Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Scrapping a car
  • Kunstler

I’ve put this off for long enough but now I have to get rid of my car. It’s not feasible to put it through an MOT – needs too much doing and just wouldn’t be worth it. I’m thinking of just taking £50 from ‘we buy any car’ (someone suggested them a while ago) which is the web valuation I got. Would it be worth more anywhere else? There’s got to a fair amount of value in the parts if it goes for breaking.

I’ve a feeling that there isn’t much I can do so I guess I’m just wanting some reassurance that I’m not throwing away an opportunity to get some needed cash back.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

anywhere but WBAC, I’d recommend.

nickjb
    Free Member

ebay. Honest description and good pics and it will sell in 7 days.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Split and sell through ebay if you have the space, and a plan for what to do with the carcass

Simwit

Don’t let it go for £50, the price of scrap steel is high at the moment & I know a couple of recent examples of £250 for a Vauxhall Frontera and £180 for a Rover 400 as long as you can get it to the scrappy and you have the V5 to prove it’s yours to scrap. Oh, & ring around if you have a couple of scrap yards to choose from as prices vary a little bit. Hope this helps.

Edit, these prices were from scrap yards in Aldershot, Hampshire not sure where you are.

rootes1

Would it be worth more anywhere else? There’s got to a fair amount of value in the parts if it goes for breaking

Unless you want to break and sell bits – have you tried a breakers yard? they are paying good prices at the moment.

also web valuations are worth the screen they are displayed on.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Plenty of Scrap places would collect it for more than £50 so don’t WBAC it.

What car is it?

Depending what it is I’d stick it on Ebay and if it doesn’t reach a £100 reserve I’d let the scrap man come collect it.

Kunstler

I’m in Edinburgh. The car is a V reg Laguna Sport. It’s not possible for me to break or store it and I need to shift it fairly quickly.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Or if you aren’t bothered about the extra cash, just phone a scrap yard to come and collect it after getting a few quotes (you should see at least £100 for it)

Gary_C

As said above, do not use WBAC, bunch of conmen. (Google them).

globalti
    Free Member

I got £38 for a small copper water cylinder so I think you’ll get more than £50 for a car.

GDRS

If you are in Ed

Henry Grey might give you a good price / Sports Car breakers might also make you an offer…..

Stoner
    Free Member

Youll get close on £200 if you tow it to your local metal recylers. Youll need to remove the wheels when you get there and take them away. If you sell it to any one in the back of the local rag advertising for scrap cars thats all they do, but they only pay you £50.

adam_h
    Free Member

I got £38 for a small copper water cylinder so I think you’ll get more than £50 for a car

I’ve been getting £5.00 a kg for copper with solder, £2.70ish a kg for brass. And £150-£200 per 1000kg for mixed steel.

The catalytic converter is worth more than £50, just sold mine for £65 and put a de-cat pipe on.

b1galus
    Free Member

current price for a scrap car in Edinburgh is £70 collected from your door or £110 if you bring it down yourself for further details phone 0131 552 5559 Wm. waugh ltd

maccruiskeen

I got £38 for a small copper water cylinder so I think you’ll get more than £50 for a car

£1800/ton for copper vs £180/ton for steel when I was scrapping stuff last week, so not that good a comparison. And a car counts as dirty scrap (with glass/interior/tyres/oil/fuel attached that the yard has to pay to dispose of) You only get good prices for scrap if you separate everything out, so with a car you only get the value of the lowest value element, and then some knocked off for all the valueless bits.

No matter how how far past economical repair you think a car is – you’ll still find a buyer for it on ebay the more flaws you can detail the more interest/money you’ll get.

mboy
    Free Member

In the middle of selling all the broken parts from my T plate VW Passat TDi that the engine seized on.

So far, have netted about £7-800 and I still have quite a number of parts in good condition left to sell.

DO NOT let WBAC have it for £50. OK, Renault spare parts aren’t worth as much as VW, but you’d be a fool to let it go for £50. Whack it up on ebay with an honest description, you’ll get £250 minimum for it I reckon.

Kunstler

Thanks for your replies. I thought the only option would be to sell to car breakers for the parts (got to be worth the most this way?) so I’m surprised that it should it make money for it’s raw material. I’m going to phone around a few places this afternoon.

andyl
    Free Member

DO NOT USE WBAC!

They will give you £50 and then take the £50 back as the admin charge – ie £0!

ost car breakers will come and collect and you should get £100 for it at least.

Make sure you use a licensed car breaker though as you need to get the correct paperwork. And keep the tax disc if there is any tax on it and cash it in with the DVLA.

If it has alloys on it then consider taking them off and selling them separately. Most breakers will be able to pick the car up and dump it on their wagon anyway.

totalshell

scrap yard no question, currently buying cars in rochdale for 125 picked up, selling wheels and lights off for 160- 225 to the scrappers. leaving me wheels/ tyres and lights to sell..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Scrapping a car’ is closed to new replies.