Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Selling up and going walkabout
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is tempting. Worked out the other day that if t’missus and I sell up we would have enough money to last until we were well into our 70s (20+ years) assuming a non to extravagant lifestyle.

In that time we could walk around the world – and more. its a tempting thought.

It would mean coming back to the UK to retire with pretty small pensions. Would you do it?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

You might get hit by a bus tomorrow. Go for it

greenboy
    Free Member

If you had five years left but didn’t know you’d wished you had!

Be brave and just go!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nonk
    Free Member

if i had made the decision not to have kids like you have then yes i would.
    you may well have mini settling down periods within that to earn a bit extra cash in a place you like.
    f@@k it TJ what’s the worst that could happen?

binners

In that case – sling yer bloody ‘ook! The pair of yerz!!! Go for it uncle jezza!!

😉

maccruiskeen

A guy I used to work with – his dad did just that. Sold everything bar a few boxes of personal stuff, put those boxes in someones garage and started walking from Manchester. He’d reached mexico and was supplementing his savings with occasional bar work and an American Express card that he’d ‘found’.

binners

f@@k it TJ what’s the worst that could happen?

Scottish independence while he’s away? They close the borders and refuse to let him back in?

alexxx
    Free Member

Hell yes no doubts- I’ve run away to the alps at 24 and believe this is only the start of my none settled adventures

LHS
    Free Member

Depends on what you are assuming your quality of life would be for the next 20 years – thats a long time to be “living it rough”.

alfabus
    Free Member

ride round the world?

if you spend long enough in the ‘cheap bits’ of the globe, you could make your money go even further.

Dave

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Now’s as good a time as any. You can always do some work somewhere along the way if you need to.

May as well enjoy life while you can 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats the issue LHS – 50 now and creaking

sofatester
    Free Member

If you have the cash then just do it. I deal with old folk every day who worked there whole lives and are now having the state take it from them second time round. Reading your previous posts I think you’ve worked in similar area, so shouldn’t need any encouragement.

One day your knees wont work so start packing!

bruneep

better that than some care home milking your savings dry.

uwe-r
    Free Member

How many years do you think you would want wandering the earth. I quite fancy coming home after a two week holiday.

It’s a great idea but I would want some sort of plan B lined up if you have had enough. I did a lot of travelling when i was younger and i know it gets tiring as does living on a budget.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Been travelling for long periods 3 times in the past. Certainly would enjoy a year or two – but 20? I am particularly pissed of today tho – t’missus contract is up in a year and unlikely to be renewed. Very little in the way of decent jobs in my or her trade going with the cuts. No cash but lots of equity in property

LHS
    Free Member

I personally would think of something in-beween if you can – i.e maybe a 5-10 year walk-about with an investment to come back to. Look at the feasibility of keeping on a property and renting it for that time frame if your finances will allow.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you go it will have been a life well lived.

You can always stop and work as has been said, who knows where you’ll end up.

wwaswas

how would your dispute re: the building maintenance affect your ability to sell?

Would you make enough money from letting it to live off?

uwe-r
    Free Member

End of the year is just in time for ski season. Get your house rented and of you go.

After 6 months of living with unhygienic 18 year old degenerates you will know if you have the stomach for it.

wooobob

Give it a whirl. If you’ve got a wodge and decide to come back after a couple of months/years, it’ll just be a slightly smaller wodge. Why not take six months, see how you feel after that, then sell up if you’re sure?

ourmaninthenorth

Sell. Go. Be interested and interesting.

At 50 you’ve worked long enough to have developed that equity in your house, but are young enough to get real value out of an adventure.

Did I say go? Well, you should. Now. Go..!

BikePawl
    Free Member

Go for it, you’ve nothing to lose?
    I’d double check your figures in the cold light of day though.
    From what you were saying I’d think 10k a year for two people was a little on the low side, you might want to think about budgeting for double that. Yes sure when walking you can live cheaper but if I remember from a thread on here, staying anywhere a bit more civilised could be more expensive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I would you have the freedom ,your health and the opportunity

In life you regret the things you did not do more than the things you do .

Go for it life is for living and you cant take it with you and you have no kids to leave it to so whats stopping you

This does not apply if you were planning on leaving it all to me in which case you sefish ****

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

how would your dispute re: the building maintenance affect your ability to sell?

It would make it harder

Would you make enough money from letting it to live off?

could be done – a mix of remortgage and rentals would mean enough money to go

Bikepawl – sums would have to convince Julie 🙂

lowey

Do you have kids to tie you back or are they grown up ?

Thats the only thing that would keep me back in your situation.

Just look at the country / economy around you… utter desperation. Given how you described it I’d be gone like a shot if there were no family ties.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No kids

Its the prospect of coming back to the UK well into my 60s / 70s with nowt bar a small pension. Already once spent everything I had travelling and started from nowt again in my 30s. It was tough.

Taking a multiyear break now and returning to the world of work in a few years is not really going to be possible – who would employ us?

tang
    Free Member

If you can do it I’d say now is the time. Seriously think about what you can offer on the way as there is plenty of projects around the world that need help. This can break up things a bit and lead you in directions perhaps unknown.

sofaking
    Free Member

can you not rent your house(presuming you have one) out so you have something to come back to ?

vinnyeh

Don’t sell, remortgage interest only, draw down what cash you can and let out, keeping the cash in the bank- that way if after 6 months/a year etc, you can get yourself back to a similar position as today without losing too much.

It’s quite surprising (or not) how many people there are in the 50+ age group on ‘gap years’. I suspect the younger generation won’t, in general, have that as an option though.

piha
    Free Member

Great idea but I would be tempted to do a one year taster trip first.

Rent your current home out for a year so you have something to come back to after the trip, so long as the rent would cover bills etc and plan a years trip somewhere interesting. If that works then have a look at buying somewhere new and small (easier to rent out and maintain)to come back to if a bigger trip doesn’t work out. Always have a back up plan.

kudos100
    Free Member

Sorry am I missing something here. You have enough money to travel the world for 20 years and come back to a small pension?

What the **** are you waiting for? Pack your bags!!

I have an acquaintance who has spent the last year sailing round the world on a yacht. Every time I read his blog it make me wonder what the hell I am doing in this country. If I had the money I would be off on an adventure.

Many people get the chance to take 6 months or a year out, but to spend many years traveling the globe is something few will ever get the chance to do.

http://www.svlibertalia.com/

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Lifes for living as someone said you could get hit by a bus next week!
    If it doesn’t work out you can come back – better to regret things you’ve done than not done and all that!

hopefiendboy

Ah, why not just do a year walkabout and see how you get on? Rent house out, rent the tandem out (lol) and go somewhere cool. If you are worried about CV stuff, why not schedule in doing some MSF or other voluntary stuff when you are away- yes, you will be tied to one place for a month or two, but any trip needs a degree of planning.

You are right to be a little concerned about what it would be like if you just bunked off and sold everything- poverty with increasing age would not be a joke, especially if all you get is a 5th floor council flat in the banana flats in Leith! I suspect you know this, as as you say your 30’s involved re-building that aspect from a previous trip. Doing the same when you are 70? Good luck!

Dont rush in, take a sabbatical, be thankful that this is even an option! Good luck.

Stoner
    Free Member

id go and not worry about coming back.

meet your maker in 20yrs time off the coast Of Tanzania in a shark rodeo extravaganza. better than crawling back to blighty poor and decrepit to spend your remaining urine sodden days being tended to by a geriatric nurse like TJ.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I missed an opportunity 20 years ago that still rankles. Invited onto a greenpeace ship to go annoying ruskies in the arctic – they ended up getting arrested in Murmansk.

I had just accepted a promoted post tho and didn’t take the chance.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you have lots of equity in your house, why not downsize, take the equity and have lots of nice holidays and go part time?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Already doing that 🙂 and there is nowhere nice to live in Edinburgh for less really

joolsburger
    Free Member

Houseboat?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Don’t live in Edinburgh?

If I had a choice between

a) living somewhere expensive and working and retiring on a good pension
    b) selling expensive place and travelling for 20 years
    c) selling expensive place, buy cheaper place travel on the difference for a long time but not 20 years, have somewhere to live when retired

I’d choose option C even if it meant living somewhere else

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Selling up and going walkabout’ is closed to new replies.