Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rockshox SID at 120mm – anyone running them?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Alright chaps,

I’m looking at a new fork, after selling one of my SIDs. I’m not sure whether to stick with the SID or go to a Reba RLT ti, or a Fox 120 FIT.

I found my 2009 100mm SIDs on my current race bike to be a bit battering, and I’m not sure whether thats because they’ve just got the MoCo damper and not the BB damper.

I’m considering the 120 SIDs, but are they gonna feel a bit flexy with the additional length (I know my old Revs feel considerably more flexy at 130 than at 110). The QR15 will help with the torsional stiffness I’d assume.

And…. will the BB damper feel more akin to the Fox damper in practice, as for me Fox have the plushest feel I’ve been able to dial in.

Interested in any experiences anyone has.

Cheers everyone

Ricks

wbss
    Free Member

I’ve never noticed much difference between BB and Moco. If anything I prefer MoCo. (Based on actual riding – not car park squishing), and conversely to your experience, I’ve never got on with any Fox (depspite them looking trendy).
    I run 09 Rebas which have been sweet. Even for rock smashing!

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmm…

The 120mm chassis for the SID is actually different to the 100mm chassis, so looks like it should be stiffer.

The BB MoCo should definitley be better, as it has high speed damping as well as low speed damping. Could just be that the fork you tried/used was not set up quite right.

I do like the standard MoCo, but do find it packs down on multiple big hits.

Janesy
    Free Member

my 120 SID’s are great.

sam_underhill

My RLt Ti 120mm SIDS are awesome. No more flexy then than my old u-turn Rebas (~2005 model).

z1ppy

my 120 SID’s are great.

So is BB damping, much better than Moco (not that Moco is bad), no experience of fox so can’t compare them though.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Would be keen to here on this as thinking of doing the same. Do i go 100mm qr or 120mm 15mm?

Just wondering if i would really tell the difference from the maxle over qr for xc riding?

Oli

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve been running two sets of 100mm SIDs, so I’ll be able to let you know if the change to 120mm and QR15 is noticeably better.

My SIDs were setup and tuned for me my LoCo Tuning, with special oil and some little tricks – so were as good as they would ever get. So it’ll be interesting the see what the difference is between the MoCo and BB, the stiffer chassis, the QR15, and the longer travel.

I’ll post up a review next week when I’ve had chance to ride them back to back.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

That would be great. I have just been offered a great deal by a friend on some 120mm QR15 sids so would be good to see what you think

Oli

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I’ve just switched from a set of Fox float 100mm to a set of SID XX 120mm forks with a 15mm maxle-lite set up.

Really impressed. Only down side is that you can’t tune the end stroke rebound speed on any of the XX forks/shocks. I find the factory set up a little too fast for my liking

rickon
    Free Member

Right then,

Now had two rides on the 120mm SID RLT ti. The first ride I didn’t set them up at all, apart from a slight reduction in the positive air chamber – I was in a rush, and didn’t really have time. They felt like the 100mm SID Races.

Went out last night for an interval session, adjusted the +ve and -ve chambers to what I usually run, and set the damper to 3 clicks from fully off/open.

The difference was huge, they’re so plush through the travel, they track incredibly well – the increased stiffness is immediately apparent when compared to the QR. They have a very very similar feel to the Race (which is to be expected, as they’re based on a very similar chassis and design), but reduce a lot of trail chatter at high-speed.

For me it’s worth the upgrade, but if you’re the sort not to notice subtle differences in riding, i.e. the high-speed damper then the Race/RLT are more than adequate for the job.

banger
    Free Member

Anyone had problems with setting up the sag on the SID XX? Unless I have less pressure in the lower leg (60psi) than the upper (100psi), my forks seem to drop 20mm. Am I being stupid? I always thought that the pressures in the top and bottom legs should be the same?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox SID at 120mm – anyone running them?’ is closed to new replies.