Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

Daly ahead of Nowel is a big surprise though.

JackHammer

So do we know if Dan Biggar is going to kick for wales or is Halfpenny back on form?

Twodogs

Dunno but disappointed that once again Wales have gone the conservative route and not brought any young players in

namastebuzz
    Free Member

interesting that there is no lock cover on the bench.

True but when you start with three locks on the pitch, you can go with two back rowers on the bench.

Daly ahead of Nowel is a big surprise though.

Apparently Nowell missed Tuesday’s training for personal reasons which may have had a bearing on his not being in the starting XV?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks Cap’n

anagallis_arvensis

Dunno but disappointed that once again Wales have gone the conservative route and not brought any young players in

Like who?
    Nicky Smith is a good young player, very few others an option imo.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Apparently Nowell missed Tuesday’s training for personal reasons which may have had a bearing on his not being in the starting XV?

Saw that when I read the BBC article – makes sense if he has had to miss some training. That’s two wings with a fair amount of pace – lets hope they’ve been working on their tackling technique given the size if the wings that France will be sending their way!

Weather forecast has improved a lot too.

Interesting reading the comments on the BBC – a lot of fans are really struggling with the idea of backs being out of position. I think Jones wants to adopt the Aussie approach where the number on your back is irrelevant.

anagallis_arvensis

Lets hope Daly has been working on his kick chase technique!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

To me England’s pack looks a little undercooked.

Hartley and Marler haven’t played at all recently. Cole has not been having a great time at Leicester. The second row pairing is the second choice one. Haskell has only played an hour or so in 6 months. Hughes has only started one game at No.8 for England. Itoje is playing at 6 and Wood is not a 7.

It’ll be interesting to see if the French pack can exploit any of that.

Of course, Launchbury and Lawes have both been in outstanding form, Itoje can probably play anywhere and the others are quality players and resolute competitors.

Looking forward to it…….

mindmap3
    Free Member

namastebuzz – I agree that the pack is where the French will try an exploit us. I am not so fussed about the personnel, it’s more the untested units.

I think the scrum will get munched by the French – I just hope that we take the Japanese approach (in and out as fast as possible). I have faith in the line out with three jumpers in there and would expect us to disrupt French ball.

Wood in his defence did OK at 7 in the AI’s – much better than I expected. Hughes is a hell of an athlete but he doesn’t give us the same amount of power that Billy does. He was very good against Aus though.

Their work at the breakdown will be key and that’s where they need to work really hard and well together.

tjagain

The scotland team is definitely picked to attack, attack and attack again. I like the look of it very much indeed.

Bluto ( ~Strauss) in for Barclay. Watson gets a start. Ford dropped for Brown. Inexperienced front row but Fagerson and Dell are good ball carriers nd in their limited international experience have done well and Watson is there to make a pest of himself. Pace all over the park. Expect the unexpected! High risk selection for high risk tactics.

Picked on form not reputation. I suppose we can’t afford to drop Laidlaw given how inexperienced much of the team are but I’d riather see price or Pyrgos starting with wee Greig onthe bench to steady the ship if needed.

Well Ireland – you know whats coming now if you didn’t before. Pacy offloading attacking from all over, high tempo game and going for turnovers.

wrecker
    Free Member

Quite excited by the ire/sco game. Interested to see if the irish try the choke given the new laws on high tackles, and to see if this high pace offloading game will just get steamrollered. Ireland are a lot better than Leicester or Racing!
    Lots of pundits fancying scotland as the dark horse this year

tjagain

Dark horse tag is ridiculous unless you haven’t been paying attention. NO one is going to take this Scotland side lightly anymore.

The big question is bottle – have they got enough? Twice beaten by Aus by one point in games they should have won and really should have won at least one more game last year but inability to close out games ie lack of bottle has cost them. Lets hope they have learned the lessons

Can Ireland weather the early storm coming their way? Can Ireland force Scotland to play without the territory? Can Russell bamboozle the Irish midfield as he has did to racing and Leicester? Will the Scotland pack get enough ball for the backs to work with?

One thing Cotter has said is he wants Russell to be running the game not Laidlaw – the main criticism the scots fans have of laidlaw is he slows the game down too much at times. Can he trust Russell and just get the ball to him?

Pigface
    Free Member

Will Hogg get sent off 😆

tjagain

Na – he has calmed over the last couple of years. Swinson is the main card magnet nowadays – I bet he does even coming on as sub.

mindmap3
    Free Member

TJ – I guess there is a bit of a question mark over Finn. He’s in great form, but will he try too much of the fancy stuff and not play enough of the pragmatic, safe stuff as he did a bit recently at club level?

Don’t get me wrong, he is a fantastic player. I just think that he needs to get the balance right between attacking / fancy passes etc and playing for territory. When that is sorted, he’ll be some player.

Personally, I think that Ireland Scotland will be the game of the weekend.

tjagain

MIndmap – in that club game you refer to it wasn’t so much he tried too much of the fancy stuff as he appeared not to be concentrating / to have relaxed too much so I don’t think that will be the issue.

But yes – control of a game is his weakness but he has shown better aptitude in game control recently ie against Racing in both games. He is young and inexperienced still but totally fearless – and he can try to win every game with one pass a bit too much but has shown signs of becoming a more rounded player.

Glasgow and to an extent scotland will play a high risk high reward game – and thus mistakes will happen.

One thing I think we will see is not much tactical kicking from Scotland – partly because they don’t do it a lot anyway and partly because kicking to the Ireland back 3 just gives them the ball and their back 3 don’t make many mistakes. I just hope Scotland don’t try to play too much rugby in their own 22 but I want to see them attack at every opportunity – I don’t think Scotland have the players to give away possession in exchange for territory. Better to play with the ball in their own half than play without it in Irelands.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is this the first time Moriarty has been a starter?

anagallis_arvensis

No Moriarty has started lots of games at 6 for Wales. Started a few at 8 in Autumn too.

I think Scotland will be bought down to Earth with a bump tomorrow..hope to be proven wrong as I like what they are doing but I think Ireland will be too strong.

duckman

Ireland will play like the lovechild of Munster and Leinster. If they can get to Murray better than Glasgow did then it will be game on. However we will miss Nel hugely and on the other side I believe that Furlong is the best tighthead in the world just now, and will give Fagerson a very, very hard time. An interesting game of two very different styles which I intend to be viewing through blurry eyes, having managed to comp hospitality…from a distiller.

wrecker
    Free Member

When you consider the bookies had Scotland at 25-1 earlier this week then the dark horse tag doesn’t look ridiculous at all.

loum
    Free Member

Think it’ll be an interesting match but don’t see a classic at all. The result is all important for both sides. Getting out of there with a 3-0 would be job done.
    Ireland look like they’ve picked a team to try and run through Scotland. Stander, SOB, and Henderson in the same lineup means one out and two out runners trucking it up all day. Would have been more variety and athleticism with VDF or POM in but that looks like a side for keeping it tight.
    Don’t see that Scotland will be that different, all relative, ‘cos they are a running side tbf.
    True, there’s some special players and real pace (with Russell and Hogg but they’ve left a lot of pace out in Bennett, Taylor and Scott. Team looks like Cotter’s taken the bigger, more physical options where there was a choice – eg Strauss, Dunbar and they’re picking for a battle not a try-fest.
    Weather forecast shows a shitty storm blowing in too. Think the game of the weekend will be elsewhere

loum
    Free Member

If they can get to Murray better than Glasgow did then it will be game on.

Interested to know what was your take on the “standing leg”

duckman

It was one of “those” ones; it was late and intentional…but prove it Mr Ref.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheating and foul play only counts if you wear a white shirt!

Strauss will be sure to target his ankle again. At least the kickers will be respected….

dantsw13

I’m in San Francisco this w/e – found an Irish bar near my hotel opening up at 6 for the Ire/Sco game, with eng/fra on after. No beer as I’m flying home later, but they are doing cooked brekkie

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Given the importance of momentum, S v I is the key match of the weekend in so many ways

Fun to have a neutral match to get the juices flowing first

tjagain

Not sure I agree Loum. Watson is small and fast and we have bigger centres available as well. Strauss is there on form and also to provide a ball carrier in traffic as thats not Watsons strength and to add a bit of ballast. I see it as a team to attack and to go for turnovers. Watson often outpaces backs and Fagerson is quick for a huge ( well wide) man and Dell is no slouch for a prop.

todays daft rugby factoids – Zander Fagerson was scottish DH mountainbike champion in 2010 ( age group I assume) and also sang in a choir. So when he puts that innocent props face on he actually is a choirboy not he simply looks like one!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

the main criticism the scots fans have of laidlaw is he slows the game down too much at times

He slows things down ALL of the time.

Slow to the ruck, slow to take a couple of steps before releasing a slow pass.

If you imagine the Scotland attack trying to flow down a waste pipe – he’s the big clump of bog paper and turds that’s blocking it up.

tjagain

namaste no he can give it zip and he is quick to the ruck – its just he often puts his foot on it and waits for everyone to be ready. I think its years of playing with rubbish 10s for scotland

cotter has said he wants Russell to control the game not Laidlaw so hopefully he won’t do this and not the useless box kicks either

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I think you’re viewing him through tartan-tinted spectacles TJ. 😆

tinybits
    Free Member

I think it’s great TJ is back with the normal over optimistic Scottish rugby report. I think last time there was a great revival about to happen they won a wooden spoon…..

(I don’t think it’ll happen this time but Glasgow vs tigers / Racing is a long way from Scotland vs England or France!)

gordimhor

Not as optimistic as TJ, I think 3 wins will be a good six nations for Scotland. Momentum could be crucial so if we can win the first two without any injuries then anything could happen. I reckon England and Ireland are the best teams though.

dantsw13

Any score predictions? I’ll kick off:

Ire v Sco 17-12 Ireland suffocate Scotland
    Eng v Fra 25-22. 2 players Red carded in a smash fest.
    Ita v Wal 15-17. Wales score at the death to salvage a win after a “Parisse special”

mindmap3
    Free Member

Putting aside the 6N for a sec….

George Ford is reportedly returning to Welford Road for £450k and Burns heading to Bath. If that’s true, Tigers are nuts. That’ll mean both FH’s are off to be replaced by one who isn’t really in the Tigers mold and is a squiffy place kicker. On top of that, they should be spending that money elsewhere really.

On top of that, he’ll be away for large chunks of the season.

And back on topic…

I’m getting more nervous about France the closer it gets to kick off. I think they’ll be a different beast to last year; better coach who has also had access to his players for the last two weeks.

tjagain

Ireland will beat scotland by smothering them
    England will beat france well
    Wales will struggle to beat Italy

Good luck everone

wrecker
    Free Member

Not so sure about england beating france well. We have a 5 at 6, a 6 at 7 and a 13 at 14. Robshaw and billy are massive losses for the team. Massive french pack, and NZ only just beat them recently. I predict a frantic game.
    Ireland too physical for the scots but close score, wales will beat Italy to a bloody pulp.

anagallis_arvensis

I think England will struggle but pull away and win by 12 in the last 20.
    Ireland will beat scotland by 5-10.
    and I am trying not to think about Italy Wales….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m going for….

France to edge it.
    Scotland beating Ireland in a wet drudge of a game.
    Wales to struggle past Italy in a dreadful performance.

mindmap3
    Free Member

England will struggle, especially in the scurm. Their defence needs to be good because there will be some big lumps heading their way.

Itoje at 6 isn’t to bad because he’s played there a reasonable amount for Sarries, Wood has played seven a lot for England and done Ok and Eddie seems les obsessed about an out and our seven these days (probably because there isn’t one….). As for the backs, other than FH and SH I think England will take a more Aussie approach where the good players just fit in and are adaptable (e.g. Beale).

I think Ireland will pip Scotland and smother Scotland in a very SA approach.

Wales will squeeze past Italy. They always start slowly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.