Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Saddle angles. What's the "correct" angle?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

I witnessed all manner of bizarre angles at the w/end on rider's bikes doing the BORS.

I was wondering if there is an accepted norm' or if it's personal preferences as some of them were at 20 degrees or more tilted up at the front, which looked most painful.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Most are going to say pure flat. Although I prefer one notch (if the clamp has teeth) of nose pointing down.

adstick
    Free Member

IMO, tilted down at the front is just wrong, and often an indication that the saddle is too high. Saddles should be flat, or slightly tilted up (depending on saddle type and bike set up).

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Dead level.

Eccles
    Free Member

Remember to allow for suspension sag…

firestarter
    Free Member

surely the correct angle is the one that you find most comfortable

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

firestarter – Member

Is correct. I run mine nose up

jonb
    Free Member

Whatever you find most comfortable. Mines normally somewhere between level and very slightly down at the front. Varies from bike to bike and saddle to saddle though.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+ 1 for level

xc-steve
    Free Member

I've tried mine level titled down and up, have settled wit tilted up, allows me to push into it to put more power down. Found tilted down helped on climes but on level riding caused more pressure on my arms and level didn't seem quite as nice as Up…

But its all down to personal preference, although I do feel sometimes people sway to easily by other people's opinions rather than what actually suits them! (SHOCK HORROR!)

stumpynya12
    Free Member

90 degrees to seat post and shove it your arse for such a question.

will
    Free Member

down. Takes the pressure off your nads.

BigJohn

We went to see Mark Beaumont on Saturday. 100 miles a day for 27,000 miles he rode with a saddle that is pointed down way more than I could manage.

It's got a droopy nose as well, which makes it look even wierder.

mos

Somewhere between not so downward that you feel like you are slipping off & not so backward that you're nob goes numb.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Depends which you like doing more. Climbing – have it nose down a bit, descending – nose up, both – fairly flat. There is no set answer though.

jackthedog
    Free Member

The LBS boys keeps telling me to put mine level but I go nose down otherwise I get numbing of the plumbing.

oldgit
    Free Member

Dead flat for road and MTBs but a slight almost invisible tilt down for the crosser

Ti29er
    Free Member

90 degrees to seat post and shove it your arse for such a question.

There's always one fool who think he needs to "contribute" with some abusive nagative.
    Cheers for the informed answers (minus the village idiot).

KINGTUT
    Free Member

When I fit a saddle I use a spirit level to make sure the bike is on a flat surface, then I use the spirit level to make sure the saddle is dead level.

🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Hope you ensure that the sag never changes KT 😉

scaredypants

you pansies use saddles? 😯

Taff
    Free Member

Scaredypants loves a bit of post!!!

I have mine dead level then tilted up one notch to take account of sag.

fisha
    Free Member

slightly nose down for me. any nose up saddle makes me nads sore.

Who cares what it looks like. It literally is getting shoved where the sun dont shine.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

clubber – Member

Hope you ensure that the sag never changes KT

And where did I say it was dead level when I was sat on it huh?

clubber
    Free Member

Where did I say that I thought the saddle was dead level when you sat on it. Since you're a bit simple 😉 I'll explain. If the saddle is dead level when you set it, depending on the sag, it'll end up at a different angle. If you're suggesting that it's critical to get the saddle set to a specific angle (dead level pre-sag) then you have to set sag exactly the same all the time to ensure there's a point to you doing it.

Patronising enough? 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'm not reading all that.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Surely the sag issue is only for FS as on a HT the sag of the fork doesn't change the geometry enough to effect the saddle angle?

I usually set it up flat (I use a spirit level) and adjust if required on the first ride or two.

clubber
    Free Member

If you're saying that a spirit level is necessary then you're saying that sag on the fork is enough to affect it… 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you're saying that a spirit level is necessary

Its not necessary,it just makes me warm and fuzzy it also helps me locate uneven slabs on my patio at the same time, which is a bonus.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL 😉

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Ti29er.. Dont ask attention seeking dumb as *uck questions i.e get a life
    you idiot.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

stumpynya12 – Member

Ti29er.. Dont ask attention seeking dumb as *uck questions i.e get a life
    you idiot.

I'm not feeling the love.

clubber
    Free Member

It's ok, I love you KT, you big hunk of grumpy manliness 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Thanks honey.

leftyboy
    Free Member

If you're saying that a spirit level is necessary

Not saying it's necessary just that's how I do it as it gives me a 'level playing field' to start from! Sorry for the hideous pun 🙂

The best answer was

starting flat and adjusting on the first ride (or two) works for me and has for over 25 years.

stever
    Free Member

Wouldn't it be great if there were Saddle Angels? Just lightening the load a little, flapping their little tiny wings and protecting you from danger?

hughjengin
    Free Member

+1 for dead flat, its sometimes hard to measure what is dead flat becasue saddles have some weird side profile shapes, but I actually lay a spirit level on my perch and can feel its wrong even if its a tiny bit out of perfectly flat. Nose down for me feel horrendous

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Saddle angles. What's the "correct" angle?’ is closed to new replies.