Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Running and riding
  • jakeclyro
    Free Member

Hi guys

I have decided I am going to do a half marathon in October, and I will need to do some training for it.

I have looked up a variety of training schedules and they all seem pretty intense.

It left me thinking when would I have time to ride?

Has anyone had to juggle riding with training for a run before? If so, any advice?

thanks

Taff
    Free Member

Definitely not qualified to answer but I run and ride. Run a few times a week and mid week road ride and mtb ride on Sunday’s. I run for about an hour and have 2-3 different loops depending how I want to feel the next day. I’m doing 8miles consistanly and other than making sure my pace is either even or better I will sometimes vary by introducing 30s sprints and then a hobble of a recovery.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

How serious are you wanting to take the Half Marathon?

Running for an hour a couple of times a week at your own pace building up to 7 mph should see you fine. I’m not a runner but did this to get round a half marathon without to much bother.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

What gravitysucks says.

I do a bit of trail running here and there and combine it with trail maintenance, pruning etc.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m doing some similar juggling with a 24-hour solo and a marathon… Right now I’m focussed on riding, mostly, but trying to run a couple of times a week just to remind my legs of what weight-bearing exercise is. Theory is that the basic fitness will transfer over just fine, aim post solo is to up the running hours to get the legs into some sort of running shape.

People talk a lot of bollards about using ‘different muscles’, I think it’s more that you use the same muscles differently. My take is that running up hills actually relates quite well to pedalling movements, the real issues I have are on steep downs where your quadriceps are working eccentrically or something like that, erm, contracting anyway. That’s the stuff that tends to be an issue to me when I run.

I’d mix things up, do more running that you would normally, but just enjoy it. The good thing about cycling is that it’s low impact, so it’s good cross training for running – maybe alternate the two – the cardio-vascular benefits from riding still relate to running fitness as long as you run enough that your muscles are adapted to the weight bearing stuff. It’s that pounding that’s really alien to cyclists and riding as well might mean you can actually train more effectively by not subjecting your legs to it on successive sessions, if that makes sense. Look at the cycling side as a benefit, not an obstacle. Three hours of aerobic training on a bike is still three hours of aerobic training full stop.

I’m hardly an expert, but all that makes sense to me.

uplink
    Free Member

If you’ve not run for some time, an hour will probably be too much to start off with

as above, build to an hour at a decent pace twice a week ad you’ll be fine

Tiger6791

I don’t advise this approach but last year I used my bike fitness to get me round a half marathon. 2 hours and some very sore feet and muscles. Cardio bit was fine.

Did zero running training, just turned up on the day. I not a fit person either 3 stone overweight. This year however I’m going to train properly to try and get some extra weight off and post a decent time.

Keva
    Free Member

run during the week and ride at weekends.

Kev

Haze

2 short, sharp mid-week runs and a longer, slower one at the weekend worked for me.

Never went as far as a half marathon (did shortish fell runs) but it didn’t disrupt my riding and I’m sure I could have managed a half if I’d have stuck at it a bit longer.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I was in a similar position to you when I entered a half marathon having not run any long distance since I left school 33 years ago. I started off doing a short distance of about a mile which was a run/walk/run. this eventually was a full run then I increased the distance 2.5miles, 4 miles, 6 miles & then the maximum run I did in training was 8 miles. I used to go out at least 2 times a week sometimes 3 depending on how I felt. I started in Feb & I ran the half at the end of May in 2hrs 20mins but I’m old & slow.

Most training schedules suggest a run day followed by a rest day – I used this one as a rough guide. I found it difficult to fit in genuine rest days for recovery as I play football on Wednesday, I do a 28mile ride to work & back most weeks & I ride at the weekends.

My advice would be to get your feet checked out by a proper sports shop not JJB or sports world so you get the right running shoes for your feet. I had mine checked out & I never had any problems with my shoes/feet. Build up the distance slowly don’t try to run too far too soon. Run at a pace that you can sustain the longest I found that running & still being able to hold a conversation was the right pace for me. Maybe join a local running club to go running & get the benefit of their experience.

Good luck & enjoy the day.

ridingscared
    Free Member

like CB says- get some decent trainers. Have your running style analysed at a decent running shop and get the right footwear to suit.

surfer
    Free Member

People talk a lot of bollards about using ‘different muscles’, I think it’s more that you use the same muscles differently.

Training requires specificity. If you are serious about riding you need to ride and the same is true of running.
    Each will help the other to some extent. If you want to finish a HM then the occasional run with plenty of cycling will probably get you through.

jakeclyro
    Free Member

Hey guys,

thanks for the tips and experiences. I think luckily i have plenty of time to train so I won’t need to miss out on too much riding!

I have got myself some proper trainers, was tested ona treadmill in a decent running shop so feel great.

thanks again

djglover
    Free Member

I used to combine them, riding 2-3 times and running 3-4. They certianly didn’t harm each other, however since concentrating on running I’ve improved running and lost about 10% of bike speed. So they don’t help much either above a certain level

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Triathletes don’t seem to struggle with it and they throw swimming in as well. In the past i’ve run in the morning then cycled in the evening but those days are long gone. As whats already has been mentioned how serious do you want to take and considering it’s 4 months away your got bit of time, might even pay to enter one or two shorter local races as part of your preparation and also for something to aim at as 4 months is a long time to concentrate for 1 race.

nicko74

How do you realistically do this for a marathon without getting injuries from overtraining? I’m going from running or riding once a week to, in theory, running 3 times a week for a marathon, and hopefully biking too. I’ve already had to put it on hold for a couple of weeks due to an achilles issue (tight calf muscles), and although I’ve done a marathon before, I’m concerned that trying to ramp it up is just going to be too much

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Running and riding’ is closed to new replies.