• This topic has 49 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • sealskinz overated?
  • Blower
    Free Member

both pairs ive had feet geta wet inside,
    keep mi feet warm when dry conditions though.

Speshpaul

No mine work fine.
    theres a good chance the water is running down your legs and in to the socks.

Blower
    Free Member

could be,then again if i ave mi waterproofs on over boots they still get wet..;0S

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nope. They work fine unless water get in over the top…….

Driller
    Free Member

Conversley, I find that they keep my feet dry (I wouldn't have wanted to be without them last week in Scotland) but they're not the warmest of socks, and if your shoes fit you in the summer, you might be pushed to get a liner sock and the Seal Skinz on inside your shoe.

Mind you, the most important part of keeping your feet warm is keeping them dry.

13thfloormonk

They're not perfect, but better than normal socks and make winter riding much more enjoyable (for me).

I'd be tempted to try wool socks, if i thought they really stayed warm when wet.

stumpy01

I'm with driller…..they keep my feet dry, but aren't the warmest.
    Next time I use them I might try a thin cotton sock underneath.

soobalias
    Free Member

nope, socks are great, gloves are better.

Speshpaul

Sealskins + M101's with endura thermastat (with the waterproof shins) over the tops of both.
    Perfect no, but very very water resistant.
    Try the thermal liners for the sealskins or the merino lined ones.

Drac

They work great for ages and then stretch so start to let water in, however they can act like a wet suit and your feet become toasty.

Del

waterproof for about their first year IME.

Beagleboy

I get very cold feet when I've got my Sealskins socks on. I might try thin cotton socks on under them though, that sounds like an idea. I've got a pair of Sealskin gloves as well, not the mtb specific ones, but I get really cold hands when wearing them to.

Speshpaul

Beagleboy, try a hat as well.

organic355
    Free Member

nope, socks are great, gloves are better.

You must have strange shaped feet?

antigee

try a hat as well.

assuming can get it on over the gloves

ps great but longevity is a problem

thesurfbus
    Free Member

And don't let the wife put them in the Tumble Drier either.

emac65
    Free Member

I don't like them at all – They make my feet sweat & then they get cold,not that I find them that warm anyway tbh…
    Two pairs of M&S merino socks & my old 101's work far better for me.If it's really cold & wet I'll chuck a pair of overshoes on too,toasty 🙂

jim
    Free Member

Work well for me, and as others have said event if they fill with water from the top they're still warm.

I get very cold feet when I've got my Sealskins socks on.

You sure they're not making your shoes too tight and cutting off the circulation?

traildog
    Free Member

I find they work at first, butlose their waterproofing with age. Also, once water gets in them, then it stays in for the rest of the ride which is why I usually prefer normals socks on long rides. I also find them so much thicker than normal socks that shoes become a bit tight and this interferes with blood flow which makes my feet cold.
    So I've mixed views of them. I like them for when it's really tipping it down and I'm only out for a couple of hours at the most (they were brilliant at this weekends cross races), but for long days out I prefer normal socks.

david_r
    Free Member

Ive got sealskinz gloves and IMHO they're absolutely shite. Worst pair of cycling goves I own. Tissue has better waterproofing properties than these gloves.

nsaints
    Free Member

Just bought the sealskinz thermal liner sock thingies, I'm already getting cold toes in Shimano winter boots with thermal walking socks…hopefully I won't be disappointed after tomorrow nights excursions

grumm
    Free Member

My feet get wet but stay just about warm enough – at least they don't go numb.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I've always assumed that you'll get wet anyway. Possibly this comes from sailing experience. 🙂
    I've got a pair of Merino Sealskins that I use for winter cycling and sailing, and they're lovely and toasty. I don't mind getting wet – it's how warm you are that counts in my book.
    One other thing – don't put a cotton layer next to your skin if you want to stay warm. It traps sweat and other liquids, but doesn't allow them to wick properly. Wool does – the M&S Merino suggestion is a good 'un.

emac65
    Free Member

I've always assumed that you'll get wet anyway. Possibly this comes from sailing experience.

Used to wear wellies(nice yellow ones) when I sailed with great big thick **** off wooly socks,always had warm feet & rarely got them wet…apart from the times I fell overboard 😳

nicko74

Mine are mostly OK – I wear them under football socks, which keep the worst of the water/ rain off them; and the slight woolly lining keeps things warm. My Spesh shoes are large enough that they just about fit in. But too many hot washes won't do them (the Sealskinz) any favours.

Blower
    Free Member

gloves are poo too.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

As found above,I find them bulky which restricts circulation and leads to cold feet.By comparsion I often use a pair of Helly Hansen merino socks and my feet stay warmer.
    My preferred winter foot ensemble is now merino wool scoks plus Endura MT500 overshoes.

Andy-W
    Free Member

If you have shorts on and it rains heavy the water will run down into the socks

If you have the socks tucked under full length leggings the water should not get inside

SealSkinz
    Free Member

Hello there,

It has come to our attention that a few of you good people have been let down by your SealSkinz products.

It’s always interesting to hear from our customers and we really appreciate this feedback.

To make sure that your SeakSkinz products are kept in top condition, remember to follow the care instructions on the label.

Socks and gloves may be washed at up to 40°C and tumble dried on a low heat , but do check the care label on the individual product for specific instructions.

DO NOT put your SealSkinz gear on a radiator or any other direct heat source to dry.

Make sure that your socks are the right thickness for your shoes. As mentioned above, this can restrict circulation and that's when you get cold.

All SealSkinz products are tested for waterproofness during manufacture. For this reason, we ask that faulty products be returned to us for testing. All goods found to have a manufacturing fault will be replaced free of charge.

If have any concerns about your products or want to speak to us about specific care instructions, please call us on 01553 817990, or email us at info@sealskinz.com.

Our customers are the most important people and we will do everything we can to make sure that you get the most out of your SealSkinz products.

Happy biking,

The SealSkinz Customer Service Team

snowslave

In my experience they'll stay dry until you're so wet that water runs down your legs and gets inside them, or if you walk in a river and water comes over the top. But no sock can prevent that.

E.G. Last night after our ride I blasted my boots clean with a dirt worker whilst still wearing them, and my feet kept completely dry due to the seal skinz socks, and they're at leat 2 years old.

Big fan of their socks, but the gloves are not so good at keeping the wet out.

aP
    Free Member

I use the docks with a thin thermal pair as well and they're good as I've got bad circulation – without not so good.
    I like the gloves although they do get hard to put back on after about 2-3 hours but then that's the same with most winter gloves.

eviljoe
    Free Member

LOVE THEM!

Had the socks for 3 years, and only hada few leaks in extreme conditions. Wash them at low temp and line dry them. Wear thin merino socks under them, and make sure my boots are fairly loose.

Gloves have done me 2 seasons, so far so good, may get some undergloves to keep my fingers properly warm

stumpy01

No complaints from me, apart from a medium pair that I bought is a lot better fit, than a medium pair my parents bought me – they have really baggy 'legs'.
    Thing is, I generally only wear them with tights over the top, so it's not really an issue.

The gloves (the ones called something like technical MTB) are good, but I rarely wear them as they are 'too' warm if it's above about 3deg. C or so. Not really a complaint though, as they are for wearing when it's cold.

allthepies
    Free Member

Love my merino lined ones, use them on every ride in autumn/winter.

user-removed
    Free Member

Got a pair of army goretex (equivalent) boot liners off ebay for £5. They're a bit massive but do an amazing job of keeping your feet warm and dry – they come up a lot higher than sealskinz (think hiking socks).

No good for walking in – blisters ahoy, but perfect for riding and the odd bit of pushing and carrying.

Mine are into their third year of winter riding.

woody2000

Has anyone tried anything like this – neoprene socks?

Terrible idea? I suppose they kind of rely on your foot being wet to be warm, which is probably not too pleasant after a while.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

bought some yesterday, wore them last night riding.

Early days, but if they continue to do what they did last night, they are awesome!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

p.s. my riding sock quality thus far has been restricted to primark sockettes, so sealskinz didn't have much to live up to though!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

p.s. my riding sock quality thus far has been restricted to primark sockettes, so sealskinz didn't have much to live up to though!

AlteredCarbon
    Free Member

My thermal ones have kept me completely dry so far. Even managed to get my feet completely submerged in a muddy puddle on Sunday and was just awaiting that horrible first cold and wet touch of water seeping into your socks – only for nothing to happen! Quite a weird seeing your feet submerged but staying warm and dry (outside of wearing wellies that is!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘sealskinz overated?’ is closed to new replies.