• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rig.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Salcey Forest
  • rig
    Free Member

I went in search of the bomb holes that I'd heard about in Salcey Forest at the weekend. I managed to find one, about 1m deep, and another at least 4m deep less then 100m away. There was also a bank about 3m high near to both. All but the small bomb hole was rather over grown I'm afraid.

This is no Woburn Trails, but as a local facility, it would be great to develop for bringing on riders' skills – mine could certainly be doing with it & the kids would love it. There were signs of previous mountain biking use – a couple of small jumps, berm etc. & unfortunately lots of rubbish.

Does anyone know anything about this area? It's in the SE corner of the forest by the Woodpecker Walk. I know that the South Northants cycling coach has used it in the past & thought I might see if he would be willing approach the Foerstry Commission regarding clearing it.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Hello,

I've been up there too.My son lives in the village just next door.The local bmx boys play up there in the summer(hence rubbish).I don't think trail building is welcome up there from what my boy says.
    I'm not in MK myself anymore (south wales now) but there's a few jump spots tucked away in the urban jungle of Milton Keynes.Some stuff just behind Madison between the railway and the A5.

Good luck with approaching the FC… it gets very muddy in Salcey too

-m-
    Free Member

As MKChris says, the main problem with Salcey is how quickly it cuts up when wet. Even routes that are relatively lightly used by walkers quickly turn into (virtually) impenetrable quagmires. Since the FC opened up more of the forest with the (family) cycling route a couple of years ago I suspect that contention may be more of an issue. The bridleways are also fairly heavily horsed. I did once meet someone in Northampton that claimed to ride there in a group regularly, but I suspect that either the season for doing so is quite short, or the impact quite significant.

The area I think you're referring to is one of the quieter parts, but there are a couple of bridleways that enter the forest in that corner, so it sees a reasonable amount of traffic – particularly in the summer.

I don't want to put you off having a go to see if you can make any progress, but don't set your expectations too high.

rig
    Free Member

Thank you for the info & for your advice.

It is muddy, so could only be used in spring & summer, but it's still worth a go I feel.

Cheers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Salcey Forest’ is closed to new replies.