Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Self service tills!!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Why do people who have no idea what they’re doing use these things??? Go and get in a normal queue you hooligan!!

kinda666
    Free Member

I always get the broken one…. 👿

Kuco

Why is it you always get the one item that won’t scan and you have to wait for an assistant?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tracknicko
    Free Member

saw an (actually quite tragic) full blown skag head use one in the city centre the other day.

was mindblowing to watch the mix of opiates and modern technology at work.

naturally it did not go smoothly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i HATE self service !

project
    Free Member

By using one youre doing a real person out of a real job,thus increasing unemployment, and pandering to a low wage ecconomy as the pool of jobs are reduced.

Also when things dont scan properley and the red light comes on, does everyone as if programed, by the light decide to tut tut tuting, stamp theuir eet, or start panting etc.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

It’s true they’re job-stealing and remove more social interaction…

But being an impatient bastard, I love ’em!

Only ones I’ve had problems with were at Morrison’s.

darrell
    Free Member

i refuse to use them and love to argue with the stoopid shop assistants who stand around telling people to use them

muppets

druidh
    Free Member

project – Member
    By using one youre doing a real person out of a real job,thus increasing unemployment, and pandering to a low wage ecconomy as the pool of jobs are reduced.

Did you manage to type that in yourself or do you employ a secretary to do it for you?

footflaps

I refuse to use them – they never work properly with my courier bag…

timc
    Free Member

nearly as annoying as everyone in london not carrying cash

stumpyjon

Hardly self service are they, the number of authorisations, tag removals and general resets they need when they get in a tizzy because there’s a foreign item in the bagging area (usually my 3 year old leaning on it) makes them a pretty grim expereince.

project
    Free Member

project – Member

Did you manage to type that in yourself or do you employ a secretary to do it for you?

I dictated it to my typist, who then typed it out, before passing the words to my data input clerk, who then ,passed it to the authorisation manager after i had checked it.

kayak23

I like to use them. It cuts down on unnecessary social interaction and the uncomfortable feeling of being judged upon your grocery purchases…
    🙂

stuarty
    Free Member

Were lucky there only in diy shop over here.
    Hate the **** things
    Ten empty tills and ten supervisors supervising self serve tills
    Pure p1sh

They will be asking you to fit your own tyres at the garage next……
    Plus doent forget the dudes watching the overhead cameras (just in case you forget to scan something)
    erm hows that cost effective

GrahamS

“Self service”?

You mean the “Buy One, Get One Free” tills? 😉

scaredypants

the uncomfortable feeling of being judged upon your grocery purchases…

You’ve not seen the digital displays above the tills ?
    “early heart attack on till 3” etc

(they’re only good for small quantities – try a trolley full and you just gat a massive pile-up of stuff at the far end, or you have to stop part way through and bag up some stuff before restarting)

I find them confusing.
    I’m sure I accidentally scanned a £1.20 500g pot of yoghurt, then placed a 25p 500g bag of pasta on the scales once.

Or was it the other way round ?

singletrackmind

and why do they shout at you
    ‘PLEASE PLACE THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA ‘
    stfu

Cougar

I like them and would use them in preference, but for a couple of issues.

First, as someone else said, there’s little point in using them as an ‘express’ checkout when you’ve got to wait for some PFY to come and remove tags and approve purchases every ten seconds.

Second, they’re the second most patronising thing in the store after the voice on the moving walkway. Do this, do that, unexpected item in bagging area, scan Clubcard, wah wah wah. I can read, thanks, especially as everything’s printed in a foot-high font; can I have a Mute button please?

muddyground
    Free Member

Yeah, they don’t really save shopper time but shop costs. Same as the self-service cheque deposit at the bank. Last time I did one three people were served in the queue during the time it took me to wait, fill the form in and deposit it. Hence it was the last time I’ll do that.

MoreCashThanDash

Hate the things.

Had a bust up with the new manager at the Tesco Express in the village not long after they came in.

“Would you like to use the self service till sir?”

“No thanks, I don’t like to use them”

“It would be quicker, sir”

“It might be, but I prefer to use a normal till and keep your staff in a job”

“The self service tills are here to help the customer when our other tills are busy.”

“I really don’t want to use them”

“But sir….”

“Either I use the normal till or I put my basket of shopping down here and I walk out and buy it elsewhere.”

“Ah, OK, sir”

Cue applause from the old dear behind me in the cue.

Said manager doesn’t seem to be around much now.

Houns

Love them, great invention

Markie
    Free Member

Smash the looms!

dobo
    Free Member

yea they are pretty useful but one thing that just really pisses me off is the bags!! it takes me 20 secs to scan and pay for my shopping and then 2 minutes to untangle and separate the bags!!!

is it just me that scans first and then bags 2nd?

also the staff, i mean theres always one hanging round just in case of a bag incident, but how many times have i had to cough shout wave as they stare into oblivion not noticing my big red flashing light 🙂

deluded
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zhm4YDpGao8[/video]

brakes
    Free Member

the voice of the ones in Sainsburys is the woman who does the narration on Masterchef.
    that’s why I always leave Sainsurys with a semi.
    nnnnnggggggg, boom goes the dynamite.

rockhopper70

my local B&Q has them and it allows round .356 seconds from the bip of the scan to telling you (in a very stern voice) to put the item in the weighing area….
    its very speedy and scary at the same time.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

At least the self service tills don’t ask if you need a hand with your packing or do you want saving stamps 👿 YET!

chakaping
    Free Member

Never used one and never will. tesco make enough money already and i would hate to do any of the nice ladies wjo work there out of a job.

pitduck
    Free Member

Never used one and never will. tesco make enough money already +1

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you have one sandwich a newspaper a drink and only have 5 mins for lunch then great, but anything more than one carrier bag full is a ball ache! Cue “please return the item to the bagging area” to then be repeated 20 times whilst as above you look directly at the “helper” who gazes into space!!

MrGreedy

Quite often use them when I’m in a hurry, but I invariably forget that there’s booze in my basket and have to wait for the PFY to come over and approve me, thus wiping out any time saving/interaction avoidance benefits.

Kuco

At least the self service tills don’t ask if you need a hand with your packing

I can understand this if your old, disabled or have a baby with you but like to day in Morrisons I brought two items and the woman asked if I need help packing, I declined the help and said no need to bother with a bag she just smiled and put the two items into a bag 😐

thegreatape
    Free Member

So am I the only one who turns the volume right down on them when I start?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

“Unidentified object in bagging area……….”
    Arrrgggh!

kinda666
    Free Member

I had a small trolley half full of stuff today, decided to use self service, forgot my bags so scanned a couple of “bags for life”, scanned the two bags which was ok till i put my shopping in!! Every item i put in the bags kept telling me unexplained item in bagging area, which carried on till i started using the free bags!! Grrrrr

try buying 2 lemons at Asda, apparently this exedes the maximum amount you can buy

AdamW
    Free Member

“Self service”?

You mean the “Buy One, Get One Free” tills?

You are Antony Worral Thompson and I claim my £5!

They are a pain though. I go to t’supermarket early on Saturday (7:30) and a few times I have had to scan the lot myself as there are no tills open. I now demand staff or I will leave.

TiRed

Only thing they are good for is stocking up on Tesco generic paracetamol and ibuprofen. Of course you need to pay cash and multiple times. 😈

project
    Free Member

Think i will drop a bag of pennies and 5ps in the slot and see what happens next time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Self service tills!!!’ is closed to new replies.