Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Santa Cruz sizing, general FS query
  • soulwood
    Free Member

I am considering purchasing a Santa Cruz, maybe a Superlight for long days out in the Peaks. I have a large Cotic Soul(the biggest they do)and run a 100mm stem, which I note on the website is the maximum recommended length. At 6'2" and a bit on the Santa Cruz sizing I am right in between a SC in L or XL. The major difference being the top tube is 1" longer. Now, the question is, do I go for the same size with a 100mm stem, or is it better for FS to have a shorter stem and maybe a longer top tube? What has the STW people experienced with SC sizing and can anybody offer any FS sizing advice as I have no idea being 100% hardtail since 1996.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I'm 6'3" and ride a L Heckler with a 70mm stem. The XLs look pretty big. But I guess a test ride is the only way to tell for sure.

Drac

6' 2" here and ride a Large Heckler it's just a nice size for agility and climbing.

z1ppy

I'm 6ft2 and own a large 07 new shape superlight, & definitely would recommend this size to you. Great bike, will run up to 120mm forks happily, though I have 115mm u-turn and usual them down on steeper climb to keep the front end down, i reckon it runs best as an XC bike on the 100mm setting though.
    I run mine with a 100mm stem if that helps…

soulwood
    Free Member

z1ppy, good to know, because I think the superlight is a different kind of bike compared to a Heckler, from what I'm led to believe from reading mags and the web. Hecklers appear to be longer travel for a bit of "MTB DVD stuff" and I am beginning to think that a lot of people automatically think "more is best" when it comes to travel. I see a lot of threads on here about people ditching their FS and going back to HT, and wonder if these people had chosen a lightweight short travel FS would they want to go back to a HT?

penguinni

Im 6' and ride a large Blur Classic

Its perfect for me, although I often wonder when I see so many pics on this site with really high seatposts if I should be riding a smaller size!

Andy

6'2" / long inside leg; ride an xl superlight. Was very nervous about buying an xl but the 19" L was just too small for my leggy build and the XL fits just right. You are welcome to try mine! I recommend trying them. really depends on your physique for your hieght.

Cant comment on the Superlight/Heckler debate as I use my superlight for local stuff in Berkshire/Chilterns plus Quantocks / Afan stuff and its perfect for that. Got something a bit longer for Scotland/lakes/Alps.

dickie
    Free Member

5'11" – 2007 Large Heckler layback post, 100mm stem.
    Had a 2008 Large Superlight with in line post & 100mm stem.

How about a Morewood Zula?? Good reviews & slightly longer toptube in a large than a Superlight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

6'0.5" L 2003 Heckler is perfect, but the SL is a different bike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz sizing, general FS query’ is closed to new replies.