Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • RP23 – different tuned shock on wrong bike?
  • el_diablo
    Free Member

Here’s the situation;

I’ve 2 bikes, an Orange 5 and an Orange Blood.
    Both have the same size RP23’s fitted. I need the 5 this weekend for a 3 day trip, but the rear shock isn’t very well. I’m thinking of taking the shock off my Blood and putting it on the 5. They both have the same rebound tune (medium), but the compression tunes are different. The 5 is low and the Blood is high (according to the sticker on the can).

What effect will it have if I stick the higher compression tune, where the lower one was?
    Also, are these settings only relevant when the Pro-Pedal is on?

…suppose I should ring Mojo really?

LoCo
    Free Member

The compression will have effect weather the Pro pedal is on or off as the oil will still need to flow through the compression system to a greater of lesser extent depending on if the PP is on or off.

You should be fine though, you’ll just find the shock a bit stiffer.

el_diablo
    Free Member

So it’ll feel like the pro-pedal is already on a bit?

LoCo
    Free Member

Not exactly, just the shock will take a bit more of a bump to give up it’s travel, although this maybe counteracted by a larger volume air can, if the Blood shock is fitted with one and the Orange isn’t as specs varied over the years.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Both the same slim can.

I’ll swap them over and see how it rides,

Cheers for the info! Much appreciated.

DezB
    Free Member

I had the wrong tuned shock on my Yeti for a while – pro pedal can counter-act the difference when pro-pedal is on, but not while it’s off.
    My Yeti needed a med tune and I’d bought a low, so it was a bit wallowy and blew through the travel (as they say).
    Not a major problem, the bike just feels much better with the right one.

I guess yours will be the opposite – not quite as active and a little stiffer on the dh sections.

LoCo
    Free Member

Dez, when the propedal is off oil will not be as resisted in it’s flow through the piston bolt of the shock there by mostly bypassing the primary shim stack and not having to over come the poppet valve, so on smaller hits it will be simialr to the softer tuned shock.
    On larger hits where more oil flow is needed the primary shim stack will need to come into play to allow a sufficiant amount of oil to be flowed, so the heavier compression tune will have a bearing on this.

Apologies if that’s what you meant and I’ve misread the above post 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘RP23 – different tuned shock on wrong bike?’ is closed to new replies.