Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

Ashton – he may do nothing but score tries but he is rather good at that.

At international level, a lot of his tries have come against the likes of Italy. I don’t want him anywhere near the Lions!

tinybits
    Free Member

Lets put it this way, Aston couldn’t make the England team. there’s no way in the world he’s lions calibre!

He is (was?) quick, that’s not in doubt, look at his try against Aus in about 2010 but that’s not enough. Rokoduguni (sp?) is far better as an attacker, just too idle to be quite international class. Ashton is not as good as him in all aspects of his game.

duckman

wrecker – Member

Ha, I told you all about ellis genge last year (one to watch at that point).
    He is a very angry man, but he doesn’t spill over. Of all of the fights he appears to try and get into, he never actually gets into one. It’s all about intimidation, and he’s pretty good at it.

Piling into a ruck from the side in front of the ref to give somebody a cheap one in the ribs is NOT intelligent. Good in the loose, will make a good door hinge when he retires at scrum time. The mess Nel(if he plays again) or Furlong will make of him will be best watched from behind the sofa.

tinybits
    Free Member

I think you’ll be surprised. As long as he’s got Jamie George in the middle, he’ll do OK.
    At 21 he’s already doing pretty well in the AP, in 5 years he’ll wipe the floor with most. Nel will be 36 then, Fulong 29 (so more comparable). He’s had less than 20 AP games so far, so it’s to be expected that there may still be some issues!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Piling into a ruck from the side in front of the ref to give somebody a cheap one in the ribs is NOT intelligent

Maybe not but if you read POC’s book – it’s pretty much all he seemed to do in HIS early years. 😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I agree, but Ashton doesn’t really do anything himself. He relies on others putting him into space or creating an opportunity to finish.

Couldn’t disagree more – Ashton makes literally dozens of runs off the ball, always looking to get on to someone’s shoulder for the scoring pass. You don’t notice most of them because he never gets the pass and then when he does, it looks like an easy run in. But it wasn’t, it was hard graft.

BOD absolutely loves him. He always talks him up on BT Sport and says he’s never seen another player work so hard off the ball.

tjagain

I am starting to feel rather happy about our chances in the 6N. Am I suffering from premature jock elation?

anagallis_arvensis

Scotland could well finish above Italy and Wales and maybe France but Ireland and England will be too strong imo.
    I reckon the final table will look something like:

England
    Ireland
    Scotland
    France
    Wales
    Italy

tjagain

3 wins is the minimum acceptable IMO. Depends if Cotter can convince the scots players the opposition are rabbits that need skinning 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

The mess Nel(if he plays again) or Furlong will make of him will be best watched from behind the sofa.

You’re not wrong there, Genge switched from the flank fairly late on; obviously scrummaging isn’t his strong point yet but he has the strength and the coaching in place to make a fine operator. Only time will tell.

Piling into a ruck from the side in front of the ref to give somebody a cheap one in the ribs is NOT intelligent.

He’s FAR from the only one guilty of that crime now is he?

Namaste is bang on about Ashton, he is a long way from just a poacher/lucky git. I know he’s a weapons grade cockend but he’s a very, very good rugby player, like it or not. I’d still far sooner have a beer with him than Hogg, who makes old chris look like a sound bloke.

anagallis_arvensis

Ashton is a good player but his defence is awful.

wrecker
    Free Member

Indisputable, but the likes of wade and may aren’t a lot better, if at all. I’m not championing a return to the england team for Ashton. Just saying that for all his faults, he is (annoyingly) rather good at rugby.

mindmap3
    Free Member

And he’s likely to do something bloody stupid and get carded / banned. He looked very very good when he first got capped but he never seems to have kicked on and worked on his deficiencies. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree…

Watson looks like he’ll be struggling to make the 6N opener with a hamstring injury.

anagallis_arvensis

Indisputable, but the likes of wade and may aren’t a lot better, if at all. I’m not championing a return to the england team for Ashton. Just saying that for all his faults, he is (annoyingly) rather good at rugby.

True enough although Norths defence is bad he’s better than Ashton

tjagain

Should we just pick a side full of all the annoying gits for the lions? Make NZ lose their collective minds and give up and go home or end up with 10 players carded?

wrecker
    Free Member

And he’s likely to do something bloody stupid and get carded

Unlike Brown/Liam/Hogg?

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree…

That’s what it’s all about! It would be boring if we all agreed.

It would be a huge shame for Watson to miss the 6N, probably affect his Lions spot. The kid is pure class.

Jeez, sitting through Glaws/Barf in the AW was like a man-test. The highlights will be short! Been Obano continuing to fail to live up to expectations, Brew looked OK though.

anagallis_arvensis

Brew looked OK though.

😯

binners

I just thought I’d leave a comment just voiced by Mrs Binners, a rugby league and ardent Wigan fan. We’re in a pub having just watched the footy, and the Rugby has just come on. Whoever against whoever….

“Pfft… pansy rugby is on. Lifting each other up like bloody ballarinas. What that all about? All they’re missing is bloody tutus!”

😆

Bear
    Free Member

I’d suggest mrs binners goes to see the size of some of the blokes that are lifted and tries to pick one up or run through them!

loum
    Free Member

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Despite his awful defence Saracens seem to have been remarkably good at not conceding tries when he’s been playing……

mindmap3
    Free Member

Despite his awful defence Saracens seem to have been remarkably good at not conceding tries when he’s been playing……

Because there’s 14 other well drilled players taking up the slack! His defence is poor; dragging players out by the hair, tackling too high and getting done for making contact with the eyes (a challenge that he didn’t need to make).

loum
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38777496

Nice Jim Telfer article on BBC.
    Decent Lions team but personally can’t see a cat in hell’s chance of that being the test side. Shame, really.
    Bit about Eddie Jones as Donald Trump , too.

“Eddie Jones doesn’t want to beat teams, he wants to demolish them, which I find a bit disappointing,” says Telfer. “To me, he’s building his whole team on set-piece and the building of the attack comes secondary. Having coached Australia and Japan you would have thought the opposite would be the case. The way he speaks, it’s a bit like Donald Trump. He wants to be the big man, you know?

“His goal is to win the World Cup in 2019 and so far it’s gone well, but I think he could be a little more circumspect, show a bit more respect for the opposition. He doesn’t seem to show much respect and it could come back to bite him.

:mrgreen:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

Jim Telfer is as mad as a box of Frogs… Johnny **** May!

Also too many welsh.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Much as I enjoy Jim Telfer’s musings I think he’s a bit off the mark about EJ.

Jones has always stated he wants a dominant set piece and a strong defence FIRST and then he’ll develop the attack.

His Lions XV isn’t too bad but I’d have Liam Williams in there at 11 or 15.

tinybits
    Free Member

Watson hasn’t exactly been setting the world on fire either!

May as well pick Tuilagi….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Eddie trying to be the big man (successfully) and Telfer trying to be Campese (less so) 😉

Is there a championship around the corner?

[Twickies may be sterile but at least its not a cess-pit of whistling at kickers]

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t see the issue with wanting to smash teams; the SH teams never give up playing when in th lead. The AB’s are relentless and never defend a lead as such, they keep playing.

anagallis_arvensis

So the beeb are saying we will see Itoje at 6 this weekend. Should be worth a watch. England team seems unbalanced with that massive pack but a fast and creative backline.
    Really looking forward to seeing if Ireland can match them upfront what else they have.

loum
    Free Member

two fly halves and three locks…
    wonder whats coming.

England Ireland is the last game of the whole tournament, every other question to answer first before that comes round.

Scotland look like they deserve some of TJ’s optimism. Best set of players they’ve had for a while and playing really well in domestic and Euro comps. Due a big win… or more…

Italy kept Parrise from retiring and beat SA. Due a big win…

Wales always good in Lions year and (quietly) coming off their best ever Autumn results. Ospreys top of the league and England and Ireland at home – Slam fixtures?

England gotta be favourites on this run, but The Vunipolas and Robshaw have been a big part of it so there’s a test of depth before they return. Should have the resources to cope.

Ireland coming off some breakthrough results but still have the ability to lose to anyone when they don’t get it right.
    Sexton, O’Mahony and Payne out at the same time would normally have been massive trouble but there’s startin to be a bit of depth coming through. Hopefully. 😉

Round 1
    Saturday 4th February – Scotland v Ireland (2.25pm) GMT unless stated.
    Saturday 4th February – England v France (4.50pm)
    Sunday 5th February – Italy v Wales (2pm)

Round 2

Saturday 11th February – Italy v Ireland (2.25pm)
    Saturday 11th February – Wales v England (4.50pm)
    Sunday 12th February – France v Scotland (3pm)

Round 3
    Saturday 25th February – Scotland v Wales (2.25pm)
    Saturday 25th February – Ireland v France (4.50pm)
    Sunday 26th February – England v Italy (3pm)

Round 4
    Friday 10th March – Wales v Ireland (8.05pm)
    Saturday 11th March – Italy v France (1.30pm)
    Saturday 11th March – England v Scotland (4pm)

Round 5
    Saturday 18th March – Scotland v Italy (12.30pm)
    Saturday 18th March – France v Wales (2.45pm)
    Saturday 18th March – Ireland v England (5pm)

Edit:
    France???

anagallis_arvensis

I think Ireland may edge it at home.

Wales always good in Lions year and (quietly) coming off their best ever Autumn results

What we beat a SA team that lost to Italy and needed a last min drop goal to beat Japan…pull the other one. If we do more than beat Italy I will be suprised. Look at the coaches the others have then look at ours? We are ****.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Home draws and early momentum could be interesting again

Eng adv of 3 home matched but Wales away (oops) and Ireland away to finish (?)
    Ireland only two at home but they are France and England
    Wales ditto but England and Ireland – two key ones
    France tough away matches and one OK one at home

Hmmm…

anagallis_arvensis

Italy team to play Wales

Italy: Edoardo Padovani; Giulio Bisegni, Tommaso Benvenuti, Luke McLean, Giovanbattista Venditti, Carlo Canna, Edoardo Gori; Andrea Lovotti, Ornel Gega, Lorenzo Cittadini, Marco Fuser, George Biagi, Abraham Steyn, Maxime Mata Mbanda, Sergio Parisse (capt).

Replacements: Leonardo Ghiraldini, Sami Panico, Pietro Ceccarelli, Joshua Furno, Francesco Minto, Giorgio Bronzini, Tommaso Allan, Michele Campagnaro.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Kruis is out of the England match with knee issues.

Looks like Maro will stay at lock with Lawes or Launchers (with which ever one doesn’t start as a sub). Interesting call to be made re the back row.

tjagain

I’m disappointed not to get a snigger or two for ” feeling a bit optimistic – is this premature jock elation?”

Scotland have the team and skills to beat anyone but do they have the self belief and the bottle? Its a big question.

3 wins is achievable no doubt at all.

England should win but I doubt a slam. Ireland are the next best and nothing much between the rest as can be seen for the rankings. ~so Scotland could either be third or last. as could any of the other teams

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here it is, everybody!

mindmap3
    Free Member

TJ – I do t think anyone will be taking your boys lightly this year given their form in Europe. If they believe they’ll be a challenge to beat.

I’m quite glad we have them at Twickenham given their poor record there!

This 6N is a real challenge for Jones and co with injuries to key players.

loum
    Free Member

England team to face France: Mike Brown; Jonny May, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Elliot Daly; George Ford, Ben Youngs; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (captain), Dan Cole; Joe Launchbury; Courtney Lawes; Maro Itoje, Tom Wood, Nathan Hughes.

Replacements: Jamie George, Matt Mullan, Kyle Sinckler, Teimana Harrison, James Haskell, Danny Care, Ben Te’o, Jack Nowell.

mindmap3
    Free Member

England team to face France: Mike Brown; Jonny May, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Elliot Daly; George Ford, Ben Youngs; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (captain), Dan Cole; Joe Launchbury; Courtney Lawes; Maro Itoje, Tom Wood, Nathan Hughes.
    Replacements: Jamie George, Matt Mullan, Kyle Sinckler, Teimana Harrison, James Haskell, Danny Care, Ben Te’o, Jack Nowell.

Largely as expected then – interesting that there is no lock cover on the bench.

It’ll be interesting to see how Maro goes at flanker at international level.

Will Lawes call the line outs like he did when we has first choice?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.