

With Hora's track record, if he used his Company's postal system it would take the fraud squad weeks to sort out and probably send his employer into liquidation 😆

derek_starship
    Free Member

By all means send it from work but top up the petty cash with the due amount.

Drac

Makes a bit more sense uplink.

odannyboy
    Free Member

i suppose all you goody goody's dont steal pens either, or print off trail maps on company paper!
    get a life ffs!

Drac

No I don't, in fact I use my own pens for work and never use work paper for my own use. Thing is I look after the stores and stock levels and would be easy for me to take a few things, but it's dishonesty and it's one thing I can't stand.

If 'getting a life' means stealing and committing fraud I'll continue as I am thanks.

tron
    Free Member

i suppose all you goody goody's dont steal pens either, or print off trail maps on company paper!
    get a life ffs!

Not a case of being a goody goody, more one of not exposing oneself to massive risk for a small gain.

hora
    Free Member

get a life ffs!

100% agree however if management have a dilemma due to poor sales and need to make cuts cheapily or you have a manager who doesn't like you it means they have an easy way out in getting rid of you..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Sending stuff you've sold through the work post system – theft or ok?’ is closed to new replies.