Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Rugby: Shane v Jason
  • anagallis_arvensis

So as the curtain comes down on Shane Williams career its time to decide who was best Shane or Jason. Any ewetube video evidence appreciated.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek6RuT7nOwM[/video]

or was Cau Cau better than both?

Pigface
    Free Member

This will descend into pointless bickering and nationalistic posturing therefore I am in.

Shane wins.

anagallis_arvensis

This will descend into pointless bickering and nationalistic posturing therefore I am in.

😆 as long as good natured who cares.
    For me Shane wins for being more of a playmaker, having said that Cau Cau was better than both but makes Henson look look like a model pro.

DezB
    Free Member

Rory 🙂

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ll take Gerald Davies please Chris.
    Final answer?
    Final answer.

transapp
    Free Member

Cau Cau would have been epic. However, in rugby terms possibly the biggest waste of talent going.
    Shane or Jason? One on one, Jason, every time. Also underated as an inspiration to his team mates. Also possibly the best cross code player.
    However, as someone who somehow always managed to squeeze through a gap, offload when it was impossible and score tries that simply wern’t there, I think Shane.
    Ah sod it, I’d shag them both.

transapp
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDKXCJ0Es70[/video]

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Er, just to add to the debate, can I say I was at the Ospreys v Dragons game, (behind the posts when he scored) and he did look a little ordinary throughout the entire game, apart from the last minute try, where he showed his slight of foot

transapp
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB1GBPKKktk&feature=related[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

he did look a little ordinary throughout the entire game

I think he gave up after the world cup tbh and he wasnt at his best then.

anagallis_arvensis

I think Robinson was wasted by England at fullback, should have been on the wing like he was for the Lions and given more one on ones.

this contains my favourite shane try v Argentina in Argentina, think the 15 is still untangling his legs
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bgr2p/Shane/

scaredypants

Don’t do rugby really so can’t comment except that I’ve just watched a youtube video of the caucau geezer and he’s great 😆

(is he a pisshead or something, then ?)

transapp
    Free Member

stoner and pisshead I believe

anagallis_arvensis

is he a pisshead or something, then

regularly goes awol back to fiji, fastest fat man in the world though!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Honestly, I had to do a “Jason who?” and think about it for a minute. No comparison, wee Shane is one of my favourite players of all time.

scaredypants

He has some top skillz, fo sho’

how are you after your op, anagallis ?

anagallis_arvensis

how are you after your op, anagallis ?

bored and sore, but thanks for asking!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Why do the Ospreys all have bunny tails on their shorts?

anagallis_arvensis

so we are all agreed Shane was better? Good.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXwCZG-eqA[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jason Robinson was the best at beating his man one on one I have ever seen. Shane Williams maybe the better all round player

Different players with different attributes

Pigface
    Free Member

TJ are you making a definate statement and then reversing your position and sitting on the fence??? Come on man this is a rugby thread it is either black or white no grey areas, you know the rules.

surfer
    Free Member

Robinson

DezB
    Free Member

Different players

Can’t deny that one! 😉

Scamper
    Free Member

Would rather not think about rugby at the moment, but

30 tries in 56 v 58 in 87 – both remarkable stats from remarkable players. The clincher is Williams had to play in some pretty average welsh teams.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

TJ are you making a definate statement and then reversing your position and sitting on the fence??? Come on man this is a rugby thread it is either black or white no grey areas, you know the rules.

Jason best at one part of the game – Shane better allround?

Pigface
    Free Member

Scamper things not looking good at Kingsholm whats going on, has Walkinshaws money run out? Or is his son wanting out of the club?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Vissers better than either. The flying dutchman

Far better Record in the Magners / Rabo that Williams despite playing for a team that gets humped regularly.
    *lights fuse and runs away*

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Speed, sidestep, handoff, vison , awareness[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJfiXefLaI[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Visser is a good player tbf, maybe a good outside bet for the Lions, qualifies for Scotland soon does he not.

However he is nowhere near the class of williams or Robinson.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂 Qualifies soon indeed. We will see when he is playing internationals just how good he is.

TimP
    Free Member

Only 1 of them scored in a RWC final…

anagallis_arvensis

Only 1 of them scored in a RWC final…

Its taken around 30 posts till someone came up with this pointless piece of info, well done. oh and one won three times as many grand slams than the other 😆

transapp
    Free Member

Visser does look good, but you can only compare once he’s done it on the international stage. Nice import though!

themilo
    Free Member

I’m English but live in Wales and have done for 15 years so i’d hope I’ve got a fairly balanced view. I loved Robinson, thought he was the dynamic that England had lacked (and still do incidentally) but I reckon Shane was better. He scored so many tries that he shouldn’t have and I feel that he contributed more, overall, to the game as a whole.

Shane for me…………..

Poopsies
    Free Member

As a rugby union player – Williams. As an all-round rugby winger – Robinson.

For me, Robinson was more exciting and dynamic to watch, Williams more elusive.

To be fair, I think Williams has only won twice as many GS as Robinson…

anagallis_arvensis

To be fair, I think Williams has only won twice as many GS as Robinson…

True… Ooops.
    Twice as many as ireland too isnt it?
    I still reckon Robinson was wasted at full back by england, he would have done more damaged on the wing. Once teams worked out a kick chase strategy against him he was screwed. Wales on the otherhand based their gameplan around shane, giving him mismatches and broken field positions. Overall its a close run thing equal on finishing, shane the better passer and more likely to create for others and Robinsoon a beter defender. Shame they never played together for the Lions.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My greatest recollection of Jason Robinson was in his final game for Sale against Bath in the season after we won the Premiership.
    Sale were 3 points down with no time left on the clock, and staring down the barrel of relegation.
    The sale forwards had the ball and were hammering at the Bath tryline, constantly recycling. Robbo was on his left wing (my right as i sat behind the sticks) and had stepped back a little – he’d also crossed himself!
    Can’t rememeber his name now, but Robbo’s opposite winger was the big lad who’d crossed codes from Leeds Rhinos.

Ball came out to Robinson and he started his run, The Bath player, under pressure to stop him (must have been a horrible position – one on one against one of the best finishers the game has recently seen) reverted back to his RL roots and went for the big, smashing stand-up RL style tackle…

Robinson serenely floated underneath his outstretched arms and slid over the tryline with 10’000 Sale fans going absolutely mental 😆

Admittedly, when he was allowed to take the conversion (game was won) he fluffed it horribly but who cared? 8)

As for who was the best? Who can really say, both incredible players with different approaches. Robinson has to be admired though for the way he veered close to personal destruction (hello mr Henson) before getting his act together and going on to be a model professional.

He was revered at EP not just for his on-field antics but for the way he conducted himself off the field, putting a hell of a lot of time into various charities etc.

surfer
    Free Member

@Muddydwarf

Have you been to the new stadium?

I have a season ticket for EP (BMI)not sure if I want to renew it for all standing particulalry as I cant make every game.

Garry_Lager

Taking a step back then it has to be Robinson – to be a truly dominant player in both league and union (for a sustained time in both) is a rare feat. As to who was the better union player – no idea 🙂 Contrasting styles but both got the job done in a big way.

anagallis_arvensis

Talking of off field antics i hear Mongo has been doing well at Sale.

England should have had the confidence to base their attack around Robinson but only ever seemed to use him as a last resort. Didnt he go on that Lions tour before he had played much for england. That try on the last page kind of annonced his arrival as far as i recall. Him, Wilkinson and Hill are amongst the few England players I consider human!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Rugby: Shane v Jason’ is closed to new replies.