Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Route advice for ‘ The black mountain ‘ western brecon beacons…
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

Hello,

Planning a few days epic riding here – there seems to be 4 / 5 BWS running north to south which all look tempting – I know BW out of the campsite near the dry ski slope is do able – am after trail info / conditions to make decent day loops – can anyone help out ?

cheers

paul

Ambrose

Hi Paul. I’m local to the area and IF this weather holds then the conditions are going to be pretty good.

Small loop- Dan yr Ogof (DyO) road to Cwm Giedd. Twiddly mapwork via picnic site and CaeMawr farm onto open hill. Cefn Mawr, Carreg Lem, Twyn tal y Ddreanen, the back to DyO. Do NOT be tempted to cut the corner at the northern end, it is a world of bog and hurt and it really isn’t worth the effort.

Tiny loop- evening ride? Up onto Cribarth via the tramways from Abercraf and return to CwmGeidd. Or vice versa.

medium loop- cheeky. circumnavivgate Fan Gyhirych via the South Wales Caving Club (parking) at Penwyllt. The area is pretty much out of bounds but the landowners are all pretty nice folks if you act in a quiet and responsible way.

There is a cracking ride around Fan Gyhirych, but not to be recommended in poor weather, as it climbs to almost 700m above sea level. It culminates with an awesome descent, long, fast and rocky. Apart from the road sections, none of it is on paths that cycles are allowed to use.

Start at Penwyllt quarries [856 155]; use the old tramway to head north to the top of the valley [870 195] and then north on the main road (A 4067) to the first right turn [889216] onto a minor road. After about 1 km take first track on right through old metal gates [896 222] and grind your way up almost to the top of the mountain. The track forks in a couple of places, just head uphill each time, telling yourself that what goes up must come down. There is a total of almost 1000 feet of climbing on this section, but it is long and gradual, and totally rideable.

Eventually you reach a high point of 680m, and begin to drop back to the valley. Go through the gate, and at the bottom, by the forest, turn left. (Turning right drops you down through the forest back to the old tramway).

Follow track for 200m; then take the faint path that leads southwest to join another old tramway at [873 168]. Continue SW along track, and enter Nature reserve, passing a collapsed brick building. Fork right here [863 161]. Drop down through the rock cutting, heading for the row of cottages (South Wales Caving Club) at the bottom. Turn right, back to the start.

Big loop. Sorry for the verbage, the links in ‘offroadadventures online’ seem to be dead.

THE BLACK MOUNTAIN RIDE- WESTERN BRECON BEACONS

With new, IMPROVED Grid References!

Distance = 40 km approx.

There is a fair amount of confusion about the difference between the ‘Black Mountains’ and ‘Yr Mynydd Ddu’ or ‘The Black Mountain’. Both lie in the Brecon Beacons National Park, but at opposite ends. The Black Mountain, or Mynydd Ddu, is a vast empty area of high moorland and mountain, at the western end of the park, rising to over 800 metres. It is crossed by a series of paths, some passable; others less so, some traceable, whilst others leave a lot to the imagination and the ability to use a map and compass. This is a seriously empty, fantastic place.

I have attempted to translate some of the place names, they can be quite telling.

Probably the best place to start is the Cross Inn, Llanddeusant, near Llandovery (773 259). See the website for details and views of the general area of the ride. The pub is just what is needed for the weekend.
    (http://www.carmarthenshire.org.uk/Ponds%20and%20Caravan%20Sites/cross_inn.htm)

So, to the meat of the route.

Cross the road from the pub, heading south down an increasingly steep lane, perhaps cutting off the corner under the bushes at Cwmllechach, (Rocky valley, 774 273) Nice and steep on loose red rock. Go for it. Continue up past the stream to the Youth Hostel at Llanddeusant (The church of two saints, 777 246), an alternative place to stay, but it has no beer and no warm up for the ride. The choice is yours. http://www.yha.org.uk/cgi-bin/process/hostel0105.html.

Down (South) once again, losing all that hard won height to the Afon Sawdde. There are a good few tales about this river, further up it’s the ‘Lady in the Lake’, whilst downstream it makes for some whitewater canoeing epics. Once over the bridge the tarmac abruptly ends at Gellygron (778 237) and you have to climb, climb, climb. Up as far as the fridd wall (the intake or mountain wall, boundary) it is really steep and obvious. I find it seriously hard work, so enjoy… once at the fridd (781 232) the route becomes less distinct, but just keep on heading up and south all the time. Rhiw Fer (the Iron? Slope) is horribly steep. After this you will meet plenty more hills, but nothing as bad. At the top is some excellent barren singletrack leading to the quarries, now little more than rocky outcrops.

At the old quarries at Carreg yr Ogof (The cliff of the cave, 781 215) stop, park up and wander over to the summit at 585 m. A good view. From here to Pen Rhiw Goch (‘The top of the red hillside’ 782 211) is more excellent narrow singletrack as far as the indistinct junction at Cwterydd Blaen Twrch Fechan (something to do with the court? at the head of the valley of the Little Twrch river 786 209).

The navigation begins to get a bit tricky here, if in doubt, try to stay high on the hillslope but don’t over exert yourself, as you do finally need to lose height. You are heading for the river crossing at ‘Ford’, 802 197, where a track is marked on the map. The track finally picks up at Twll Tal Ddraenen (807 190, my welsh collapses here, but it might mean ‘the hole in the end of a badger’, but don’t quote me on this!)

There is now six kilometres of singletrack bliss. The ‘Iron Lemming’ did this bit uphill, but I far prefer it this way- you decide). Head southwest down through the rocky outcrops. Just follow your nose until it looks like it is really going to drop down to the valley, Big time. This should be near some more old quarries- again little more than grassy rockfaces near the junction at 837 164. Take a hard left, heading steeply down, northeast to the Afon Haffes river crossing. And then down past the farm to the main road at the Gwynn Arms Pub. Time to stoke up on carbohydrates, although I prefer the Tafarn y Garreg about one kilometre up the valley.

Roadwork now, on the lane leading up over the moor from Pont Tywynni (850 172) towards Trecastle. It is a 230m climb; enjoy it over the six or so kilometres it takes. It is worse on the ground than it looks on the map.

Then down, down through Bwlch Cerrig Dduon (the pass of the black rocks) to Glasfynydd Forest (Blue Mountain Forest). The tracks and route finding here is a nightmare after the trees felled during the storms of November 2000 so carry on down the road to the road junction at Belfont (861 248). Turn left, northwest. Left again at Meity Fawr (851 257) and left/straight on-ish at Caerllwyn (846 258). By the time you have climbed the kilometre or so to Blaenau Uchaf (Upper Valley Head) (839 257) the hardtop has run out. Another kilometre to the head of the valley (829 257) and then turn right, north, towards the forest. Go past the sheep pens and into the forest. Beware of any gingerbread houses you might come across, and don’t talk to strangers. Head down and left at each junction. If in doubt, just head downhill. You will eventually arrive at the river Usk bridge at Pont’ar Wysg (819 272).

Wash bikes here. Then cycle in a leisurely but ‘I definitely deserve that pint’ type way back to the pub, five or so kilometres west along the road. The road goes west across the moor, with spectacular views southwards to the mountain scarp that you rode up at the start of the ride. Once the cattle grid is crossed the land of fields and hedges is regained, and the Cross Inn soon after.

An excellent day out.

All the best, Ambrose.

PS- The Cross Inn Pub has been re-named, possibly the Red Pig.

snowpaul
    Free Member

thanks so much ambrose – i might fire you an email in a few days once i have looked at the map again with the above info – many many thanks

paul

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jakethesnake
    Free Member

This reply goes way beyond the call of duty. Cheers Ambrose!

If you fancy a ride want to join us some local knowledge would be much appreciated.

hitman
    Free Member

Ambrose – seriously impressed with your reply
    Walked in this area years ago but have never biked so may well give it a go sometime although it does sound tough
    cheers

stratobiker
    Free Member

Wow Ambrose, that’s an awesome response!
    Good Karma

SB 🙂

Ambrose

no probs. I aim to please.

hearne_ogwen52athotmai1dotc0m

depending upon dates, I’ll guide too. The Dan yr Ogof descent is one of the best in Wales. Sublime. And pretty much unknown too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Route advice for ‘ The black mountain ‘ western brecon beacons…’ is closed to new replies.