Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • Rooster
  • ratherbeintobago

How would you quantify the differences Sam, between Rooster & Stooge?

I’m after a lay explanation to help decide.

Do they directly compare, given that one is a 29+ bike, and the other isn’t? Isn’t a better comparison Swift & Stooge?

mikemorini
    Free Member

I’m in 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member

I really don’t know, which is why I’m asking and why it may seem a naive question

Paceman
    Free Member

Very tempted with a Rooster, would be happy use a 27.2mm dropper if the ride was better, just a bit put off by the frame colour.

Sam

What would the thoughts be to compare the Rooster to the Stooge?

From the looks of it I would say that is closer to a Swift or Gryphon (both of which can fit 29+ in front and have loads of clearance at the back) than the Rooster. Though I can’t see a website or geometry charts so it’s kinda hard to say.

Sam

just a bit put off by the frame colour

An alternate colour is a possibility, but I don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of frames in the ‘wrong’ colour, which is why I have only ever done one colour per model. I’m thinking that if the project happens then I might get some frames sent raw which we can then have finished locally for an additional charge.

nedrapier

It’s hugely tempting but do I need a Puffin and a Rooster?

I’d quite happily have one of each. I could move some furniture around, I’m sure.

How much for the full set, Sam? Much of a discount? I’ve only got the Peregrine so far.

Sam

I’ll usually do a 10% discount for repeat customers, but as the Kickstarter frames are coming at a pretty heavy discount as it is I don’t really have much room to move.

yomstar
    Free Member

I love that yellow, I’m happy with 27.2mm dropper and not to mention that it looks awesome. The decision took less than a few seconds however trying to convince the significant other is going go take a little bit more time.

I’m in

mikemorini
    Free Member

I might get some frames sent raw which we can then have finished locally for an additional charge

That sounds like a great idea if you can pull it off. I’d like one in the lovely shade of green the Hummingbird came in. Reminded me of my grandads shed.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d love to see this come to through, just missing a few tick boxes for me though I’m afraid(colour choice and everything cages as options would help) I like the idea of moving towards lighter hgauge top and down tube for a zingyier steel feel. Would another kickstarter option of a package that includes a pair of Duallys or even a complete wheelset be a option?

letmetalktomark

Sam – My Skookum comes with a 30.9 ST needing a 33mm collar.

Its a lot nicer/comfier to ride than my Solaris was.

I had also wished that the Puffins (I have one on order 😉 ) had had a 30.9mm st as the huge volume tyres would have compensated for a stiffer frame*

I like the color of the Rooster.

8 days to find £400!

* I may/am talking out of my depth here 😆

Andy

27.2 seat post all the way for me to get as much steel spring out of the frame as possible. Otherwise may as well do an aluminium version.

I really wanted one of these when the thought first came up. I still do, would like to understand what the colour options are though? And also if the forks can take Salsa anything cages

Oh yeah and would be interested in a frame / dually rim version too 😀

IA

Hmm, I need to find the time for a proper look at geo numbers, but wondering if this would be such a bad idea run with a sus fork and regular wheels, then possibly go 29+ for winter months.

Always fancied a swift but have a lot of money in a nice taper fork see, and that yellow appeals….

OTOH this would bring me perilously close to niche bicycle activities and I’m not sure I want to grow a beard 😉

singlespeedstu

A have to agree that the 27.2 seat tube is putting me off too.
    The 29+ thing is just screaming out for a dropper post.

CriticalThinker
    Free Member

+1 for YoKaisers suggestion about the wheelset/rim option. 🙂

nedrapier

Sam, I was talking about one of everything. And not seriously, unfortunately. They’re pretty much all on the list, though! 🙂

boltonjon

I’ve been growing a beard ever since i ordered my Puffin

Its kept me nice and warm this winter 🙂

davidy
    Free Member

I might get some frames sent raw

I like the sound of that 😉

Sam

(colour choice and everything cages as options would help) I like the idea of moving towards lighter gauge top and down tube for a zingyier steel feel.

It’s looking likely I will offer an option of ‘classic Swift blue’ for backers and probably get a few extras painted this colour as well. Anything cage mount on the fork is an option now available to backers.

Would another kickstarter option of a package that includes a pair of Duallys or even a complete wheelset be a option?

If the project goes ahead then I will look into possible wheelset packages for backers.

Hmm, I need to find the time for a proper look at geo numbers, but wondering if this would be such a bad idea run with a sus fork and regular wheels, then possibly go 29+ for winter months.

Yes, that should work out OK with a fork up to around 100mm of travel. You have the EBB so you can adjust it to have a bit higher bb if necessary with the smaller wheels.

A have to agree that the 27.2 seat tube is putting me off too.
    The 29+ thing is just screaming out for a dropper post.

Not sure I agree (though I am not much of a saddle dropper anyhow) and it’s looking likely I will stick with a 27.2mm post. There are 27.2mm droppers available if people really feel the need.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Has the Rooster been tried with normal 29er wheels yet?
    If so, how does it ride compared to something like a Swift?

I really like the idea of the Rooster in Swift blue 😀

Sam

Yes, have ridden it with 29er wheels. It rides well but is quite a bit stiffer than the Swift, the front end geometry is also a bit different. The stiffness will change a bit for production to bring back a little of that nice zingy steel feel.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m not usually a fan of 29ers (they just look a bit ‘wrong’ to me), but that Rooster (in plain yellow) looks ace.

*might* even tempt me.

Andy

Blue you say? And sticking with 27.2 seatpost? Now seriously tempted 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Fantastic, I reckon prioritising seat tube size due to ride characteristic rather than to accommodate the majority of droppers a better bet. I’d personally be moer interested in the Rooster as a ECR alternative and the fact it rides like/better than a Krampus at other times is a bonus. I read a nice blog bit on the Rooster at an xc endurance race, show it has even more strings to its bow. I quite like the yellow now as well.

This could be goodbye Pugsley and Scandal hello Rooster, just need to run it by the Fun Sheriff noo.

ssboggy

Blue you say? And sticking with 27.2 seatpost? Now seriously tempted

Me too

Although I do like the yellow but if it was Swift blue I could do a frame swap with my Swift and tell the ‘Fun Sheriff’ I just got some new tyres 😀

Gotama
    Free Member

^^^ Hmm, yes, you make a very valid point there. 😀

richellicott
    Free Member

Sam, I think you should stick to your guns on this. I have no experience of building frames and what happens with ST size changes, and I would guess that the majority of people asking for a 30.9 don’t know as much as you either. Looks to me like you’ve come up with another great looking bike that you won’t struggle to sell!

riddoch

I like the idea of a wheelsets option, so far I’ve only find a ready built front. The rabbit hole rims do look nice.

boltonjon

Thompson dropper – will be coming in a 27.2mm size soon 🙂

riddoch

You also have gravity dropper and the xfusion hilo at the cheaper end of the market.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Hit it’s target of £15k.

Time to start planning and collecting parts 😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

IMO the Rooster proto already rides significantly better than a Krampus, and other testers who’ve ridden both share that opinion. That is predominantly down to geometry at this stage I would say, though the tapered fork steerer makes a big difference.

how does the geometry differ? (i have a Krampus)
    and how does a tapered steerer make that much difference?

Andy

So I wonder if we could get Robsson to do a batch of 700c 40-50mm rims? They do fatbike rims 26 x 80mm x 32 hole which are plenty strong and 950gms/ 780gms undrilled/drilled so comparable to the Surly offerings but only about £35!! I have their 80mm rim on my Mukluk and they work fine.

Given Duallys seem to be £120, a rim for £30-40 would be a fair saving of £160 on the bike 😕

Have dropped them a mail. Any interest?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

A cheap 50mm 29er rim would be nice 😀 65mm would be even better!!!

riddoch

I’d be interested in that Andy, I’ve got most of the other bits I’d need but wheelset was beginning to look very expensive.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I’d be interested too.
    Wheelsets are looking a bit pricey.

stevemorg2

Would also be up for a cheaper pair of rims though the complete build option for £1200 looks like it could be good value

munded

Yeah, interested in saving some cash on a rim here too.
    Just ordered fork for a 29+ front end for the solaris.

riddoch

Strada did a special wheelset for the Puffin, £610!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Rooster’ is closed to new replies.