Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Santa Cruz Nomad sizing
  • steviepcommencal
    Free Member

I am considering getting a Snat Cruz Nomad but looking at their website the sizing is a little confusing

I usually ride a small (16in) but the website says that I would need a medium, this has a 17in seat tube which seems a bit too long for me

I am 5.7 with a 30inch inside leg

Anyone out there with a Santa Cruz’s that could give me a few pointers?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am 6ft 1 with a 32″ inside leg and ride a large heckler

Radioman

Im about the same size as you and ride a medium Nomad Carbon. (5’7″ with 29 leg). As SC produce quite a lot of sizes the medium comes up close to a”small” in specialized equivalent… In most bikes I ride 16s too.

stevenieve
    Free Member

5’10” on a large Nomad C, running a short 65mm stem

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I took a medium out for a demo ride on Saturday, it was spot on for me at 5″8

Neil-S
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and ride a medium Nomad Carbon.

My inside leg is 32″ and the bike is the perfect size for me with a 70mm stem. I’ve honestly never ridden a bike that felt more “right”.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I had a medium Nomad @ 5′ 9″ perfect

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Cool

Cheers guys

I am prob gonna get the small, I prefer smaller frames so reckon i will get on better with it

Plus, I have found a 2010 one new for £1000 frame and shock

deadkenny
    Free Member

Test ride.

Not just around a car park. Proper ride if you can. It’s the only way to be sure unless you can judge from specs and reviews, ideally with experience (and better if you can return if you don’t like it). I did the latter with my recent 456 build but then you can’t test ride them and they’re cheap. A rig like a Nomad is expensive and you really should ride it first to see.

For what it’s worth though 5’7″, 31″ inside leg and test rode a medium, and ended up buying it. Doesn’t mean much stating what fits me as it’s also up to how you like your ride.

That said I sometimes find the frame a tiny bit short for me, but I’ve read this is natural design with the Nomad. On the other hand the 456 is quite a long reach and going by geometry specs based on what I know of similar bikes, I ended up with the small which is just right. Still a little longer than the Nomad. Reach and seat position is bang on, whereas the Nomad is slightly off the back.

All said, slightly too small is better than slightly too large, but small Nomad is very small in my opinion. Just my opinion though. Again, test ride!

snowmad
    Free Member

Hi
    Im 6,1″ with a 33″ inside leg and ride an extra large

blurltrider
    Free Member

5′ 6″ 29″ inside leg. Had a small frame but found it too ‘big’.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

5’8″ 29″ leg and ride a medium Blur LT2 and wouldn’t want to go any smaller. I reckon if you went for a small Nomad you would end up being too cramped or end up with a silly long stem

Radioman

Be careful if you are buying a small & test ride it first to make sure its ok.

I had a long talk with the guys at SC when buying mine thats why they guided me to a medium & i’m happy with it..( The Nomad replaced a small Spec SX Trail, I also ride a small Cove STD).

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’d go medium, if I remember they are only around 22″ TT, 50mm stem inline seat post it will be awesome.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/nomad/#sizing.php

Neil-S
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the country are you Stevie?

neil853
    Free Member

6ft on a large Blur LTc, I’d say a medium is what you should go for, i’d test one its still a lot of money to get wrong.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Tough one, you’re right on the border between the two.

However it is easier to make a small bike bigger with a layback & a slightly longer stem, rather than shrink a bigger bike.

FWIW, 6’2″ on a large Nomad Carbon.

deadkenny
    Free Member

P.S. Ignore seat tube sizes. Only really relevant to stand over and that’s really something for road bikes in the past. MTB top tubes are all very different between brands and you can end up with good stand over with a 17″ frame with one brand and yet poor with a 16″ frame with another. Stand over is not something to worry about much with off-road MTB in my opinion. Far more important to get the reach right, seat position, and the head angle that suits you.

Check the geometry specs, top tube, head angle, reach & wheelbase length, etc. If you can, find specs for a bike you know fits you and compare.

Still – test ride. Look for demo days near you also.

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys

I am based in Portsmouth

I am only buying a fame as all the parts are coming off my Whyte E120 (apart from forks) I already have a Joplin post so it has layback, the Whyte was a small and I found this too big and the reach was too long, I went from 80, 70 and then to 50mm reach.

I think I will have to get out there and try a few, like everyone has said, its a lot of money!!

monotokpoint
    Free Member

where did you see that offer stevie? quite tempted too

Neil-S
    Free Member

A bit far to have a go on mine then!!

🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Nomad sizing’ is closed to new replies.