Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • salomon trainers….comfy?
  • ton

how comfy are salomon trainers.

mrmo
    Free Member

depends on which ones, the soles differ ime.

But on the whole i find them comfy, but i am 11 1/2stone.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pretty comfy Ton, I had some for about 6 years. I had to bin them eventually cos I looked like a tramp in them. Still comfy & I almost cried when I chucked em.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Janesy
    Free Member

Very.

matt_outandabout

Very.

slackalice
    Free Member

XA and XT’s are extremely comfy for me.

May be good for you to get your gait assessed to see if the support system works for you?

surazal
    Free Member

Comfy like slippers.

user-removed
    Free Member

I hardly wear any other shoes! I have a couple of pairs of their ‘soft’ goretex walking boots too, which are plenty comfy for all day use – like slippers 🙂

EDIT – yup, slippers ^^^

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My current ones are also very comfy BTW.

sweepy
    Free Member

They suit some people, I felt like there was a marble under the footbed at the arch of my foot.
    That was those trail running shoes that everyone wears, the more lifestyle ones might be different.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Another very here

therag
    Free Member

Comfy but didn’t last very long. Not sure which ones they were though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On 6th pair. Almost live in them – run, dog walk, bike, general use.

Uncomfortable for first two outings then brilliant. Sizes come up about 1/2 size small in my experience.

Expensive but brilliant!

bryan-g-

Another very.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Comfy but didn’t last very long. Not sure which ones they were though

I’m surprised. As I said my 1st ones lasted about 6 years with lots of wear. The soles were worn out with flappy bits & the inside heels were worn through cos I never undid the laces, the uppers however were still ok. I’ve got 2 pairs now & both get a fair bit of use & have stacks of life left.

bol

Yes, very

user-removed
    Free Member

Yeah that’s a large part of why I like them so much. They never fail catastrophically; rather they gently fade away! A good trait in shoes you’re likely to be wearing in the middle of nowhere!

druidh
    Free Member

They are the only trainers/boots I can buy directly off the shelf/page without trying on and know that hey’ll fit me. That’s after years of trying other makes of walking boots and getting blisters.

spando
    Free Member

I would rate them as great everyday shoes but average running shoes, depends what you want them for.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I would rate them as great everyday shoes but average running shoes
    What are ‘ running shoes’? Mine must be the ‘everyday’ ones!

spando
    Free Member

If you are after a trail running shoe, don’t bother getting your gait checked as trail shoes are neutral. For proper running Innov8 are ace though with the low heel to toe offset you will have to gradually introduce them into you running routine to build the strength required for a more mid/fore foot strike. (a much more natural and safer way to run)

therag
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Comfy but didn’t last very long. Not sure which ones they were though

I’m surprised. As I said my 1st ones lasted about 6 years with lots of wear. The soles were worn out with flappy bits & the inside heels were worn through cos I never undid the laces, the uppers however were still ok. I’ve got 2 pairs now & both get a fair bit of use & have stacks of life

The back of the heels fell apart.
    They were the running ones with a toggle thingy instead of laces

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Be careful with innov8’s that they suit your feet. Several friends and I have had awful plantaar fasciatis after running in them over longer distances – ultras. I still use an old pair for short (max 10k) XC races but nothing over 1 hour or so.

One downside of Sally’s that I have found in mountain ultras – crap grip in the wet. Otherwise great.

neninja
    Free Member

XA Pro are really comfy. XA Pro 2 are even better.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Great bits of kit IMHO…

They do ( the soles) wear out pretty quickly tho’..

stevious

I’ve found them pretty terrible for off road running on anything remotely wet (such as the UK, for example).

They are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had though – I wear them every day.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a pair of approach shoes, had them 6 years fantastic and have taken a huge amount of abuse when they do wear out I’ll get some more (the tread is starting to wear out after the years of hiking) The Mrs has some trainers as she prefers the slimmer style, they get a similar amount of use and abuse.

matt_outandabout

Mine are ace as said – but the newer ones are not lasting in my and my staff experience. And we buy in bulk from the Salomon trade clearance list – I would be well upset if I had paid full price and they lasted as short a time as they do….

spando
    Free Member

teamhurtmore…. very true, a low heel shoe as innov8 do require a runner to be experienced in minimalist running before hitting long distance as when fatigue sets in you will tend to heel strike more therefore resulting in possible plantaar fasciatis. Over time and careful integration a minimalist shoe will prevent injury by encouraging a strong and natural forefoot running style.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Naa, what I actually said was, ‘the inside heels were worn through cos I never undid the laces’, IE, I just shoved my feet in, not doing the heels any good, & after 6 years I think I’d have noticed the ‘toggle thingy’!
    They may have been ‘running shoes’ but I never ran anywhere in them!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agreed spando and didn’t want to knock innov8s per se. Actually, I have been better in the low heels. It was running an 30 mile XC mara last year in the supposedly cushioned roclites that killed my tri season last year.

Does anyone run long distances (XC ultras, mountain maras etc) in speedcross?

julioflo
    Free Member

Personally i’m an Inov-8 fan….

spando
    Free Member

teamhurtmore….. sorry to hear about your tri season last year thats pants. I’m just getting into Tri and loving it, not even that fussed about being competitive just enjoying the events. Have my eye on the big ben tri this year 😯 recon that will hurt a bit!
    Hope you are all sorted now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks spando – I enjoyed triathlon a lot apart from the ever increasing cost. Went thru the usual sprint, oly, HIM phase oner 5 years (didn’t do full IM as couldnt train hard enough to do it well enough and didn’t want to merely plod round). Helvellyn Tri my favourite over the years – but fell over in slippy salomon’s coming off Raise!! Finally lost my mojo in the middle of HIM in 2010 and decided to do something else – ultras, AR and most recently mtb. Good luck with your Tri experience and watch the £s!!

Have done one 30m XC run in Sally’s this year (in the snow) and they were great for comfort but so/so on grip, but frankly in snow and ice nothing was going to be that good!! Then took out old I8s yesterday for short muddy blast for an hour. Weird to go back to the low heel again!!

takisawa2

I like the couple of pairs I have. Very comfy.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Does anyone run long distances (XC ultras, mountain maras etc) in speedcross?

I don’t run long distances in them regularly but I’ve done 1 mara in a set of speedcross. They seamed fine, much like everyone else I use the XA pros daily so figured it would be easier to get a set of speedcross for the marathon (off road obviously) than try anything too new.

I’m not ecstatic on the recent quality of Salomons, ages a go I had a pair that lasted years, the last two pairs of XA’s wore through the inside of the heel in 5-6months, bit of duct tape on the inside gets a few more months out of them but I’ll probably not buy them again.

Iain

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Imo they are not uncomfortable, but not functionally comfortable if that makes sense. I’ve currently got speedcross and xt’s. The xt are much too padded and bouncy on the heel for proper use. They come with ridiculously padded insoles so that they feel super comfy in the shop before you buy them but for trail running they have no feel other than vague bounciness and little support.

The speedcross are better, less padding all round but still quite high in the heel for me, and I am quite a heavy heel striker. The high heel tends to force my toes into the toe box which is quite narrow leading to toe pain when running downhill. The speedcross have excellent grip in all conditions though imo, and are a decent aggressive trail/fell running shoe for serious gloop. The soles don’t tend to last too long though as they are a pretty soft compound for grip, just like your bike tyres.

If I was a more serious runner i’d prefer something stiffer and more supportive for off road running like the asics fuji ss12

therag
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Naa, what I actually said was, ‘the inside heels were worn through cos I never undid the laces’, IE, I just shoved my feet in, not doing the heels any good, & after 6 years I think I’d have noticed the ‘toggle thingy’!
    They may have been ‘running shoes’ but I never ran anywhere in them!

I meant mine, not yours. As
    I have no idea which ones you have 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I wear them for casual shoes (the more walky/lifestyle ones, not the trainers) because they are one of a very small range of shoes that fit me well. I have wide forefeet but very narrow heels, which means my heels flap around in most shoes.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I can’t remember exactly which models I’ve had, although I have owned 2 pairs of them in the past.

Loved both, really comfortable. I need shoes with a fairly wide toe section and the Salomon’s were perfect.

I am currently wearing Saucony trainers. Equally as good in my experience, although not directly comparable as the Salomon’s were technically trail-running type things.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘salomon trainers….comfy?’ is closed to new replies.