Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Rooster
  • Candodavid
    Free Member

Sam has set up another kick starter for the Rooster, who’s up for it?
    I’m waiting on something else ATM, but hmmm! Never say never

link here

zigzag69
    Free Member

That’ll do nicely! Liking the July delivery date too.

peanut
    Free Member

ohhh, I could be in.

letmetalktomark

I was hoping for a delivery date/kickstarter further into the year 😆 😡

Its hugely tempting but do I need a Puffin and a Rooster? 😳

Interested in seeing if the Rooster has better/more clearance at the rear than the Krampus.

£400 seems very good VFM in comparison for what that gets you elsewhere.

Maybe I could buy one and build it later …….

zigzag69
    Free Member

Can’t argue with VFM – I’d been humming and hawing over a Salsa El Mariachi frame only at £395. With the Rooster, you’re getting a fork, plus the ability to run 29+ too for an extra £5. Oh aye, and EBB as well.

July delivery is a bonus too.

May take me a while before I can afford a nice 29+ wheelset and tires mind, but until then I’ll just run it with a standard set of wheels.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m in!

oxym0r0n

Tempted! Same problem with wheels and it needs to be blue to match the rest of my bikes!

Clobber
    Free Member

Kickstarter says that if enough backing is found then colour choice will be an option. (only one colour tho)

oxym0r0n

Saw that clobber – vietndw kite dark blue would be nice 😀 anyone know if the ebb is square taper compatible?

Clobber
    Free Member

Yep the ebb is not push fit it will take HT2/Sq taper/octalink/isis etc…

CriticalThinker
    Free Member

I’m in! 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

Still thinking ATM, something may have to be moved on, or this could become another pool bike for all the boys I ride with

Rorschach
    Free Member

Go on go on Go on go on Go on go on Go on go on Go on go on Go on go onGo on go on Go on go on Go on go on Go on go on Go on go on
    (going through my head continuously ALL day).

bullheart
    Free Member

Another month and I’d have been in for this…

(Sigh…)

eddie11
    Free Member

Doh. Like others I thought this would be later in the year. Go on go on go on go on go on go on. must reeeezisst

Sam

Thanks for the support guys! If the project is successful I will still be happy to take pre-orders at a preferential rate – though not quite so preferential as through the Kickstarter. An extra colour would be in addition to the yellow. Any other questions just shout.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Oh so tempted by this. saw one of the prototypes at the London Bike Show.
    Not so keen on the colour, but at that price a respray would not be out of the question.

What are the current rim and tyre options out there?

Clobber
    Free Member

29+ Tyre is limited to a 29×3 Knard at the moment I believe with a more knobbly 29×2.75 Dirt Wizard coming later this year.

Standard rim choice is a 50mm Rabbit Hole, but I think the Knard can go on a 35mm wide rim at a push so that gives you a Velocity P35 at 35mm or a newer Dually which is 45mm. Although I think Syntace do 35 and 40mm wide rims as well.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Cheers Clobber.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Hi Sam,

Is Switzerland EU or non-EU for the purposes of this kickstarter? (obviously it’s non-EU however often it’s grouped with EU for postage purposes)

Cheers
    Schweiz

Clobber
    Free Member

Don’t forget you can always run your standard 29er wheels/tyres and just have massive mud clearance until your favourite tyres come in 29+ flavour.

Clobber
    Free Member

Looks like more options are on the way now…

On another forum…

eddie11
    Free Member

Yeah maxxis are bringing some options out.

Clobber
    Free Member

So now you know tyre options are going to be prevalent…

GO SIGN-UP FOR A ROOSTER….

eddie11
    Free Member

Maxxis sidewalls will even match the yellow paint 🙂

More importantly I presume final models will have a headbadge?
    And why not a reverb sized seat tube, tyre clearance?

Sam Sam Sam

Sam

Schweiz – Switzerland would count as non-EU as you don’t have to pay VAT. Though shipping there is more expensive than elsewhere in the EU it’s not quite as much as say Antarctica. If you are really desperate to save the £20 back the EU version and I will ship it (assuming the project is successful).

Yes, there are more tyres in the pipeline but right now the Knard is your only available option. I am in touch with both Vee and Maxxis to see if we might be able to sort something on tyres if these do go in to production.

Yes, production frames will definitely have a headbadge – I am working on the drawing…

Seat tube will likely be 27.2 post sized but I could potentially be swayed if enough people want it.

Tyre clearance – needs a little tweaking but currently the Knard fits with around 8mm of clearance to the side knobs on the rear and more on the front.

Rik
    Free Member

Got to be 30.9 min seatpost

Sam

Why? The larger diameter ST makes a huge difference to the stiffness and ride quality of the frame.

Rik
    Free Member

Because if 29+ is to believed that it is capable as a trail bike rather than just a niche bike, then dropper posts are the way forward, and being 27.2 is very limiting in the dropper world for proper 125mm drop post.

Plus you’d be offering something different to the Surly alternative.

Yes it will make the frame a little stiffer but are you really going to be able to tell with super soft 3.0 inch tyres?

eddie11
    Free Member

Why? The larger diameter ST makes a huge difference to the stiffness and ride quality of the frame.

And what rik said.

Genuine question, will a larger seat tube/post change it that much? I would have thought running full 3 inch tyres would mask a great deal of frame subtleties anyway.

manmurray

In! Now the (im)patient waiting begins 🙂

bedmaker

Another vote for a reverb sized seatube. 27.2 is majorly offputting for me.

nuke

What Rik said. Another vote for 30.9/31.6 seattube…on my 29er I run a dropper in the summer for trail riding and then in the winter pop a shim in and run a 27.2 carbon post for a bit more forgiving a ride

Can’t quite make it out: does the medium (430mm ST) have a 584mm eTT?

Sam

Well, I think the larger seat tube does make quite a noticeable difference to the ride. To a degree that’s independent of tyre size, as you are comparing like for like. Otherwise you would say that all frames ride the same. Already this frame feels quite different from a Krampus. But if that many people are fixated on large dia dropper posts I will see what I can do.

Nuke, yes the medium ett is 584mm.

eddie11
    Free Member

Well, I think the larger seat tube does make quite a noticeable difference to the ride. To a degree that’s independent of tyre size, as you are comparing like for like. Otherwise you would say that all frames ride the same. Already this frame feels quite different from a Krampus. But if that many people are fixated on large dia dropper posts I will see what I can do.

Fair enough. For me I wouldn’t say fixated on a dropper it just seemed to make sense to do a slightly bigger tube if there s no downside given most dropper manufactures don’t seem to be convinced on supporting 27.2 but you are saying there is a trade off in terms of ride quality. I presume ‘different’ = worse

Sam

IMO the Rooster proto already rides significantly better than a Krampus, and other testers who’ve ridden both share that opinion. That is predominantly down to geometry at this stage I would say, though the tapered fork steerer makes a big difference. If anything it is perhaps a little overbuilt as it is, I am definitely going a little lighter gauge on the top and downtubes.

Part of the problem in speccing a steel frame for a larger seatpost (30.9 or 31.6) is the wall thickness of a steel tube. Generally you want about 1.2mm thickness for the top 120mm of a seat tube – so 30.9+2.4+0.2 = 33.5 OD, which you can’t get a seat clamp for, nor does anyone make it as a standard tube. So you need to go to a 34.9 OD seat tube (like the Buzzard)and a shim. That size tube really does make the frame much stiffer and IMO you lose a lot of that nice springy steel feeling.

Anyhow, mulling it over and will talk to my tubing suppliers.

bonesetter
    Free Member

What would the thoughts be to compare the Rooster to the Stooge?

Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)

eddie11
    Free Member

Didn’t the 30.9 Ragley blue pigs come with a little shim for seat clamp to solve what I guess must have been that issue?

Having to Add material and weight just to reach a standard clamp size sounds a bit rubbish. 😕

Sam

It would always be possible to have some tubes drawn and seatpost clamps made but of course this all adds to cost….

bonesetter
    Free Member

How would you quantify the differences Sam, between Rooster & Stooge?

I’m after a lay explanation to help decide.

Cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Rooster’ is closed to new replies.