Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Second Hand bikes just aren't that expensive!
  • Antonyfw
    Free Member

I know different scenarios require different prices, Generally speaking i think its safe to say that the price you can sell it on at depreciates at different rates and those rates can be any number of things(and are worth logging just like to do a car, receipts and all) as soon as you use it on your bike, and then over time continues to fall in potential sale price until you hit a 'plateau' and from then on the integrity of the part as far as the buyer is concerned is regulated by the user with maintenance and what not.

My point is that although you may have maintained your bike and spent money with much needed pre-service sale maintenence, i think most peoples prices are a little on the adventurous side when it comes to full build sales. Ultimately a very used bike that cost £1000 to build won't cost £750 3 years later. The warranty will have gone, the bike has been used and cleaned any number of times. Yes money has been spent on it, yes it's back up to working order but come on……..Are you serious?

People use these sites to get a bargin. Lets make it happen.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You know what? I'm with you who wants my nearly new 456, go on 99p and its yours, I'm serious*

*f/** rite off!

It's worth whatever people want to pay for it and what the seller's prepared to accept. If those two don't match then theres no deal. Your one of those people off ebay with a sob story about your cat dying and your girlfriend leaving you therefore I really should sell you my stuff and throw in a load of extras for 10% of what its realisticly going to go for, aren't you?

highclimber
    Free Member

its up to the vendor to chose the price then its up to the buyer to make an offer and after haggling a FAIR price is agreed. An item is only worth how much someone is willing to pay for it and if someone wants to pay £750 for a second-hand 3 yr-old bike then thats up to them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Judging by your posting history you seem agreeved that no one is willing to sell you a bike thats advertised at £900-£1000 for the £400-£500 you posted the wtd add for? Set your sights lower and maybe try posting on adds for £400-£500 bikes if thats what you can afford?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'm not reading all that.

poppa
    Free Member

I think we should all argue about this at great length.

clubber
    Free Member

No we shouldn't… 😉

Drac

People use these sites to get a bargin. Lets make it happen.

And many do I know I have.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Generally speaking i think its safe to say that the price you can sell it on at depreciates at different rates and those rates can be any number of things(and are worth logging just like to do a car, receipts and all) as soon as you use it on your bike, and then over time continues to fall in potential sale price until you hit a 'plateau' and from then on the integrity of the part as far as the buyer is concerned is regulated by the user with maintenance and what not.

This is a single sentence, containing no less than 93 words. I do not understand what it means.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"Second Hand bikes just aren't that expensive!"

I think you'll just have to accept that actually, they are.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

This is a single sentence, containing no less than 93 words. I do not understand what it means.

Thank **** I didn't read it.

vinnyeh

BD, shouldn't you be used to deciphering garbage like this?

It sounds suspiciously like a verbose version of hora's 'divide by two as soon as it's out of the shop' rule.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL it's a market, stop whining.

GEDA
    Free Member

I got a Prophet MX full bike for £500 second hand. Nah Nah na Nah na.

tinsy
    Free Member

I read it… Not sure I will sleep tonight.

Jamie
    Free Member

I tried reading it….I will sell my bike to the OP for a quid if I never have to read it again.

soobalias
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

Posted 9 minutes ago # Report-Post

im not reading any of that

cookeaa

I’m of the opinion that if the seller wants more than I’m willing to offer then that’s their prerogative, I could be under valuing just as much as they could be over valuing…
    If they want too much it simply won’t sell, basic market forces innit, everything has a value to someone, if a 3 year old bike ain’t worth £750 to you it may be to someone else…

I can’t really see your point OP… Are you basically asking for charity?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

SOOBalias – Member

KINGTUT – Member

Posted 9 minutes ago # Report-Post

im not reading any of that

I'm not reading any of that.

Ahem..

Antonyfw
    Free Member

Wanted to see other people view, Mission successful. Thanks.

No thanks for all the aggressive posts.

Jahwomble – ok, done.

tails
    Free Member

Hmmmmm!!! It's awkward when I buy I think the item should be cheap cheap cheap, whereas when I sell I start with a high price as you can only be haggled down.

If you don't think it's worth it don't buy it. I have been looking for a Cotic Simple frame I have been offered 2 but the sellers wanted £360 where as I think for a S/H frame I'd have paid £300 for a good example, otherwise I may as well save up and buy new with warranty. The seller disagreed so I just left it. Perhaps you should do the same.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Its not a great idea to post the price your looking to pay as there is less room for haggle.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

tails – Cheers, sound helpful advice

lcj

I've unfortunately just read this.

I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that English isn't his mother tongue, as the alternative is too depressing to contemplate.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

Dyslexic m8. so yeah i guess english isn't my mother tongue ;p

emac65
    Free Member

It's dead easy really, seller puts it up for X amount(usually more than they really want),you think it's worth Y amount(usually less than you're really prepared to pay),you make them an offer……
    From this point you'll either meet somewhere in the middle of the two offers or fail to agree & both go happily on your way…….

Andyhilton
    Free Member

People use these sites to get a bargain? **** right off!

People that use this site treat it like a community. The classifieds is part of that. It's not meant for people to sign up and hunt for a bargain and disappear again.

You can't pick up a cheap bike? boo hoo. Go to a bike shop and buy a £4-500 bike. When you're done with it sell it on here for a decent price.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

Andyhilton – ''You can't pick up a cheap bike? boo hoo.'' Nice mate. Very dignified.

njee20
    Free Member

Generally speaking i think its safe to say that the price you can sell it on at depreciates at different rates and those rates can be any number of things(and are worth logging just like to do a car, receipts and all) as soon as you use it on your bike, and then over time continues to fall in potential sale price until you hit a 'plateau' and from then on the integrity of the part as far as the buyer is concerned is regulated by the user with maintenance and what not.

Actually there's a comma before generally, so it's the magic 100 word sentence.

I have nothing else to say here. Stuff is worth what someone is willing to pay, if you don't wanna pay it then don't.

JonR
    Free Member

I can't be bothered to read this whole thread, is it just a cheapskate whinging or is there more to it?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Just the normal everyday STW finickityness

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I've no idea, I haven't read it.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

It's just a cheapskate whinging.

Andthonyfw – Nothing to do with dignity. You want a bargain bike. You join this forum. Then don't contribute to the forum other than a wanted ad and have a cry when nothing comes your way. You should check the definition of scrounger.

ken_shields
    Free Member

JonR – Member
    I can't be bothered to read this whole thread, is it just a cheapskate whinging or is there more to it?

No there is no more to it

On a side note

Antonyfw – Member
    Dyslexic

Have you noticed that dyslexic people can always spell dyslexic properly but then b0ll0x up everything else they write……a bit odd if you ask me 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much.

One of those people who sign up to use the clasifides then winge about it.

As for the haggling thing, I'm usualy content to wait arround untill one comes up at a price I can pay. Occasionaly if something comes up grosly overpriced but its something I want I'll enquire, but generaly i'm happy to wait.

oldgit
    Free Member

I once bought a brand new mountainbike reduced from £1000 to £399……….which was nice.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

I think i've got what i want form this post. Errrrr, thanks.

Ken_shields – wow. just wow.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think i've got what i want form this post. Errrrr, thanks.

Found a bike then? 😉

smoggy
    Free Member

Cheapskaaaaaaaate!

I'd been wanting to do that since the start of this thread.

🙂

Antonyfw
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Nah it was well overpriced. "Waaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

See what i did there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Second Hand bikes just aren't that expensive!’ is closed to new replies.