Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Seeing navy ships
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Where can we see modern navy ships? Seem to remember you can see this stuff in Portsmouth maybe? I want to take my FiL to see a battleship or something, the newer the better.

m1kea
    Free Member

Good luck with finding a British battleship as I believe our last one was scrapped in 1960.

With the current state of the Andrew I doubt there’s much to see at Portsmouth though I’m sure the Victory must be worth a visit?

mefty
    Free Member

I imagine there might be a Navy Review next year to coincide with the diamond jubilee at Spithead but the last one for the Golden Jubilee was cancelled for cost reasons.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Faslane. Would give you a good excuse to go biking in the highlands too.

uplink
    Free Member

The enormous USS Enterprise carrier was parked up in Palma Majorca last week

Sonor
    Free Member

There may be one or two of the latest Type 45 destroyers moored up down at Portsmouth.

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright, battleship in the layman’s sense of the word, meaning a ship with some guns on it 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was going to say Plymouth Navy Days, but it appears there aren’t any this year. http://www.justplymouth.co.uk/events/Navy-Days.php

anjs
    Free Member

There used to be boat trips around portsmouth harbour from the dockyard. Also HMS Belfast in London

vertigo
    Free Member

glasgow. always something floating around the shipyard(s)

as mentioned before you could then hop up to faslane/hmnb clyde where you are likely to see submarines too

nedrapier

do you mean to walk round or look at from a wee distance away?

souldrummer
    Free Member

Now is not the time to see Victory as she is undergoing a major renovaton at the moment. Her top masts have been taken off, which if a recall from the media, hasn’t happened since World War 2.

As others have said the new destroyers are about, but they have to be the ugliest warships we have ever produced (IMHO).

Ambrose

Plymouth. I’ve seen a few bad boys floating in and out of the sound.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Portsmouth dockyard has some of the last generation vessels in before sale/scrap (inc Ark Royal) and some of the new 45’s viewable from the quayside at the mo, would prob need to go on boat tour to see Ark properly. Theres also some older 42’s in Portsmouth out on rotten row but again its a boat trip job to see them and they are in bad nick awaiting scrap. Endurance is also in at the mo but is sadly knackered and awaiting sale one suspects. Theres some neat little patrol boats sat at the back of the basin by BAE as well which i think are for a carribean nation and look complete.

Jubilee should be good for ships although we’re not going to have much left by then sadly.

flatfish
    Free Member

There’s a cold war era sub in Portsmouth harbour which is worth a visit.

project
    Free Member

There where a few parked up in Birkenhead docks, and a few visit liverpool every so often

nedrapier

Devonport dockyard near Plymouth, take the chain ferry over the hamoaze to see a bit more.

have a look on Google earth, BIG site!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Seeing navy ships’ is closed to new replies.