Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sealskinz socks – which ones?
  • allyharp

Like the idea of getting some Sealskinz for the winter, but I had no idea how much choice there was! I’ve seen Thin, Ultra Light, Mid-Light, Mid-Weight, Thermal

What can you recommend?!

philfive
    Free Member

Lol my riding buddie bought some Sunday for £34, my socks where 3 pairs for £10, his feet where just as wet as mine at the end 🙂

Pook

I dunno. But if mid-weight extra large is for 11-13 feet, there’s something gone wrong with the sizing on the thermals I’ve got. It’s like putting my feet into two bivvy bags.

nick1962
    Free Member

I use the mid medium length ones-wasn’t as much choice when I got them.Also got a pair of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-MVP-WATERPROOF-SOCKS-GRADE-1-/300553679009?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item8bb3a2adaf
    proving to be just as good so far.

trevh
    Free Member

try an get the longer ones nature of the product put ur foot down deep mud or water deeper than ankle you will still get ****** soaked only diff is the water/mud stays in the sock as there waterproof making it worse lol. believe me ive done it but 99% of the time there good.

TiRed

I have mid medium, wish I’d bought the longer ones. Thickness is about right.

epicyclo

Long as possible. Better than welly boots 🙂

Get a comfortable and not a tight fit. I prefer thermal.

FuzzyWuzzy

I was anti-sealskinz for a while as they end up just as bags full of water but the knee-length ones actually seem to work (I use them with 3/4 waterproofs). If you can get lightweight ones then I’d go for that and when it gets colder use thin merino liner socks if you need to as it gives you a bit more versatility + layers are better than thickness for warmth.

boblo
    Free Member

None of them, they are not very good.

Get some Gore Bikeware Gore-Tex socks. They keep your feet dry but leak eventually. The eventually bit depends on how often you use them. A pair of mine started to leak after wearing them continuously for 3 weeks (i.e equivalent to 20 days riding). The Sealskins leaked on the first ride.

mattsccm
    Free Member

They all leak eventually but thee did seem to be a bad batch a couple of years ago. Several retailers have pointed this out and it seems to match my experience. My 1st pair, fairly hefty long ones are still fines and they must be 7 years old and get a lot of abuse in m/x boots full of mud after wading through bogs. Other than that I buy the shortest, lightest one. Pair one lasted about 3 years and and then gave me the impression of dampness at the toe. The replacements lasted a year so I went back to pair one. I use short and light as they fit my shoes and don’t come above the tops of my over boots. ” layers means warm feet for me. Also short ones don’t give the Armstrong/ I’m a trendy mtb er look.

johnnystorm

Medium Activity sealskins here. I’ve only just got them and worn them a couple of times but I’m pleased with them. Kept my feet dry, didn’t get sweaty and fitted in my am45s.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sealskinz socks – which ones?’ is closed to new replies.